The Firefox/Mozilla Thread

nodles

• Moderators

From the release notes for 55.0

Firefox for Windows 64-bit is now installed by default on 64-bit systems with at least 2GB of RAM

And yet on my 64-bit 4GB laptop it has updated to 55.0.2 (32-bit).
So does the release note only apply to new installs and not to updates?

EDIT
Answered my own question - It is only for new installs in 55, but when 56 comes out it should migrate to 64-bit on the update if your system is compatible.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Mozilla plans to collect browsing data from Firefox users in a "privacy preserving way" to help Firefox product teams improve the browser based on the data.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/22/mozilla-plans-to-collect-anonymous-firefox-browsing-data/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

how to make your dwindling user base leave even faster!

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators
where are they going?
To chrome, though idk why - I hate chrome, based on my limited use of it.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

... :-) are these the good others? wonderful

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

some browser stats here; https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/default.asp

and here; http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0&qpcustomd=0

sadly FF is only a shadow of its former glory.

I think the best I ever saw it was around 40% user base.

now it is below 15% and continues to fall.

+1 with @Nergal, I've never gotten the Chrome 'thing' - having said that, the 2 I've been taking for a spin this month, SlimJet and Opera have potential as FF replacements.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I used to also "hate" Chrome, back when it was more-or-less brand new (didn't trust Google then and still don't today). However when I couldn't use Firefox for awhile from some bug or compatibility issue Chromium was the only viable alternative I was willing to use first from Comodo then that had some issue and would destroy the configuration (back before I knew CCleaner was screwing up something in it), and then to SRWare Iron which I liked allot (and figured out I needed to exclude from CCleaner's reach). Fast forward and Chrome/Chromium no longer supported XP so it was back to Firefox which I don't really like anymore since so much changes with "major" updates.

The data collection Mozilla want to do will probably only have backlash (have they not heard about privacy advocates, then again maybe the don't want a userbase). It may be blockable via the HOSTS file and adblockers, but your alternative definitely isn't something made by the spying Microsoft.

Edited by Andavari

ff version 55.0.3

August 25, 2017

Fixed
  • Fix file uploads to some websites, including YouTube (bug 1383518)

• Fix an issue with addons when using a path containing non-ascii characters (bug 1389160)

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• 1 month later...

ff version 56.0.

September 28, 2017

New
  • Launched Firefox Screenshots, a feature that lets users take, save, and share screenshots without leaving the browser

• Added support for address form autofill (en-US only)

• Updated Preferences

• Added search tool so users can find a specific setting quickly
    • Reorganized preferences so users can more easily scan settings
    • Rewrote descriptions so users can better understand choices and how they affect browsing
    • Revised data collection choices so they align with updated Privacy Notice and data collection strategy
  • Media opened in a background tab will not play until the tab is selected

• Improved Send Tabs feature of Sync for iOS and Android, and Send Tabs can be discovered even by users without a Firefox Account

Changed
  • Replaced character encoding converters with a new Encoding Standard-compliant implementation written in Rust

• Added hardware acceleration for AES-GCM

• Updated the Safe Browsing protocol to version 4

• Reduced update download file size by approximately 20 percent

• Improved security for verifying update downloads

Developer

Developer Information

• Users running Firefox for Windows over a Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) may find that audio playback is disabled due to increased security restrictions. Learn how to mitigate this issue until it is corrected in an upcoming release

unresolved

• Startup crashes with 64-bit Firefox on Windows 7, for users of Lenovo's "OneKey Theater" software for IdeaPad laptops. To fix this crash, please re-install 32-bit Firefox.

• Startup crash with RelevantKnowledge adware installed. Firefox Support has helpful instructions to remove it.

ff version 56.0.

August 28, 2017

New
  • Launched Firefox Screenshots, a feature that lets users take, save, and share screenshots without leaving the browser

When will they learn. They keep adding tat/features to the browser, then removing them a few versions later to 'streamline' cos no one used it. And a screenshots tool? Might have been groundbreaking 10-15 years ago, but now? I really do wonder about the brains at Mozilla (or if there are any!)

When will they learn. They keep adding tat/features to the browser, then removing them a few versions later to 'streamline' cos no one used it. And a screenshots tool? Might have been groundbreaking 10-15 years ago, but now? I really do wonder about the brains at Mozilla (or if there are any!)

Actually most to all features comes from the community. Mozilla mostly just does security updates.

I think the screenshot feature could still be useful. I usually use snaggy because it's simple and doesn't need some account, but this might be the replacement I needed.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

mmmmh, i would have a gladly a nice, small and fast browser with important basics without unfunny tools. but with a few addons.

instead, constantly nonsensical souvenirs are developed and with this constantly new versions are presentet with new security holes etc.etc.etc. perhaps because of the "innovations" or so.

with the version numbers jumps ff anyway only behind google chrome, instead of their own version history to continue.

