CCleaner Community Forums
nodles

The Firefox/Mozilla Thread

Excellent. Only one interface region needs to be capable of housing the tabs. Less code, more performance. Also saves time, as they don't need to do QA and unit testing for both interface variations.

And there speaks a developer, not end user ;)

I think the number of people who actually customized this would be pretty small. I'd also wager the majority of the group are capable of installing an extension that would revert those changes. That's the benefit of a rich, extensible API: you don't need to include a thousand different customization options.

I got rid of mine because I use the mouse buttons for back/forward :)

And there speaks a developer, not end user ;)

True, but I think 'it works faster!' is universally relatable.

True, but I think 'it works faster!' is universally relatable.

Ah but having to scroll further from the page content every time I go to the tab bar doesn't work faster for me ;) (but Chrome does it so all browsers must apparently :rolleyes: )

Then install an extension that restores the missing feature. That's what extensions are, extra functionality that is superfluous for the majority of users, but essential to a specific use case.

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion; but I really wish Firefox would be more aggressive in forcing updates. In the past 24 hours, one of my sites was visited by 112 different versions of Firefox. That's not even including non-Firefox Gecko browsers. From a web-dev perspective; that's a disaster. It's honestly easier to test site compatibility against the Internet Explorer beast. </rant>

In the past 24 hours, one of my sites was visited by 112 different versions of Firefox.

That would be Mozilla's fault I'd think and their silly release schedule. And forcing people to update could see a nice user share going back to IE, Chrome Clones (not Chrome itself).

Interestingly, Chrome was responsible for 38% of traffic (FF was 27.2%) and only 9 different versions. But I rarely hear people talk about too many Chrome updates. My conclusion? Firefox aren't pushing too many updates; they're just not making the update process seamless (and silent) enough.

One problem is schools/businesses don't update firefox evenly. Some of the machines in the labs at my school run firefox 6, others are running firefox 18, etc.

The other part is that chrome updates silently in the background and no one really notices, whereas Fx pops up a little window telling you to update, etc.

As much as I like fx, I'd love to see its AUS move more towards the chrome model.

I prefer the update system implemented in Comodo Dragon (one of those Chrome clones).

I think giving people the choice to update or not is especially valuable when a botched version is released, so people can instead wait for a fix or skip that version altogether.

A few australis bugs have landed in the nightly channel this week. It's possibly Australis will merge to mozilla-central within the next week or two (unlikely to merge during 28's cycle if not in the next week or two)

http://msujaws.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/australis-landing-plans/

Australis en route to Moz-Central, non-australis builds will be on a temporary "Holly" channel until Australis gets merged to Aurora, in case Australis needs an additional release cycle in the nightly channel

Australis has arrived on Mozilla Central ("nightly") as of just a little while ago.

A non-Australis branch called Holly has been created in case Australis isn't prepared to move to Aurora when the branch shift comes along.