Option to move directories to end of disk

rjo98

I use the option of moving large files to end of disk to move ISO's and other stuff I rarely use, but any thought to adding an option where you can select a directory to move to end of disk as well? Would be a nice option for if you have backups, tons of old photos, etc that you rarely access.

I use the option of moving large files to end of disk to move ISO's and other stuff I rarely use, but any thought to adding an option where you can select a directory to move to end of disk as well? Would be a nice option for if you have backups, tons of old photos, etc that you rarely access.

In my experience, moving a very large file takes time :-

A long time as data was written to destination and deleted from source, but only when source and destination are in different partitions / drives;

Almost zero time when moving between directories in the same partition because nothing gets written or deleted apart from a few sectors in MFT or FAT directories.

One directory does NOT contain, but DESIGNATES the files it lists, and these files can be randomly placed and using sectors at opposite ends of the disc.

• 7 years later...

Old topic, but still relevant (as I don't think this has yet been implemented).

When the OP suggested moving a specific *directory* to the end of the disk, it was quite obvious to me they meant the files contained *IN* that directory, not the file table entry as you commented.

Take for example my brother's computer (or the in-laws system even).  I had copied over much of the contents of their previous computer to a sub-directory on the system.  This way if there were some files that were needed but not obviously placed, they could be recovered from that back-up copy.  But as they are an 'archive' of the old system, they aren't going to be changing (if they were going to be updated/edited, they'd either copy or move the file to the active documents directory, etc).  As they are no longer actively changing, no sense in keeping them in the middle of files being actively changed ("actively changing" can include OS and application files as well as data).  The same goes for various video files.  If they're bulky and unchanging, might as well get them out of the area of most activity.