AMD & NVIDIA GPU drivers

nodles

AMD to Get Rid of Catalyst Auto-Update Feature in 2013, Cites Security Concerns

It looks like somebody found a security vulnerability in the auto-update feature of AMD Catalyst Control Center (CCC), which notifies you of updates to Catalyst system software and directs you to the download page. AMD announced that it plans to discontinue the feature starting in 2013, and recommends that you get your driver updates the old-fashioned way: by keeping up with the news and getting your drivers from the internet. Due to the severity of the exploit, AMD recommended users to disable auto-updates in their current CCC configuration, or click on "skip" whenever it prompts you to update drivers. AMD stated:AMD will be removing the auto-update notification functionality from versions of AMD Catalyst Control Center running under Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, beginning in early 2013. Due to a minor security vulnerability in the auto-update notification, users are recommended to update to the latest AMD Catalyst driver release from the amd.com web site. Alternatively, users should (i) uncheck the "Automatically check for updates" option under AMD Catalyst Control Center > Information > Software Update, and (ii) choose to "Skip" notifications from the AMD Catalyst driver, which notifications recommend updating to the latest driver

Never used this, but someone might.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Seems AMD is forcing users to move from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1...

• Starting with AMD Catalyst 14.6 Beta, AMD will no longer support Windows 8.0 (and the WDDM 1.2 driver)

NVIDIA also released new drivers (mainly for Watch_Dogs but eg. to TF2 too).

DDU pwnds, there's also AMD's own cleaner utlity http://www.userdrivers.com/Video-Graphic-Adapter/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-x86-x64/download/

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

Yeah you should uninstall AMD drivers before installing new ones these days.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the Display Ver with 14.6?

I was on 14.4 with display ver. 14.xxx.something

noticed tonight windows offered in updates an AMD WDDM 1.3 driver Display Ver reads 13.251.9001.0

(This is the first time I can remember windows ever offering me display drivers)

Thanks. I've been offered default MS audio drivers before, normally ignore them and grab them off the mobo site. I don't know what's up with this 13.251. verson windows gave me. Going try out 14.6 beta