The Firefox/Mozilla Thread

nodles

• Moderators

Version 14.1 alters the tab behavior which in 13 showed screenshots of sensitive sites user had visited (eg banking)

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Firefox-new-tab-feature-tweaked-following-privacy-concerns-1647976.html

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Trying out 14.0.1 right now and that "Tab Groups" feature is rather cool. Although I do miss having a big "New Tab" button available in the Customize area, takes getting used to new tab being near actual tabs at the top.

After coming back to Firefox for a test I'm thinking the split between Firefox and Pale Moon is too much of one in some areas, some things are too different.

Trying out 14.0.1 right now and that "Tab Groups" feature is rather cool. Although I do miss having a big "New Tab" button available in the Customize area, takes getting used to new tab being near actual tabs at the top.

After coming back to Firefox for a test I'm thinking the split between Firefox and Pale Moon is too much of one in some areas, some things are too different.

I removed the New Tab button from my interface, I find it easier to CTRL+T

• Moderators

I removed the New Tab button from my interface, I find it easier to CTRL+T

You gave me an ideal with stating you removed it, thanks for that! :) I just removed it via customization then I was able to move it back into the navagation area where I've always had it with big buttons.

• Moderators

I noticed in the link it says...

Please note Palemoon was run on a clean profile, whereas Firefox and Waterfox used heavily used profiles

What impact do you think this will have had on the benchmarks?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I was wondering this myself, most likely a "clean" profile would get "optimal" results, since it wouldn't have any client changes. Or at least the results would be more "standard"

Conversely, the heavily used profiles may have some optimizations that bump their scores up

• Moderators

Waterfox stats, may be of interest to Andavari

Can't use Waterfox, I'm on an old 32-bit system. Those stats charts don't mean squat to me and will never garner my attention because I go by how the browser is performing on my system and the sites I visit.

Both Firefox and Pale Moon can act weird on some sites for example when reading user reviews on Softpedia.com when the review page has allot of reviews such as for AVG Free, Avast, Avira, etc., it makes both Firefox and Pale Moon unresponsive for too long in my opinion, possibly a script issue on their side.

It makes a big impact from what I noticed. For instance when I switched from Firefox to Pale Moon I ran Pale Moon as a clean install for awhile and installed add-ons and stuff and the memory usage while still higher than I'd like was nowhere near what my previous install of Firefox was. Now being completely lazy I didn't want to configure Pale Moon from scratch so I copied over my Firefox profile which was well aged/used and immediately the memory usage jumped - possible there was some unoptimized Firefox stuff that Pale Moon just didn't like.

I've since went back to Firefox only so I could use the freeware Firemin with it and it works very well versus using a whole system "memory manager" it only works with Firefox so there's no system issues as a whole system "memory manager" causes. This time the only thing I imported was the places.sqlite file which houses the bookmarks, everything else was reconfigured from scratch and Firefox runs better because of it.

Edit:

In my opinion those benchmarks are failed if they don't use the browser in it's default first installed settings, and then add-on the same add-ons to see how it does.

Palemoon has different download flavors available

32 bit Portable

32 bit Installed

64 bit Portable

64 bit Installed

I believe every 64 bit application has a massive 700% overhead of wasted resource when processing an 8 bit ASCII character held in a 64 bit data word,

Only when a unit of data exceeds 32 bits do you benefit from the ability of the hardware and software to handle a 64 bit value in one chunk instead of two "nibbles"

(My formative years were spent in an 8 bit byte era where 4 bits were a nibble)

As of a few months ago, when I last spent time on the Palemoon forum I understood that browsers very rarely had the need to handle a 64 bit value,

and the 32 bit Palemoon tended to be a little faster than the 64 bit on the same computer.

I do not know, but I guess that every time a 64 bit application transfers a data word between memory and Disk,

the memory views it as one unit, but the Disk platter views it as 8 bytes,

and that is twice as much work as the 4 bytes when a 32 bit application is running on the same system.

Perhaps this could be one of the reasons why 64 bit browsers do not run twice as fast as 32 bit browsers, and can even be slower.

What convinced me to abandon 64 bit Palemoon and go for 32 bit was the availability of Add-Ons.

I had so much grief when Firefox plunged over the cliff in a headlong rush to version infinity and broke the Addons I used.

When I realised many Add-ons had never had 64 bit capability,

I instantly decided that not only would I use Palemoon which had never broken any Addons,

but that it would have to be 32 bit so I had the widest choice of available Add-ons.

• Moderators

Palemoon which had never broken any Addons,

I didn't realise that. :o If it hadn't been for a post by you sometime ago mentioning Pale Moon I wouldn't never known anything about it, so I've gotta thank you for mentioning it on the forums. :) If Firefox gives me any grief with cherished add-ons I'll go back to Pale Moon in an instant, however I am liking Firefox at the moment on a clean install since it's running better than ever before.

I'm going to have to remember if a profile gets buggy to just delete it and start over from scratch rather than putting up with the problems. I wish Mozilla had something built in that would automatically fix common profile issues, and/or purge old preferences that no longer exist!

I prefer the Pale Moon GUI versus the Firefox GUI for multiple reasons. One thing the Firefox GUI has is a different coloration to it that I'm not completely fond of after spending time using Pale Moon, and I don't like the Chrome-like tab placement in it, and I wish I could lock the add-on bar at the bottom to act like old Firefox versions so it can't be so easily exited but see nowhere to do that.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to have to remember if a profile gets buggy to just delete it and start over from scratch rather than putting up with the problems. I wish Mozilla had something built in that would automatically fix common profile issues, and/or purge old preferences that no longer exist!

It's easier than that! Starting with the last several Firefox updates, they DO include a profile fix!!! If your running a recent Firefox version, you can:

Firefox/Help/Troubleshooting Information/Reset Firefox

It will keep your bookmarks & saved passwords, but everything else in the profile gets reset.

• 2 weeks later...

Palemoon appear to be more honest than Mozilla.

Palemoon release notes commence :-

This is a new release based on the Gecko 15.0 code base with additional branch development.

http://www.palemoon....enotes-ng.shtml

I searched the Firefox and Thunderbird links and they do not mention any GECKO.

Discretion is the better part of valour.

I normally prefer to wait a week before updating anything in case the new code patches introduce new problems.

Changing the entire code base is unlikely to be problem free.

I will probably wait 2 weeks.