Hotspot Shield - missing in Startup

Selvan

Hi,

I just noticed that CC is not detecting Hotspot Shield as a startup item that can be disabled.

Only the Explorer browser helper object - "Hotspot Shield Class (HssIE.dll)" is.

When HSS is set to start with Windows, it starts the three services listed below.

The one in bold still starts even when HSS is set to NOT start with Windows and

the only way to get rid of it is to uninstall HSS.

I hope that if and when I use CC to disable it, all three services will be disabled.

openvpn.exe

openvpnas.exe

openvpntray.exe

CC v3.13.1600

HSS v2.21

Win 7 HP 64B SP1

• Moderators

Please update to 3.14 and see if that fixes the issue as Startup has been changed for that version

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hmm, unfortunately, they still do not show. There's three entries:

HssSrv c:\program files (x86)\hotspot shield\hsswpr\hsssrv.exe

HssTrayService c:\program files (x86)\hotspot shield\bin\hsstrayservice.exe

HssWd c:\program files (x86)\hotspot shield\bin\hsswd.exe

• Moderators

can you download systernals autoruns (it's a Microsoft program) & tell me what section (tab) it lists these programs in (this will help the developers learn why it isn't listed)

is it (as the name suggests) a anti-malware/security product? If so it may hide itself from startup profiling in order to protect itself from being attacked

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

I actually copied those entries from sysinternals but forgot to include the location, they're at:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

It's a security product. Let me share: I've come to realize that the hotspots (places that offer free WiFi like McDonalds, Hotels, etc) I've had to use provide only UNSECURED connections, even those requiring a provided username/password. Hotspot Shield connects you through their US based VPN server for free from anywhere in the world (do use an adblocker and deselect all the crap you don't want when installing). It will slow things down but it encrypts everything you do online keeping you safe from those with a little know-how from stealing your credit card info, passwords, etc.

• By default, Hotspot Shield selects the option, Show on restart. It starts with Windows in a Disconnect/OFF state placing a red icon in the systray with these two services started, openvpnas.exe and openvpntray.exe.

• If I click the systray icon and select Connect/ON, it turns green and starts the third service, openvpn.exe (only it stops if I Disconnect/OFF).

• If I deselect the option to Show on restart, it only starts the service, openvpnas.exe.

In all honesty, I just as well leave it as is since the systray icon acks as a reminder to use it when needed.

• Moderators

well the devs read each thread, so they may add it but I bet it's hiding so a crafty malware doesn't disable delete it.

I'm glad i rarely use "free hotspots" and when I do I'm usually pretty safe but I may check this out (or use my mobile hotspot(s) a whole lot more :oB) )

• Moderators

Hotspot is just somebody letting you use their internet via a wireless router as opposed to, what I hope you do at home, password protecting your wifi via a key or passcode. that key or passcode becomes the private handshake of encryption that most of these free hopspots aren't using.

I think I would be bothered by HSS inserting addverts into my browsing and a few of their terms of conditions leave me a bit sick.

On top of that they seem to be blocked by the MVPs Host file which is a BIG strike against them

I think you might be better off in purchasing something like the cisco valet or other home VPN solutions (I won't go as far as suggesting you build your own, though in time that's what I'm going to do) and connect to your home internet, which in the end would probably be safer and much more secure

• Moderators

MOstly, when I'm on an unencrypted connection, I don't use sites that need passwords (e.g. Banks, Amazon, eBay. sites like this forum are fine because someone gets my password & meh), else I sign into my work's vpn (see my answer for you above).

I see, thanks. Don't forget to also be aware when simply checking your e-mail.

Be aware that encrypted email is probably protected by nothing better than a paper Chinese Wall

http://whatis.techta...1150002,00.html

In theory, a Chinese wall serves to restrict information to those individuals or groups that need it to conduct their jobs. In practice, however, Chinese walls are far from infallible because they rely on the honor system: the information is only restricted by the discretion and meticulousness of the parties involved.

In practice I have a wired connection to my router and use https encryption for my Gmail,

but Google sees all and knows all,

and when I open emails from a local grocery shop with any upcoming bargains,

Google Calendar offers to remind me at the correct time of those bargains which also correspond to National Tesco Loyalty Card transactions.

Coincidences are so wonderful - or are they :rolleyes:

If anyone knows of a better free solution to being safe while away from home on an unsecured WiFi Hotspot, please share.

As far as I am concerned, a Chinese Wall is better than No Wall.

Cookies, you either like 'em or you don't.

fwiw, it appears that hotspot shield keeps some processes running even after you shut it off and exit from the little systray icon. Could that be why CCleaner doesn't wipe it completely, because the processes are active?

This is a picture of some of the processes that did not stop after I thought I had shut it down.

th_hotspotshield-8-shutoff__2.jpg

And boy howdy does the free version make popups (ad supported) <_<

Selvan: If anyone knows of a better free solution to being safe while away from home on an unsecured WiFi Hotspot, please share.

