Does free space wipe make the hard drive slower?

loveranger

• Moderators

What it will do is GREATLY reduce the life of the drive.

A Hard drive has a finite (but undefined) amount of times it can be written to. It is suggested that if you do a wipe free space, that you only do it upon occacsion of retiring/selling the hard drive.

Search the Internet for "click of death" to see what could happen with too much WFS.

35 Guttman has been pretty much found to be a paranoid's dream and not worth doing (honestly anything over one secure wipe is overkill, but DoD still seems pretty much the upper limits of caution).

Peter Guttman himself states at the end of his Paper on the 35-wipe method:

In fact performing the full 35-pass overwrite is pointless for any drive since it targets a blend of scenarios involving all types of (normally-used) encoding technology...
http://en.wikipedia....ethod#Criticism

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Peter Guttman stated, according to Wikipedia

Peter Gutmann investigated data recovery from nominally overwritten media in the mid-1990s. He suggested magnetic force microscopy may be able to recover such data, and developed specific patterns, for specific drive technologies, designed to counter such.[2] These patterns have come to be known as the Gutmann method.

• Moderators

not sure what you are getting at saying who Guttman was. Especially as I'd just defined who he was & quoted what he stated at the end of the very paper the description you presented stated. Again, 35 wipe is overkill. You asked "will it make the harddisc slower" the answer is "No, but it will kill your drive a lot faster if you clean at that level; you should, thus, not wipe freespace at that level of passes, & should, instead, keep it at 1 secure pass or at most DoD 8 pass if truly it concerns you that somebody might see Every Single File you've ever deleted.

On a personal note: I am probably the most paranoid person (outside of clinical diagnosis) that I know. The ONLY time I use Guttman, DoD or even 3-Pass is when I am destroying files related to malware, & it is only those specific files which I shred, not an entire disc.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Single pass would, if anything, speed things up.

Windows reserves chunks with files to be used last, till free space is gone.

So areas containing deleted files are overwritten last.

Wiping all the free space, including deleted files, restores this "blank" slate.

Catch is, this also reduces drive life.

So just once in a while is all that should be done.

And a single pass is usually pretty good.

• Moderators

generally we answer that question with, with enough computing power & time investment a good data recovery expert can recover most anything.

The only way to make data virtually unrecoverable is to physically destroy the device.

that said unless you are doing illegal things there is no need to worry about data forensics.

If you are doing something illegal I will advise you to take it elsewhere as law breaking violates both the letter of the ccleaner license & the standards of this website

• Moderators

ok are you arguing here, or are you trying to have your initial question answered?

a single link means not much to me

again I refer back to my last two posts.

I think if you are only here to argue, I don't need to keep replying, if you haven't had your question answered please be clear on what you still do not understand, don't just link me to a youtube talking about if something can be recovered after secure deletion

I stated that 1 pass is all that is needed and the video you linked agrees, so?

True but you argued that "with enough computing power & time investment a good data recovery expert can recover most anything."

How did you come to this conclusion? Did you just make that up or do you have facts to prove your statement? The website from my previous post argues otherwise.

loveranger you have had an answer to the question you posted.

Please don't try to further the point or I will close this thread..

Members have tried to be helpful here

I just wanted to be clear on what he posted earlier. Is it based on assumption or facts? Please don't mislead others with false information based on what you "believe".

I just wanted to be clear on what he posted earlier. Is it based on assumption or facts? Please don't mislead others with false information based on what you "believe".

If you were interested in facts you should have heard about Moore's Law.

YOU are the one trying to mislead others with a false notion that the present reality is permanent.

Do you not realise that this year's quad core 64 bit CPU works faster than last decade's single core 16 bit CPU,

and as the hardware and the software improve, so to does the capability of finding significance in what at one time would have been incomprehensible.

• Moderators

Enough. Question has been answered. As to not have anymore issues in this thread, I will admit that my statement in question is a catch-all for (as Alan stated) the slight possibility that someone is of Osama Bin Ladin Caliber, and that with "unlimited" funds and time data (not all data, but a signifcant amount) can be retrieved.

You, I assume are not of the caliber where "money is not an issue" and thus

honestly anything over one secure wipe is overkill, but DoD still seems pretty much the upper limits of caution

I am now closing this thread as the question is answered and quibbling will not help future generations of readers.