I goofed.. CCleaner cleaned my Firefox session restore. can I retrieve?

raiderluvr

Hello everyone.

CCleaner cleaned my Firefox session restore. can I retrieve?

Is there anyway I can find/retrieve/restore my lost Firefox session restore files? I've tried Recuva and looked in my recycle bin. I'm running windows XP

I had quite a few tabs open in Firefox that i was continually going back to every time I turned the computer on. any ideas?

TIA

John

• Moderators

systemrestore fixes system errors not file restores

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks, Nergal. I was under the impression that it did restore certain files, but left My Documents alone. From Microsoft website:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

How does System Restore work?

System Restore uses restore points to return your system files and settings to an earlier point in time, without affecting personal files.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

You may be correct there, but it has been my experience that System Restore occasionally does cause certain files/folders on Desktop/Program Files/etc. to disappear or reappear upon a restore.

Example: You install AVG & run it for a few months. Then, uninstall AVG. Then delete the remainder folders from AVG after a reboot. Try to restore to a prior date that you had AVG. It would show files/folders from AVG, although AVG service may not be running & AVG components may be missing.

I know this would happen sometimes under XP, but I am not fully certain if Vista or 7 had this problem.

System Restore is a (un)Lucky Dip.

On XP Home I found that when I restored to a previous date it did not have a clue about the Firefox Cache,

so it resurrected the old and retained the latest,

and applied a (2)suffix name change to one of them but never had the courtesy to tell me which was what - apart from a message before Restart when I could not capture it.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

trying not to start new thread, this one was most similar. Can I undo (delete) before exiting out of CC.

I haven't exited out of Cleaner or written over.

CC Program still open all files in view I can save as Text only.

I failed to click and set as default to save to registry before cleaning.... I know? It is set now,

6 files total List below checked for cleaning

Internet Explorer "Temp files", "Cookies" System "Recycle Bin", "Windows Error Reporting " Advanced "Old Prefetch data " " IIS Log Files "

Is it Possible to recover files while still in view. Undelete button anywhere?

suggestion of one..will post in proper thread for that.

Thanks

I love this program, I have used it for several years,never a problem,

Always great pop ups explaining if I check I may mess up always explained well.

This one was my bad Any Suggestions, I don't think restore will bring files I cleaned back, Or will it ?

Thank You for your time,

Respectfully,

Kimberly

Indiana, USA

• Moderators

3 things

1 there is no undoing a cleaner section clean, sorry.

. 1b always analyze before clean and look through the results of analyze.

2 registry back up is only for registry cleaning. it doesn't back up to registry it makes a .reg file which can be reintegrated into the registry (in most cases) at any time

2b if you do use the registry cleaner, at ANY TIME, follow the advices in my signature (words below my post)

3 please in the future start your own thread, as, though it may look simular it usually isn't.

4 Welcome to the forum, most of our members are much nicer than I.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

The question to ask, I would assume, if recovery is needed is: What are the files (file names) that are deleted for Firefox/Chrome/IE in order to get back -a-lost history -b-lost tabs etc. Once this is known then recovery software can be used to try to recover those exact files. Does anyone know? The only one I know of is "index.dat' file which alone can do some help but will not recover the history