Ccleaner taking too long to clean after analyzing

jamesbond

I am not very technical when it comes to working with pc software issues. I have a Dell XPS 410 PC that is about 5 years old. Came with MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS SP2 installed. Have been running pretty well until about a few months ago. Having a deletion issue ongoing. Windows Explorer hanging up every time I try to delete a file(picture files, favorite links, transfer from photo gallery to webshots,). The "Calculating Time Remaining"dialog comes up and just sits there unitil I eventually try to close it (sometimes in excess of 30+ minutes). I get a message that Windows Explorer has quit working, a lot of data collection activity goes on, and then problem report sent to Microsoft. Spoke with a Dell Tech who remote accessed my pc and did some trouble shooting. He set up a Safe Mode in guest mode and was able to delete files and send them to the recycle bin. The delete process operated as normal, but when going back to normal OS system mode, the delete hanging issue returned. He seemed to think the problem is somewhere in the current installed OS and came to the conclusion that I need to back up critical files and do a OS uninstall and come back with a fresh copy; which I am not happy about. We did some defragging, disk cleanup, and he installed Ccleaner on the pc. He seemed to like this tool a lot better than some others that are out there. So, here is where I am. Seems like Ccleaner is working very well when you click the analyze button. Keep in mind my PC is almost 5 years old. It shows in the results screen quite a bit of old stuff that should help the situation once removed. One problem: when I click on the cleaner button, the process starts but the green processing bar just sits at 2% complete even after I leave it active for almost 2 hours. I walk away from the PC and return and find after an additional hour, it is still sitting at 2% complete. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IS HAPPENING? I just got an update message last night from Piriform that an update for CCleaner was available. I downloaded that update. The version on the program installed is now V3.15.1643 (this is of course, the free version).

The computer seems to still work smooth. I have a family member who is pc technical and informed me if I do decide to try the OS uninstall I need to upgrade to Windows 7 ( he says Microsoft has a lot of issues with Vista as the reason Windows 7 came out so quickly). Right now, I am just looking for another alternative to this deletion hangup issue. Instead of the files being quickly sent to the recycle bin, it just does into the aforementioned "Calculating Time Remaining" cycle. But then I can't get the Ccleaner to quickly remove what it says is junk after clicking on the "run cleaner" button.

PLEASE HELP. VERY FRUSTRATED AT THIS TIME.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of cleaning everything, try this ► In the Windows/Applications panel, right click one default ☑ ticked item at a time and clean, to ascertain what's hanging.

Hello Kroozer. Thanks for the advice. When I right clicked on each of the ticked items, I was was then able to clean. One thing though, is it advisable to remove system and application files that the cleaner has selected as items that require removal. Also, what about virus protection system files( I have McAfee) ? Even though I clean using the method you suggested I try, just clicking on run cleaner rather than each individual item results in the 2% hanging issue. I still was unable to determine what's hanging. i just know that doing it your way gives me the clean remove action. Any ideas on the other issue I mentioned relative to deleting picture files(this is separate from the Ccleaner process). If I simply want to pull up a picture from my picture file and click delete to send it to the recycle bin, that's when I get the slow delete window popping up instead of a quick send off to the recycle bin.The little white cursor that shows the process activity (byte by byte) on the green bar is slowly moving in a circular manner. The file should disappear immediately showing it has gone to the recycle bin. I have another photo program system installed on my pc (called WEBSHOTS). If I try to drag the file to its documents folder (called webshots data), the same action as in attempting to delete occurs. In both cases, I have to do an end task which cancels the delete action. Strangely enough, when I open up my webshots folder and look for the picture file, it has somehow been transferred. Crazy isn't it? Like I indicated in my initial post, the Dell tech seems to think it's something in the Vista OS that has somehow gotten corrupted that interfers with the normal delete action to send items to the recycle bin. He says the only way to really clear this up is to do a Operating System uninstall. I understand that can be a problem when doing a reinstall of the same. He offered to walk me through that process.( I guess he is not supposed to do this since I only had hardware warranty; not software). He is convinced I have a software isssue; nothing wrong with the pc. You would think that Micosoft would have some sort of OS patch that could be downloaded to fix this kind of problem in lieu of a total OS UNINSTALL AND THEN REINSTALL. You ever come across or know anyone online who has experienced this? I would love to entertain any workable solutions.

. . . is it advisable to remove system and application files that the cleaner has selected as items that require removal. Also, what about virus protection system files( I have McAfee)?

CC removes unneeded temporary files, logs, and just about anything you want deleted/overwritten to protect privacy. This explains what CCleaner does, and how to tweak your settings.

