Wondering About Amount of Time Defraggler is Taking

aa040371

I second that. I always defrag on a per-file basis. Much faster and some files can even be excluded from defragmenting. I am not using common defrag anymore because I have an issue with it: it tends to shuffle ALL DATA around, even if there is little fragmentation and on some partitions it takes ages to complete.

I second that. I always defrag on a per-file basis. Much faster and some files can even be excluded from defragmenting. I am not using common defrag anymore because I have an issue with it: it tends to shuffle ALL DATA around, even if there is little fragmentation and on some partitions it takes ages to complete.

Isn't feeling forced into doing only the file defrag indicative of a problem with the main Defraggler? It doesn't seem right that you, me or any user is avoiding the main Defraggler function. I'm agreeing with you BTW, as I mostly do the file defrag. But to me it indicates a problem, real or perceived... just sayin' ;)

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

Isn't feeling forced into doing only the file defrag indicative of a problem with the main Defraggler?

I think not. It's a better alternative, and the inventor deserves praise. :)

Shuffling everything on the drive is a massive task compared to defragging only the files. Why go the long route when there's a quick shortcut?

• 3 weeks later...

So................ just downloaded free version, 250GB hard drive, 132GB free, 15% total fragmentation, about 50 fragmented files as I recall, it's been running for a half hour, and 12 hours and 30 minutes to go.

Do I read these posts to mean I should rapidly switch to just the files? and if so, I tent to agree that this option should be highlighted for us amateur newbies. Had I not wormed my way into and registering for these forums, I would have uninstalled the program and given it unhappy reviews should anybody have asked me.

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

The program is very good if you just select all your files, and the free space defragmentation is very effective, but the full disk defragmentation is incredibly slow. It seems just as concerned with consolidating free space as the free space defragmentation (so most of the time it is moving unfragmented files), which wouldn't necessarily be bad except that it also copies files a lot slower. With the free space defrag it was copying several sectors at a time, whereas with the full disk defrag it's copying files one at a time at a slower rate than my heartbeat (these are all small files). Also it has a bad habit of just stealing data from the next sector, so it moves the drive 1 sector at a time, copying files into that sector 1 file at a time, from the neighbouring sector until each sector is full (with the exception of when there are no files small enough to fit, then it will look ahead until it finds one).

It's unfortunate that you have to use the full drive defrag to move large files to the end of the drive, because that is also a good feature.