Microsoft Security Essentials Uninstall Problem

login123

• Moderators

If it's any help Login, I'm running an HP computer (Presario 2006), and this is all I have in my startup courtesy of CCleaner, which actually mirrors the "msconfig startup" tab.

2012_02_27_194547.jpg

If it wasn't for the 4 user added entries (Erunt, RocketDock etc) there would only be Avast there.

It's surprising how many things run at startup which you really do not need to run. The secret is to disable them only, and then you can always enable them again.

I was 100% sure about the ones I would never enable again, so I deleted them to clean the display up. Yep, just didn't like looking at them. :)

That is the situation here exactly. Great analogy, the car running, just in case. This computer is already noticeably faster, just from disabling the start-ups for the HP clutter.

After that last reinstallation the extra stuff was all back, of course. I was trying to pick the flyspecks out of the pepper, one exe at a time. Bad idea.

Dennis, your post puts it all into a neat perspective: Disable the start-ups, test the system for a while, uninstall the clutter, run CCleaner: Good idea. :)

Hazel, I couldn't for the life of me remember to use msconfig. Probably shouldn't admit that, but there it is. Had to google it for pete's sake. Tier one brain cramp.

Am now going to pin taxi fare and a map to my house in a shirt pocket, in case some nice person finds me wandering around in the shopping center.

Thank you again. Will post back the final result.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
Am now going to pin taxi fare and a map to my house in a shirt pocket, in case some nice person finds me wandering around in the shopping center.

That sounds like a plan. :lol:

Funnily enough the other week I was in town, and for some inexplicable reason I suddenly found my self back home, and for the life of me, I couldn't remember how the hell I got there.

And then I remembered I was wearing a pair of these ...

Thankfully, I was still in the same time continuum!

Be extra careful using ServiWin, it can really mess stuff up if you remove the wrong thing with it.

From what I remember, it was great at identifying what third party application was responsible for each service,

and allowed me to capture a text report of the automatic / manual / disabled status of each,

and to allow me to change the status.

I was able to quickly cleanup a friend's Vista Laptop by knocking down a level many such third party apps.

I cannot remember, but if there is an ability to delete a service that could be risky.

Also it is safer to look at Black Viper for advice on Microsoft services.

I also made a partition image before I did any work on it.

The a307x is now doomp free. Runs very well actually. I can not thank you all enough for the help.

Hazel, after all was said & done, I just took the safest route I could think of. Re-installed windows from the native restore app and used the native uninstaller for each of those oem HP apps. They're gone now, along with those software offers. You were right to be concerned, something was amiss down in the depths of windows. Not sure what. Never did manage to fix it until re-installing windows.

Alan & Andavari, thanks for the heads up on those apps; they are great, and dangerous.

Dennis, as soon as the updates finish, sometime in August I guess, I shall disable all the unnecessary services.

Kroozer was right also a while back, it took a lot of time, not worth it except as a learning experiment and a thumb in the eye of planned obsolescence. :P

Many thanks again.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Just put Ubuntu on it, if all else fails.... :P

Haha

Yah. thought about it more than once. In between expletives. :lol: This is not my computer, but I do have one older than it is, might try it on there.

Of course, with you having a regular Manufacturer XP disk, you know it will always cause more problems than just having a plain XP setup disk due the customizations specific to the machine your installing to, don't you?

Just asking... The impressive thing to me about Ubuntu, is I had a laptop I was doing for someone, & none of the Windows variants I tried would get past bluescreening at some point, because of failing hardware.

But Ubuntu would attempt to install, see the error, & after 2 or 3 tries, it would be up & running, & basically ignoring the errors. No bluescreen, just stable.

I was like, what, what? Windows can't do this? LOL!

You're right there. The oem photography apps from HP have caused no end of grief here. Sounded like a kid with a new drum set around here for a while. :P