. . . I get the slow delete window popping up instead of a quick send off to the recycle bin.

You may have a corrupt Recycle bin, and this tutorial shows how to fix it.

. . . He says the only way to really clear this up is to do a Operating System uninstall. . .

I do this only as a last resort. Try the Recycle Bin reset, and if that doesn't cure it some of the members may offer more advice.

Edited by Nergal
Localized tutorial

• Moderators

You need to run a System File Check.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

(bear in mind Vista has an ongoing thing with SFC which says some corrupt files cannot be repaired, but when you look in the cbs log it only shows errors with Vista sidebar.. this is normal)

Perhaps a local repair shop may be a better bet for you as it sounds like there are software conflicts.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi Hazelnut! Thanks for the suggestion. I followed the link you referenced that took me to the microsoft system file checker tool. Using the scannow prompt, which took about 20 minutes to complete, the results showed there were no invalid files entries that needed repairing ( I assume if it would have found some corrupt files the data results would have so indicated on the screen). It just indicated that the verification scan was completed and that no invalid files were found. I have not tried the method that our fellow member above (Kroozer) suggested regarding resetting the recycle bin as yet. After reading the link to the tutorial she indicated, that seems to talk about once you have delete items in the recycle bin. Mines is a little different. When I try to delete a picture files or even one of my favorite links on the desktop, there is not a quick send off to the recycle bin; it just sits there with that crazy screen showing the green bar and cursor slowly going back -n- forth( I have sometimes just let it process for over 60 minutes) and still it just keeps cycling byte by byte of the file size. I just give up and have to end up doing an end task action to get it to stop. This has been going on for about 4 months now. I got so frustrated the first time this started that I did a start>shutdown and to my surprise windows let me know right away that it could not perform the shutdown since this deletion action was still in process. In order to complete the shutdown action I had to click on the shutdown button in the screen menu to finally complete the pc shut down action. I was told by Dell that I may very well have to do a Operating System uninstall and come back in with a fresh re-install. I am not happy with that kind of action nor do I feel technically comfortable performing the process myself. There has got to be another fix for this sudden glitch. Not too sure about trusting a local repair shop; would like to exhaust other alternatives. Do you know any other fellow members who might have experienced this slow file deletion issue? Luckily, I don't have a problem deleting my emails; that would really be a mess.

• Moderators

I would defiantly give the 'corrupt recycle bin fix' that kroozer mentioned a go, it cannot do any harm anyway as the bin gets re-created after reboot.

I see from what you wrote that there is no issue with deleting files in safe mode, this suggests something you have running in 'real' mode may be preventing this.

Are you admin on the account you run with?

When you try to delete the files, open the task manager (right-click on taskbar and select task manager) select the processes tab and see if anything is using a lot of cpu etc

I see you use McAfee av.

Have you tried uninstalling it (as a test) rebooting twice, then trying to delete the files?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
How to How to Reset the Recycle Bin in Windows Vista

How to How to Reset the Recycle Bin in Windows Vista

Sometimes the Recycle can become corrupted and prevent you from deleting files from it (or emptying it). By following a few simple steps, you can give full functionality to your Recycle Bin.

First, you need to be able to view hidden files and folders as well as protected operating system files. To do this:

1. Click the Start button.

2. Select Computer.

3. Press the Alt button on your keyboard to get the Menu to appear.

4. Click Tools and select Folder Options.

5. Select the View tab.

6. Under Hidden files and folders, make sure the Show hidden files and folders radio button is selected. Make sure the Hide protected operating system files checkbox is unchecked.

8. Click OK.

Now you’re ready to work on the Recycle Bin.

1. Select your C:\ drive (if your PC is running more than one OS, select the drive That Vista was installed on).

2. Find $Recycle.Bin.

3. Delete $Recycle.Bin by right-clicking the file and selecting Delete.

4. When asked if you want to permanently delete this folder, click Yes.

5. When asked to confirm the action, click the Continue button.

6. When the UAC prompt appears, click the Continue button.

7. When asked if you want to permanently delete this folder, click Yes.

8. The Delete File dialog will appear, check the Do this for all current items checkbox and click the Yes button. By clicking the checkbox, you will avoid having to confirm the deletion of each file.

After the deletion process has completed, restart your computer. When the system has restarted, the Recycle Bin will be fully functional once again. You can now go back to Folder Options and return the viewing of hidden files to their default settings.

Originally posted by RituKamal Aggarwal. Copied here to prevent later dead links and/or malware

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com