AMD & NVIDIA GPU drivers

nodles

• Moderators

A bit off topic but since this is a drivers thread and Hazelnut made a good point about Win 8 and drivers I though I'd share this article about tuning drivers for win8

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/Tuning-and-tweaking-device-drivers-on-the-Windows-8-Customer-Preview

@hazelnut we don't have a dedicated win8 preview thread (could not find by sight (did not search, cannot remember)???

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

LOL that's why, I for some unknown rasin thought only to look in software. DOH!

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My understanding is that NVidia has been more so speed, while ATI/AMD has been more about higher quality 3D.

Of course, faster hardware has blurred the lines in modern cards, I would presume.

And AMD has thrown nice hardware behind making higher quality pretty fast.

At the moment, I prefer AMD 3D.

Both's high-end GPUs are good, but I had some negative experience with my last NVIDIA card (and the drivers) which was 8800GTS (512MB). Currently I've AMD HD6950 2GB and no need to replace it yet. Probably will buy another AMD next time I'll upgrade, but you'll never know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both driver updates are mainly for Far Cry 3 fixes & performance improvements.

GeForce 310.70 drivers add optimizations for Far Cry 3, providing up to 38% faster performance.
Improves performance in Far Cry 3 (up to 25% with 8xMSAA, SSAO enabled @ 1600p, and up to 15% with 8xMSAA, HDAO enabled @1600p) (AMD Catalyst 12.11 CAP2 must also be installed)

NVIDIA GeForce Experience Beta

GeForce Experience connects you to NVIDIA’s cloud datacenter to download optimal game settings tailored to your PC based on your CPU, GPU and monitor.
GeForce Experience is a new application from NVIDIA that optimizes your PC in two key ways.

First, GeForce Experience automatically notifies you of new NVIDIA drivers and downloads them for you. NVIDIA is constantly working to improve its drivers. New drivers improve game performance, add new features, and fix bugs.

Second, GeForce Experience optimizes graphics settings in your games based on your hardware configuration. NVIDIA performs extensive game testing for various combinations of GPUs, CPUs, and monitor resolutions and stores this information in the NVIDIA cloud. GeForce Experience connects to the NVIDIA Cloud and downloads optimized game settings tailored specifically to your PC.

Supported games

Don't have NVIDIA GPU so can't test this.

Edited by nodles

• 2 weeks later...