CCleaner Community Forums
hazelnut

Adblock Plus will soon block fewer ads

And a whole lot of people will then move to the next software. I'm glad I block most advertisements via the Host level

(site's down currently here's a cached from bing http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=http%3a%2f%2fsiliconfilter.com%2fadblock-plus-will-soon-block-fewer-ads-by-default-allow-non-intrusive-ads%2f&d=27023578808128303&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=4b602e23,e9fe8ef1)

I'm not going back to seeing ads everywhere,

Ditto!!!

I would pay for an adblocker if I had too.

I wouldn't, there's the hosts file and blocking via the browser too.

I don't like the host file method. Always seemed to either cause problems with pages loading or slow down my internet connection. I've never had any problem with adblock and would hate to have to switch.

right thus the "by default" part of the conversation. ^_^

U can just save the old adblock & use it every time from your flash drive.

Install firefox, then drag adblock +.xpi onto firefox & it will install.

No worries about the fickleness of the newer version, when the old works fine, hey?

Just be sure to turn off extension update check in Firefox so that it does not overwrite the old version with a less effective newer version that doesn't block the same ads.

U can just save the old adblock & use it every time from your flash drive.

If you untick ☐Allow non-intrusive advertising, will it function essentially the same as the earlier version?

If you untick ☐Allow non-intrusive advertising, will it function essentially the same as the earlier version?

Guess so, and at least for me it's easier. :D

@ice, although I have heard that Chrome adblock only masks the ads, while Firefox adblock actually blocks them.

How true this is, I do not know, as I have not used Chrome enough to test this, but it's certainly interesting!

Possibly, but for now, it's just easier to setup the version I know works...

I just hate to think that we are going to have to jump through more & more hoops to have things working like we want them in the future...

UGH!!! LOL!

@ice, although I have heard that Chrome adblock only masks the ads, while Firefox adblock actually blocks them.

How true this is, I do not know, as I have not used Chrome enough to test this, but it's certainly interesting!

I believe you're right. I don't think Chrome actually allows for true content blocking before it's loaded yet.