The Firefox/Mozilla Thread

nodles

ff 59.0.1

16. March 2018

Fixed

please look at the same details as above on ff 52.7.2 esr

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

The update to 59.0.1 once again broke my taskbar icon and link.

Managed to unpin it without a restart this time and repinned it from file explorer.

However it was then showing with the name "Firefox(3)" which indicated that the previous 2 were still about somewhere.
Trying to change the name of the taskbar link in properties just asked me if I wanted to create Firefox(4).

So the solution:

• Unpin firefox from the taskbar.
  • Open file explorer and go to:
  • %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
  • Delete all instances of the Firefox shortcut. (3 of them in this case)
  • Repin Firefox to the taskbar from file explorer. (or the start menu apps list).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 weeks later...

ff 52.7.3 esr

26. march 2018

Fixed

Use-after-free in compositor

Announced
March 26, 2018
Impact
high
Products
Firefox, Firefox ESR
Fixed in
  • Firefox 59.0.2
  • Firefox ESR 52.7.3

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

ff 59.0.2

26. march 2018

Fixed

• Invalid page rendering with hardware acceleration enabled (Bug 1435472)

• Windows 7 users with touch screens or certain 3rd party desktop applications which interact with Firefox through accessibility services may experience random browser crashes. Known 3rd party applicatioins with issues: StickyPassword, Windows 7 touch screen. (Bug 1424505)

• Browser keyboard shortcuts (eg copy Ctrl+C) don't work on sites that use those keys with resistFingerprinting enabled (Bug 1433592)

• High CPU / memory churn caused by third-party software on some computers (Bug 1446280)

• Users who have configured an "automatic proxy configuration URL" and want to reload their proxy settings from the URL will find the Reload button disabled in the Connection Settings dialog when they select Preferences/Options > Network Proxy > Settings... (Bug 1445991)

• URL Fragment Identifiers Break Service Worker Responses (Bug 1443850)

• User's trying to cancel a print around the time it completes will continue to get intermittent crashes (Bug 1441598)

• Broken getUserMedia (audio) on DragonFly, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. Video chat apps either wouldn't work or be always muted (Bug 1444074)

• Moderators

And the update to 59.0.2 broke my taskbar icon again. It's minor but it's getting anoying.

PS. The problem I reported earlier with Malwarebytes Anti Exploit stand alone beta causing new tab crashes with Firefox has now been solved.
A new version of MBAE beta, v1.12.1.56, is now available for those who want it. Remember it's an experimental beta testing version.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/205225-mbae-112-build-56-latest-experimental-build/
(The Anti-Exploit included in the main MB3 programme remains unaffected, it was only an issue with the AE beta testing version - that's partly what beta versions are for).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

On 17.3.2018 at 16:26, nukecad said:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

perhaps you have it on the wrong place?

you->appdata->roaming->microsoft->internet explorer->quick launch->firefox icon and link

in user pinned\taskbar is nothing...

ps: i use the quick launch and not the taskbar B)

• Moderators

I'm not sure but it's only been a problem with 59.# updates.

The fact that it was creating multiple instances at that location seems to say it's the right pathname.

\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar shows all my pinned taskbar items. (in Windows 10).

I've mentioned the issue through mozilla feedback.

• 1 month later...

ff v59.0.3

30. April 2018

Fixed

• Fix for compatibility with Windows 10 April 2018 update (Bug 1452619)

ff esr v52.7.4

30 April 2018

Fixed

• Fix for compatibility with Windows 10 April 2018 update (Bug 1452619)

download here:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

• 2 weeks later...

ff v60.0

9. may 2018

New

• Added a policy engine that allows customized Firefox deployments in enterprise environments, using Windows Group Policy or a cross-platform JSON file

• Enhancements to New Tab / Firefox Home

• Responsive layout that shows more content for users with wide-screen displays
    • Highlights section includes web sites saved to Pocket
    • More options to reorder sections and content on the page
    • Pocket Sponsored Stories will appear for a percentage of users in the US. Read about our privacy-conscious approach to sponsored content
  • Redesigned Cookies and Site Storage section in Preferences for greater clarity and control of first- and third-party cookies

• Applied Quantum CSS to render browser UI

• Added support for Web Authentication API, which allows USB tokens for website authentication

• Enhanced camera privacy indicators: Firefox now turns off your camera and the camera's light when you disable video recording, and turns the camera and light on when you resume recording

• Added an option for Linux users to show or hide page titles in a bar at the top of the browser. You’ll find the Title Bar option in the Customize panel available from the main browser menu.

• Improved WebRTC audio performance and playback for Linux users

• On-by-default support for draft-23 of the TLS 1.3 specification

• Locale added: Occitan (oc)

Fixed

Changed

• Changed the Windows shortcut for entering Reader View to F9, for better compatibility with keyboard layouts that use AltGr

• Bookmarks no longer support multiple keywords for the same URL unless the request has different POST data

• TLS certificates issued by Symantec before June 1st, 2016 are no longer trusted by Firefox

• Updated the Skia graphics library to milestone 66

Developer

Developer Information

unresolved

• After disabling Sponsored Stories from the New Tab page settings, the next opened tab may still show a sponsored tile (bug 1458906)

• WebVR does not work on macOS with Vive headsets (bug 1454204)

ff esr v52.8.0

9. may 2018

• Various security fixes

• Various stability and regression fixes

• Performance improvements to the Safe Browsing service to avoid slowdowns while updating site classification data

• Moderators

For anyone using the Malwarbytes for Firefox (beta) extension.

