Winapp2.ini on skates - making it 40 times faster.

Alan_B

I counter your request with an alternative.

There is a guy with so much spare time he is constantly changing hats - lets ask him to sort the file before it gets posted :D

A quick possibility for you is to change one line of code, at line 50.

Original :-

IF %TRIM_NAME%==#_FIX.INI CALL :Sort_INI #_H1.TXT #_H2.TXT

Suggested (and untested) :-

IF %TRIM_NAME%==#_FIX.INI ( CALL :Sort_INI #_H1.TXT #_H2.TXT & EXIT /B )

This change should cause the script to terminate immediately after sorting and replacing the original file.

Please let me know if this is good for you.

Right now a am quite busy beating a new Windows installation into submission :lol:

No worries Alan...put it on your backburner. I just made the changes and ran tests. Whether you overwrite or skip, the script terminates at that point.

25qd6wl.jpg

I do my best to sort the file alphabetically (manually). I might try a simply python script to read the ini and write a new one back out with the headers sorted.

Why not use Trim_12 which identifies Volatiles and will sort the full *.ini file before it cuts out any entries.

Whilst the initial aim was to create a reduced *.ini, it now allows sorting first, and you can choose to finish with the Full size sorted, not the reduced sorted.

Regards

Alan

• 9 months later...

I do not permit UAC to live on my Windows 7.

I only briefly activated it to identify and debug issues that UAC was causing other who used my script.

Windows 8 is a whole new can of worms which I hope never to bite into :rolleyes:

I suspect that Windows 8 does not readily tolerate a batch script deleting files and folders.

I really hope that WinApp2.ini can sort your problem on his Win 8 machine.

• 1 year later...

Why not use Trim_12 which identifies Volatiles and will sort the full *.ini file before it cuts out any entries.

Whilst the initial aim was to create a reduced *.ini, it now allows sorting first, and you can choose to finish with the Full size sorted, not the reduced sorted.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan_B

I have been trying to understand Trim.bat and am confused by the existence of embedded instructions in the file, your Trim_help.txt, and the mention of other versions in this forum, e.g. Trim_12.bat.

Mr Winapp.ini (Robbie Ward) pointed me to a pasted version of the file at paste2.org/MH6sCceX as there is a problem downloading it from the Winapp2.com link, but I am unsure if the is your latest version and if it is not, where I can get the latest version.

I have experimented with Trim.bat from the paste source on an older computer and it seems to have worked, but I would feel happier if I knew it was the latest version.  At the top of the file its says "FILE CREATION 13:52 08/03/2012".

Can you or any one help with this query?

Thanks

I am a power user in some respects, but I have forgotten most of what I used to understand about batch files.

Hi

I am quite certain that I always posted the Trim*.bat variants as Trim*.txt variants because Piriform did not allow *.bat updates,

with the instruction that after copying / downloading the name should be changed to Trim*.bat.

I am absolutely certain my postings were in normal Windows ANSI standard with conventional CR/LF ( 0x0D,0x0A ) style line terminators,

and not the horrible unreadable UNIX style variants ( omitting the 0x0D ) which subsequently appeared on the forum

Windows powered up in stupid mode over a year ago and confused itself over which HDD possessed which Disk Identity,

then automatically resolved the confusion by copying the Disk Identity of the MBR style 960 GB HDD to the GPT style 600 GB HDD,

and because the 600 GB is always the first to be ready and becomes Drive 0, and it now had the signature of the 960 GB HDD,

and then it saw the 960  GB HDD as DIsk 1 and immediately put Disk 1 OFFLINE due to Disk signature conflict - stupid imbecilic Windows.

Windows then started C:\Windows on the 600 GB HDD - and fell flat on its back - legs in the air like a dead cockroach because there was no C:\Windows on that HDD.

I had the proper C:\Windows running on the 960 GB HDD within half an hour.

Stupid cantankerous Windows will NOT allow me to cancel its folly - it will not allow me to change back to GPT unless I first INIT the drive.

All my primary partition image backups were held on the GPT disk - Windows now sees it all as RAW or UNALLOCATED.

I always copied my primary backups to both an ESATA and USB connected external drives, so no serious data loss.

Unfortunately all my adjustments to TRIM.BAT were created / tested on the 600 GB HDD,

and the latest tweaks were not part of any image backup.

I now have a superior data recovery tool which can access the "RAW / UNALLOCATED" files,

and tomorrow I plan to dig out the the latest Trim bat file.