• 4 weeks later...

ff v. 56.0.1

October 9, 2017

Fixed
  • Block D3D11 when using Intel drivers on Windows 7 systems with partial AVX support (bug 1403353)

Changed
  • Users of 32-bit Firefox on 64-bit Windows are migrated to 64-bit Firefox for increased stability and security.

unresolved
  • Some third party software (Comodo Internet Security, Kaspersky, Quick Heal Antivirus) are known to cause issues with Firefox 64-bit. These vendors have published new releases which addresses the issues.

• GSSAPI and Kerberos authentication do work in 64-Bit Windows Firefox. However it requires the advanced setting "network.negotiate-auth.gsslib" to contain the string "gssapi64.dll" because the default value (which is chosen if left empty) is wrong. Future versions of Firefox will contain a correct default value.

• Due to a bug in Mac OS X High Sierra, fullscreen mode has some issues

• Startup crash with RelevantKnowledge adware installed. Firefox Support has helpful instructions to remove it.

• Users running Firefox for Windows over a Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) may find that audio playback is disabled due to increased security restrictions. Learn how to mitigate this issue until it is corrected in an upcoming release

• Startup crashes with 64-bit Firefox on Windows 7, for users of Lenovo's "OneKey Theater" software for IdeaPad laptops. To fix this crash, please re-install 32-bit Firefox.

• Moderators

Put it on earlier today.

It changed my 32-bit to 64-bit, but haven't realy noticed anything different.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Put it on earlier today.

It changed my 32-bit to 64-bit, but haven't realy noticed anything different.

I noticed it when running lots of tabs. No more memory restrictions and slightly better performance. Also, 64-bit has better exploit protection, but that's more under the hood type stuff.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

• Moderators

v56.0.2, first offered to Release chanel users on October 26, 2017

Fixed

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, hazelnut said:

The new Firefox 57 Quantum gets released today. Here is a good write up of all its features

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/13/firefox-57-release-overview/

There are some major changes with this FFx version, both in the GUI and under the hood.

Expect to see lots of posts in the next few weeks saying "CCleaner is not cleaning Firefox properly", "CCleaner changed my Firefox", etc., etc.

• 4 weeks later...

ff v 57

November 14, 2017

New

• A completely new browsing engine, designed to take full advantage of the processing power in modern devices

• A redesigned interface with a clean, modern appearance, consistent visual elements, and optimizations for touch screens

• A unified address and search bar. New installs will see this unified bar. Learn how to add the stand-alone search bar to the toolbar

• A revamped new tab page that includes top visited sites, recently visited pages, and recommendations from Pocket (in the US, Canada, and Germany)

• An updated product tour to orient new and returning Firefox users

• Video decoding is shut down when the tab playing the media is sent to the background or the video is not visible on the screen. Video resumes when the media tab is in the foreground and the player is visible on the screen. Audio will not be affected.

• AMD VP9 hardware video decoder support for improved video playback with lower power consumption

• An expanded section in preferences to manage all website permissions

Fixed

Changed

• Firefox now exclusively supports extensions built using the WebExtension API, and unsupported legacy extensions will no longer work. Learn more about our efforts to improve the performance and security of extensions

• The browser's autoscroll feature, as well as scrolling by keyboard input and touch-dragging of scrollbars, now use asynchronous scrolling. These scrolling methods are now similar to other input methods like mousewheel, and provide a smoother scrolling experience

• The content process now has a stricter security sandbox that blocks filesystem reading and writing on Linux, similar to the protections for Windows and macOS that shipped in Firefox 56

• Middle mouse paste in the content area no longer navigates to URLs by default on Unix systems

• Removed the toolbar Share button. If you relied on this feature, you can install the Share Backported extension instead.

• Some older versions of the ATOK IME, including ATOK 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010, can cause crashes and are therefore disabled on the Windows 64-bit version of Firefox Quantum. To fix those incompatibility issues, please use a newer version of ATOK or one of other IMEs.

• The default font for Japanese text is now Meiryo

Developer

• Complete visual refresh of both the Light and Dark DevTools themes, matching the new visual style of Firefox Quantum

• The Inspector shows the values of CSS variables on hover

• Completely new and re-designed Console panel. Joining the Debugger and the Network Monitor, the Console has been rewritten using modern web technologies such as React and Redux. It now also allows inspection of objects in context.

Developer Information

unresolved

• Users running screen readers may experience performance issues and are advised to use Firefox ESR until performance issues are resolved in an upcoming future release

• On Windows and Linux, Firefox crashes occasionally on Intel Broadwell-U processors with old microcode. Windows users should ensure Windows Update is set to install updates. Linux users should ensure that the distribution package for Intel microcode is installed.

ff v. 57.0.1

November 29, 2017

Fixed

• Fix a video color distortion issue on YouTube and other video sites with some AMD devices (bug 1417442)

• Fix an issue with prefs.js when the profile path has non-ascii characters (bug 1420427)

• Various security fixes

• Google map crashes on OSX with Intel HD Graphics 3000

Changed

• Block injection of a client library associated with the RealPlayer Free player which is known to cause performance problems in Firefox. (Bug 1418535)