Computer start-up longer after running CCleaner

mike20021969

This has been happening for a while - if I DON'T run CCleaner before shutting down computer (i.e. Turn Off), my computer boots and is ready to go in less than 3 minutes.

However, if I DO run CCleaner before shutting down computer, my computer takes almost 9 minutes to boot then ready to go.

The delay is on the Welcome screen. It stays on the Welcome screen for around 6 minutes while the hard drive is doing "something".

I've been keeping my eye on this and it only happens when CCleaner is run between computer boots (although I normally run last thing before Turn Off).

Also, it is only when I run CCleaner section. If I just run the Registry cleaning, there is no problem.

It seems CCleaner is cleaning something it shouldn't hence the long boot time.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what is going on?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Additional Info:

I just had a thought it might be down to me adding custom folders and files to clean. So I deleted all my custom settings, ran CCleaner - there is still a delay in computer booting time after running CCleaner.

So it must be down to a box that I have checked somewhere in CCleaner.

I've attached an image of what I have checked.

Maybe something in System or Advanced could be unchecked?

post-24010-0-49757100-1326975932_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

As well as the info Noodles mentioned that we need, try right-clicking on each area of Windows ccleaner items in left hand side of ccleaner screen (Internet Explorer, System, Advanced) and select 'restore default state'

You don't seem to be running Winapp2.ini so we can rules that out.

Also can you post a screenie of your startup list from the Tools section of ccleaner.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Which Windows & CCleaner version? Do you have Superfetch/Prefetch enabled?

Do you use Windows Search/Indexing? You could try unticking "Old Prefetch data" & "MS Search".

I'm Using Windows XP SP3. CCleaner 3.14.1616.

Prefetch - there are files in the Windows Prefetch folder - does this mean it's enabled? I've not heard of Super Prefetch.

Windows indexing is disabled. NB The long boot times only occurs after running CCleaner.

I just tried this:

I disabled everything on the Advanced tab, then ran CCleaner. Reboot computer. There is still a long in boot time (therefore it cant be related to Advanced cleaning).

Immediately after this boot, I boot computer again without running CCleaner - 3 minutes then I'm good to go. This indicates it cannot be related to my start-up items (thumbnail attached) either.

Regarding unchecking MS Search, I cant see that option to uncheck that>?

post-24010-0-59404000-1326993435_thumb.jpg

try right-clicking on each area of Windows ccleaner items in left hand side of ccleaner screen (Internet Explorer, System, Advanced) and select 'restore default state'

I restored System, ran CCleaner and boot time is now solved. Result. Thanks.

I've also narrowed down the culprit setting to either DNS Cache or Font Cache - I suspect it's the latter as I have 1697 fonts :o (Does this mean on every boot the fonts have to be cached all over again?).

I'll try running CCleaner with DNS Cache enabled later to see how, and if, that affects booting.

The checked boxes in the thumbnail below currently gives me back my 3 minute boot time. Thanks for the help :)

post-24010-0-51017300-1326995412_thumb.jpg