Same here, always seeking a privater way. If that isn't a word it oughta be. :-)

edit: Well, phooey, there is one in process explorer that I forgot to underline, but its obvious, so I won't go back and redo the whole thing.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

If anyone knows of a better free solution to being safe while away from home on an unsecured WiFi Hotspot, please share.

My son can use certificate encryption on emails to me, and I can decrypt with a key that he arranged for Comodo to send to me..

I believe such messages with 2048 bit encryption are better protected than an standard WIFI encryption,

and should even protect against Google or any other email provider or I.S.P.

I only installed what my son provided, and cannot advise on the details.

I think this was where he got it from for free, and could give you a starting point :-

http://www.instantss...ertificate.html

If just encrypting e-mail is all you're after, I use GPG4Win to encrypt any attahment. Even when home, I don't send anything sensitive via e-mail without first making it an attachment encrypted with GPG4Win. And if websites send me my username/passwords in plain view via e-mail, I immediately change it. E-Mail is generally not secure, as you mentioned yourself, your ISP, the detinations ISP, and all hands involved between the two, can easily see it.

I'm the proud owner of our online Family Tree, it's now nearing 900 individuals, and I make it loud and clear to all who collaborate with me to never send anything unless they also use GPG4Win. Sadly, if it's too confusing for them, I insist on snail mail instead. My Public Key can be found here: http://lastborns.tripod.com/

This whole topic of Unsecured Hotspots came about because I happened to take my laptop with me on a recent vacation. I never knew they were most all unsecured. I had to scramble for a solution just so I could check my non-https web based e-mail. And, it appears that OpenVPN is the best solution. Fortunately, it's offered as a free service but, like most all stuff I've used for free, it won't be long before the good ones will start charging. But, hopefully not.

Comodo jumped in and offered it's TrustConnect but it's a paid-for service that comes bundled with CIS Complete, I only use their free version.

If you mean working on encryption, here's my instructional e-mail:

Hi,

Have you ever thought twice about E-mailing sensitive information because you knew personal E-mail was unsecured? Send it as an encrypted attachment for free in three simple steps but only after completing the below three steps once to install and prepare.

You need an OpenPGP key pair (see Wikipedia about), one is shared (public key) and, the other is kept private (secret key). What I encrypt with your public key can only be decrypted by you with your secret key or, in other words, what you encrypt with my openly shared public key can only be decrypted by me with my secret private key which is never shared. Don't worry, it really is very easy once you get past the install and key pair creation (see below on how to encrypt or decrypt, it's only 3 steps).

STEP 1. Download & install Gpg4win (see Wikipedia about) with these minimum components: GnuPG (pre-selected), Kleopatra, and GpgEX, complete the install without changes.

STEP 2. Create your OpenPGP key pair:

01. click "Start, All Programs, Gpg4win, Kleopatra".

02. click "File, New Certificate".

03. click "Create a personal OpenPGP key pair".

04. enter with no space "yourFIRSTLASTname and YOUREMAIL@ADDRESS.COM", click Next.

05. confirm your name and e-mail address is correct then click "Create Key".

06. in the Certificate Creation Wizard window, type randomly while also doing step 07.

07. enter at least a 100% quality passphrase (password) as many times as needed and click "Finish".

STEP 03. Export Certificate (it's your public key):

08. ensure your secret key is selected/highlighted in the Kleopatra window.

09. click "File, Export Certificates" (not “export secret keys” below it).

10. save it to the desktop keeping the default file name as is, i.e. 8597777311961A49918E9D8F2HH40P70Q94K31RP.asc

Note that it is not possible to recover a lost passphrase, anything encrypted with it will be lost forever. You will simply have to create a new key pair.

After doing the above once, here's how to Encrypt and/or Decrypt with three simple steps:

01. click “Start, All Programs, Gpg4win, Kleopatra”.

02. drag and drop the attachment into the Kleopatra window.

03. select to Encrypt or Decrypt and follow the instructions.

All the best and don't hesitate to ask for help,

--

Selvan

1 of 850 in our family tree

Lastborns

If you mean working on encryption, here's my instructional e-mail:

Thanks very much.

What I have been doing is looking into setting up a VPN.

That is a very informative post. I copied it and downloaded Gpg4win. Gpg4win looks like a good app for emails. Will try it soon.

Problem here is this huge list of things to "try soon", some dating back a year or two. :) But I have it now, will try it "soon".

Thanks again.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Hope it's okay to still post here and I hope this helps CC... :)

I've found, to me, the easiest way to stop Hotspot Shield from starting, short of uninstalling it, is to use WinPatrol to disable the four Hotspot Shield services seen in the image below. It stops it dead, 100%, on startup, and I'm a regular user of WinPatrol anyway.

captureysv.jpg