The Firefox/Mozilla Thread

nodles

• Moderators

This fast release with major number incriments on both Firefox and Chrome is killing me. Having the Same 2 "end-of-life" apps appearing in my Secunia PSI every few weeks is frustrating, especially as it might take PortableApps.com a few weeks to prep a new portable version so I have to sit there without a 100% vulerablity score :( (First World Problems :P )

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Well, I much rather have the problems fixed sooner, than later, Nergal. :)

At any rate, 30% faster javascripting on websites is nice. I believe firefox 9 feels even faster than 8 did, & especially with about 300 + tabs open.

Much thanks for the new version!

• Moderators

Well, I much rather have the problems fixed sooner, than later, Nergal. :)

At any rate, 30% faster javascripting on websites is nice. I believe firefox 9 feels even faster than 8 did, & especially with about 300 + tabs open.

Much thanks for the new version!

problems & bugs fixed, yes. Major version number needed for minor updates, no. It would be like calling this month's ccleaner "version 28" instead of 3.13, & then claiming version 27 (3.12 in our reality") is End of Life.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

@ Nergal, very true, but as long as they do fix bugs & make it faster, I don't care if it is called version 2,016 as long as it works. It would be nice to use a numbering schematic similar to what you suggested, but seeing that we probably won't get that, I am content with bug fixes & performance enhancements/mem use improvements.

@ Nodles, yup, 300. I have had 1,611 tabs open before, but that was when I was testing Firefox vs IE stability. Since then, I normally have no more than around 4 or 500 tabs, & usually maybe 200 or less.

* Edit - Firefox did not crash, I just had a limited amount of RAM, & my system was slowing down terribly. Not to say that Firefox never crashes, but it led me to believe that I could have (possibly) opened 3,000 or more tabs if I had the RAM to do so.

IE 8 crashed, however, at 8 to 20 tabs. Then it crashed on recovering them in an endless loop. IE seems best used for a few sites at the time. IE 9 seems much better stability wise, just don't feel like repeating the test to see, because IE still doesn't have an adblocker, & random websites don't work right. Even Facebook sometimes doesn't show properly, depending on a pages content. Whereas Firefox seems not to have this problem.

I can't really use Opera or Chrome for everyday use, because their tabs shrink so thin, you can see little X boxes piled on top of each other where the tabs disappear into razor thin slices.

Firefox doesn't have this problem.

Also, Windows explorer itself under 32 Bit Windows XP Pro will only open 64 total windows. Whether explorer windows or explorer + application windows. I know, cause I tested it & it errored out that I could not open another Window.

32 Bit Windows 7 Ultimate sticknot.exe (stickynotes program) only lets you make 50 desktop notes before it warns you that you cannot make another note.

How interesting, eh?

• Moderators

lol yeah I guess my issue is more to do with

PSI calling it EoL (which is Secunia not Mozilla)

antiquated major number version should be a major change in the program

I like to preload a lot of utube vids so I dont have to wait.

Right-click + t to send it to the background.

Not to mention the new wallpapers/programs I download to test, etc.

Then, there are the pages I have to go through to find out how to do things. The internet is really quite informative. U just gotta go through a ton of pages to find what you really need sometimes.

Oh, it seems quite yesterday that they released 9.0.

I think your slipping a bit. :P

They now have 9.0.1. Let me correct that. They have, as of today, 10.0 Beta 1.

My, how times change!

True, but I didn't count betas, just "finals". Also just installed 9.0.1. :D

I've noticed since I've been using FF 9.0.1 that some sites have been loading extremely slow. Piriform is one of them. I may just go back to FF 8.0.1. or 9.0.0. Might be this html6 thing or whatever it is. Given this current economic climate, I don't trust any companies. Or any government. Or any freakie Occupy whatever. Ew they stink!

• 1 month later...

Just trying that, and I have a non active back button, mouse gestures don't work, and the right click "back" and "forward" options are greyed out.

Back to my old version.

Am using latest 10 at the moment, & right-click back & forward work fine for me. Did you do a clean upgrade? You can uninstall Firefox while keeping your profiles folder by not checkmarking it on uninstall.

Now, it does remove the forward back button, but it comes up after you visit a website & actually need it. Took me a few times to get used to it, but it seems to work good.

Also, the back button history can be accessed if you right-click a back arrow & select which one.