Piriform Community Forums
nodles

The Firefox/Mozilla Thread

On 7/2/2018 at 20:21, login123 said:

Fwiw.  Just ran the paf.exe file Hazelnut pointed to, it is indeed the portable version 52.9.0 ESR

While that one she linked to is portable it is however the Legacy edition, although it works the same as the official PortableApps.com version which is always posted here: https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox-portable-esr
I won't be mixing those two because the Legacy wants to unpack into a different path.

8 hours ago, hazelnut said:

Aah, those last two words of the link - "privacy issues".

Lots of software companies are having (unneeded) problems with those at the moment.

It will calm down once they fully understand the new European regulations.

To be fair this has little to do with European regulations, or even the software invading ones privacy. It's actually highlighting a potential privacy issue, which could occur if the end user fails to sign out of signed in accounts, before letting someone else use the device, even though they've shut down the browser. Which is only logical since the browser was set to load the last opened pages.

What I find ironic here is this already happens even if you don't have pages open automatically, it's simply that the pages you're signed into aren't "advertised" by being opened automatically.  Currently with many pages if you fail to sign out, and just close them you'll still be logged in the next time you open that page, irrespective of which browser you use or if you've shut down the browser or computer in the mean time (it does require the same browser to be used and for it to not be clearing cache cookies etc on exit, as this is where that login info is usually stored, it also often requires you to Uncheck the "remember me" setting on a given site i.e. Opt-out  if you don't want that login to be restored, since many sites have it checked by default). Very little to do with firefox IMO, more the nature of the web, and users often never actually logging out of sites, instead simply closing them assuming that will ALWAYS log them out.

quite agree, and is partly why I always use Ccleaner at the end, and if a long session, at timely intervals, of a session on my PC.

Certainly with the BBC now you need to log in.

I think I should run it after every page I visit, as you know, refusing to allow cookies usually means problematic browsing, but , well, running cleaner after every page is a bit OCD...AND A LOT OF MUCKING ABOUT...But still a good idea!......

Well I reckon.

Cheers.

On 8/11/2018 at 08:18, Noesis said:

To be fair this has little to do with European regulations, or even the software invading ones privacy. It's actually highlighting a potential privacy issue, which could occur if the end user fails to sign out of signed in accounts, before letting someone else use the device, even though they've shut down the browser. Which is only logical since the browser was set to load the last opened pages.

What I find ironic here is this already happens even if you don't have pages open automatically, it's simply that the pages you're signed into aren't "advertised" by being opened automatically.  Currently with many pages if you fail to sign out, and just close them you'll still be logged in the next time you open that page, irrespective of which browser you use or if you've shut down the browser or computer in the mean time (it does require the same browser to be used and for it to not be clearing cache cookies etc on exit, as this is where that login info is usually stored, it also often requires you to Uncheck the "remember me" setting on a given site i.e. Opt-out  if you don't want that login to be restored, since many sites have it checked by default). Very little to do with firefox IMO, more the nature of the web, and users often never actually logging out of sites, instead simply closing them assuming that will ALWAYS log them out.

15 minutes ago, noelist said:

I think I should run it after every page I visit,

Can't mention any kind of competition by name on a company site, but take a look in Firefox add ons.