There currently seems to be a clash with CCleaner and the Malwarebytes beta extension for Firefox, this clash is somehow triggering the extension to block the downloading of installation (.exe) files if CCleaner has been run to clear Firefox.

It only seems to be affecting the downloading of .exe files, - documents and media files download normally.

It's easily fixed by opening the Firefox Add-ons manager, clicking 'Remove' for the extension, and then clicking on 'undo'.

The Malwarebytes devs have been looking at this downloading issue, but I only pinned down the clash with CC this morning:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/228684-win10-media-creation-tool-download-blocked-mb-for-firefox/?tab=comments#comment-1242332

EDIT
I've tracked this further and it's the cleaning of Firefox 'Site Preferences' by CCleaner that causes the Malwarebytes download blocks to start happening.

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 5/12/2018 at 11:57, nukecad said:

For anyone using the Malwarbytes for Firefox (beta) extension.

There currently seems to be a clash with CCleaner and the Malwarebytes beta extension for Firefox, this clash is somehow triggering the extension to block the downloading of installation (.exe) files if CCleaner has been run to clear Firefox.

It only seems to be affecting the downloading of .exe files, - documents and media files download normally.

It's easily fixed by opening the Firefox Add-ons manager, clicking 'Remove' for the extension, and then clicking on 'undo'.

The Malwarebytes devs have been looking at this downloading issue, but I only pinned down the clash with CC this morning:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/228684-win10-media-creation-tool-download-blocked-mb-for-firefox/?tab=comments#comment-1242332

EDIT
I've tracked this further and it's the cleaning of Firefox 'Site Preferences' by CCleaner that causes the Malwarebytes download blocks to start happening.

If they need any help/info from us we will be happy to oblige. Depending on what they mean, coding around the conflict may not give the best results (better to solve the root cause than apply a plaster/bandaid). It might be better in the long-run to have a direct conversation and collaborate.

• Moderators

Cheers Stephen,

You've probably seen that I've added over there that it's the removal of database file 'permissions.sqlite' that seems to be the problem.

It's only in their latest beta version, v1.0.21, that the issue arose, which suggests that it's something that they changed in that version.
Clicking 'remove' then 'undo' to breifly stop then re-enable the extension, (which takes less than a second), in the Forefox add-ons manager cures it.
Both of which suggest that coding a solution may not be that difficult. (Although of course I don't know the code).

If they can reload their extension database when Firefox starts then that should solve the problem, for any cleaner not just CC.
I'm sure they will reach out to Piriform if needed.

It's worth pointing out again that the Malwarebytes for Firefox extension is a BETA product, so it's going to have  some issues like this whilst it's still in development.
(That's the point of a beta, so that users/testers can pick up things in 'everyday use' that may not be seen by the development team).

Looking at the add-ons page the MB for Firefox (beta) extension has only been downloaded 3,774 times so it's not a huge userbase as yet, not all of those will be using CCleaner as well, and not all will be providing feedback to Malwarebytes. (There was only one 'me too' post confirming the issue before I tracked down just what it was).

I still thought it was worth pointing out the issue here though, for anyone who does have the beta.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Stephen Piriform said:

If they need any help/info from us we will be happy to oblige. Depending on what they mean, coding around the conflict may not give the best results (better to solve the root cause than apply a plaster/bandaid). It might be better in the long-run to have a direct conversation and collaborate.

One of the MB staff has said that they will be in contact with Piriform about this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 11:02, trium said:

ff esr v52.8.0

. . .

Thanks much.  V-52.8.0 works great on this old win xp desktop. <- - - - Short version, details available on demand.  :lol: 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, login123 said:

V-52.8.0 works great on this old win xp desktop.

Same here! All of those ESR builds have been rock solid since I switched to ESR many months ago.

sorry, not on my xp machine -> no sse2 on my cpu onboard <_< :D if i remember me darkly there run ff v48.x.x - the last which works without sse2 instructions

• Moderators
19 hours ago, trium said:

sorry, not on my xp machine -> no sse2 on my cpu onboard

Allot of software has quietly without any announcement removed support for systems that don't have at least SSE2, and left the users to post a bunch of complaints on their forums.

• 2 weeks later...

ff esr v52.8.1

6. june 2018

Fixed

ff v60.0.2

6. june 2018

Fixed

• Fix missing nodes in the developer tools Inspector panel (bug 1460223)

• Various security fixes

• Fix font rendering when using third-party font managers on OS X 10.11 and earlier (bug 1460917)

Changed

• Updated to NSS 3.36.4 from 3.36.1:

• Connecting to a server that was recently upgraded to TLS 1.3 would result in a SSL_RX_MALFORMED_SERVER_HELLO error (bug 1462303)
    • Fix crash on macOS related to authentication tokens, e.g. PK11 or WebAuthn (bug 1461731)

See release notes for NSS 3.36.2 and 3.36.4

there is ff esr v60.0.2 out now

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

:D there is another 52 on the way - at least

ill stay on 52 until the end, too - and a few days longer