weird

newbie12345

forgive me as an old man if this is silly but when i run ccleaner win7 64 bit all goes well until it reaches deleting browser history section.then a coomand box flashes up on screen followed by a box saying deleting history.

what id like to be reassured by is ccleaner securely deleting history or is ie9 deleting the history.

on xp i never got these silly boxes appearing. thanks

thanks for replies guys but iv not made mself clear.

problem: i am using win 7 home premium 64 bit

when i run ccleaner all goes fine until it comes to delete browser history. At this stage a command box briefly flashes on screen then another box appears saying deleting browser history.

I strongly suspect this is ie9 doing the deletion and not ccleaner. This would mean that the browser history is not being securely deleted by cc cleaner. Thats my problem.

now how do i stop ie9 interrupting ccleaner?

hope iv made myself clear. thanks

thanks for info el.I am surprized no one from ccleaner has commented on this. So microsoft can dictate what ccleaner does? thats amazing lol

In my old age view win7 64bit is the most stupid waste of money ever. Xp was much simpler. This stupid win 7 64 bit has 2 versions of iexplorer and apparently from what i gather on the microsoft site one cant use the 64 bit as the default browser because its not supported by most web sites, so why introduce it and secondly using the 32 bit iexplorer is not exactly functional on a 64 bit machine.

Id hate to be in ccleaners shoes ,

have a nice xmas

Edited by Nergal
removed unneeded expletive

thanks for replies guys but iv not made mself clear.

problem: i am using win 7 home premium 64 bit

when i run ccleaner all goes fine until it comes to delete browser history. At this stage a command box briefly flashes on screen then another box appears saying deleting browser history.

I strongly suspect this is ie9 doing the deletion and not ccleaner. This would mean that the browser history is not being securely deleted by cc cleaner. Thats my problem.

now how do i stop ie9 interrupting ccleaner?

hope iv made myself clear. thanks

Your point is very valid and genuine. I feel and believe that IE9 browser history is not being securely deleted by CCleaner. CCleaner uses IE9's built-in module to 'delete' the browser's history.

I have tried East-Tec Eraser and R-Wipe & Clean programs. They both use their own modules to wipe IE9's browser history.

M.S. has always prevented CC from doing what it wants to IE,

hence Index.dat was never deleted by CC.

Instead CC always "Marked for Deletion" and with luck Windows might choose to comply on reboot.

You need a NON-IE browser to escape from the death-grip that MS exerts over IE.

thanks guys for confirming my suspicions.As a newbie i thought i might be talking nonsense but it seems iv hit the nail on the head.

On speaking to another ( cant name them ) washer product, i was told they had discontinued the product because they were so fed up with ms interference.

Im guessing here but i think i might be able to disable the ie 9 command propmpt.

At least we are all aware of the insidious demands that ms place on programmes like ccleaner. Its just a pity in my view that no one from cc has sd o far bothered to respond.

• 2 weeks later...

well guys success. to make sure cc deletes browser history securely.....

go to the in private browsing box and untick deleted browsing history. apply

now you find the stupid command box no longer appears and cc is allowed to do what it says on the tin securely delete browser history and all the other stuff it does.

Although this was not important to me i was just determined to stop microsoft interfereing with my fav program.

Belive me guys after years of trying various cleaner programs i honestly believe ccleaner is still the best for the job so.............

well done ccleaner and may all your staff have a happy and trading prosperoulsy new year.

how do i stop ie9 interrupting ccleaner?

IE9 is not "interfering." The CCleaner devs have simply chosen to allow IE's built in cleaning functions perform the requested operations; rather than implement their own cleaning routines. Microsoft impose a number of security restrictions on the cookies/browsing history folders which make them difficult to access. This is designed to thwart spyware that attempts to steal your browsing history or hijack your sessions. While it's easy to portray Microsoft as "controlling" because they restrict your access to these folders; a rational thinker will see it as a benefit.

CCleaner likely calls the IE history erasing dialogues because only Internet Explorer's processes (iexplore.exe) are permitted to have full RW access to the cookie/history folders. This method, while irritating; ensures that the cleaning is performed to the fullest extent and mitigates any potential data corruption issues.

Windows XP users don't see this dialogs as that operating system lacks the modern data protection features present in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and (to an even greater extent) Windows 8.

I'm Shane.