Want to Delete Backup and Format Solid State Drive

Mudd

I'm in a mess again, my fault but I won't tell what or why. I have a program with the computer that will restore to Original Factory and also will make a backup of all my programs at the same time. All went well until I got my programs back and now I want to delete the BACKUP from the C drive.It's 20GB in size. Won't go to the Recycle Bin even thought I change it to accept 39GB. Keeps saying "You Need Permission to do this." I logged in as Administrator under the name "DDUM" and move me to Guest. Didn't change a thing. While in as Admin I tried moving the file to recycle by dragging. No luck. I"m asking some of the folks here that have transistors and other electrical things in their Brain to offer solution.

Right after the Backup, thought I would be smart and Clone the unit just after restoring (before I discovered the Backup Folder.) Have a 100GB Solid State, I think that is what it's called, so I put the Clone there. My C drive has a Partition D where the Restore stuff is. I did a really dumb thing on the 100GB as I had all kinds of stuff there that I want to keep. There was 78GB of free space left. I figured it would use that. Nope, it wiped everything out and put the C and D drives there. So dumb me thought " delete this all and use Recuva to get my stuff back.

Now here I am. It deleted the things on the D drive but the thing on the Ghost was on another partition and it said I would need to reformat the drive. BANG!!!! I've tried and tried. The progress indicator will to about 98-99 and it hangs there. I have left it there for as much as 8 hours.

This little solid drive was not inexpensive and hate to loose it almost as bad my saved stuff. Second Cry. Can anyone give me guidance on making this thing format? It's a hitachi that slips into the face of the PC. Really nice to have.

People around here would say this is a "bunch of Horse s**t" and maybe so. I don't know what to do other then accept the big 76GB in the PC when it is half that or less, and not being able to Format my Solid State Drive, hoping to save some of my funnies.

Many Thanks, Just tried the Format again and got a message this time. Message was "The Parameter is incorrect" if that will help. This on the Solid state Hard Drive.

Mudd

• Moderators

Have you tried to delete the big file on C drive in safe mode Mudd?

Also until others jump in with a bit of advice on SSD's I would stop trying to format it. I take it you are trying to do this in Windows disk management and just doing a quick format?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

If you know how to, you could try to unplug and replug the drives physically (especially the SSD) and see if the cables are OK. If you have spare (SATA?) cables you can try to change those, too.

Like hazelnut said, have you tried these actions in SafeMode (delete the backup and/or the format)?

Have you rebooted your PC?

Also until others jump in with a bit of advice on SSD's I would stop trying to format it. I take it you are trying to do this in Windows disk management and just doing a quick format?

No, I just select the folder and then select DELETE. No smart enough to got to Disk Management.

Mudd

If you know how to, you could try to unplug and replug the drives physically (especially the SSD) and see if the cables are OK. If you have spare (SATA?) cables you can try to change those, too.

Like hazelnut said, have you tried these actions in SafeMode (delete the backup and/or the format)?

Have you rebooted your PC?

I tried the SAFE MODE just now and no luck on the deletion of the Folder in C that has the backup. Also in SM I got the following, "Window could not Format the Drive." same as in regular mode. I did unplug the drive restarted the PC, turned it off and replugged the drive. No change. I'm talking about the SSD. Don't have cables, however one partition on the SSD works just fine, the large partition does not. It was not partitioned until the CLONE happened. Wish I had never heard the work CLONE!

Now going to try Kroozer's suggestion. Thanks for the post.

Mudd

No progress at all. Have tried all suggested by Hazelnut, Nodles, and Kroozer. I think the solution to the Backup Folder with the Backup made originally would be to reformat again and not save my software, just a Factory Restore. Put all my software in after.

The SSD, well I don't know what to do about it as it will not format. After trying Kroozer's suggestion I tried again and got a message "Window cannot Format this Drive." Is there a program out there somewhere that allows one to completely delete the data on a drive? I might try that to get my SSD back.

Thanks to everyone.

Mudd

You could try Unlocker to delete the file.

If no locking handles are found, using unlocker try to delete, rename then delete, or move file to desktop then drag or delete file to recycle bin.

Use this program with caution, and watch for Toolbar and desktop shortcuts during install. ;)

Unlocker, linked here by Jamin, is what I used to delete the folder when Allen2007's method didn't work. Deleted the folder in pieces -- with a slow processor it took hours, and patience. :)

I noticed the download size is different at File Hippo than it is at the authors site.

They also offer different versions. Here's a link for the download.

Watch for Toolbar and desktop shortcuts during install.

I noticed the download size is different at File Hippo than it is at the authors site.

Will have to try something else, this wouldn't work. Window came up saying "Cannot find handle." Will look at the other versions posted.

Thanks all.

Mudd

• Moderators

Enable the super admin mode following the easy steps shown here. Then delete the file.

If this works (or even if it doesn't ) make sure you follow the steps to diable super admin mode afterwards.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Do you have some other PC where you could plug/install the SSD and try to format it in there?

Have another PC but this thing plugs into a slot not a USB that plugs into a regular USB slot. It has one but also has a Power Plug. I've tried to slave a USB cord to it but with no power it doesn't run.

Mudd

Enable the super admin mode following the easy steps shown here. Then delete the file.

If this works (or even if it doesn't ) make sure you follow the steps to disable super admin mode afterwards.

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

I think this is getting to be over my head! I'll followed the instruction on the page you sent link to. I've only one account now, it's Mudd as administrator. I go to the bad SSD right click, nothing. I go to the Backup File, right click, not Administrator line. The only time I've seen Administrator line is when there is a program to install and it appears there. I'll keep reading over and over and see if I can get it into my head.

Thanks again

Mudd

Did you try using unlocker to delete, rename then delete, or move file to desktop then drag or delete file to recycle bin?

Everything except "drag or delete file to recycle bin" which I will do now. If it works, I'll come back with a big Yahoo.

Mudd

You could also try shift+delete to bypass the recycle bin. (Use with caution)

This item was the closest thing that worked. It actually showed the progress line going across. It went so far and got the System Files, try skip then retry and it just finally stop working. Logged off you might say. I did loose about 5.5GB on this try. Went from 30 to 20 trying other things then from 20 to 14.5MB on your suggestion. It just won't go any more. Was able to move the folder to the desktop, renamed it Horses Potoot, tried to delete it, tried to drag to Recycle Bin, nothing worked. So back to my old reformat again. This time no saving program files, just get the old Factory Restore. I keep all the thing I install on a 16GB Flash drive so no problem there.

All I have to do this winter is watch the sand blow by the window so have plenty of time.

Again, thanks to all. I've tried to answer each post. If I missed you, my mistake.

Mudd

If this works (or even if it doesn't ) make sure you follow the steps to diable super admin mode afterwards.

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

I did finally get this to work as Super Administrator or whatever it's called but had no affect on what I'm trying to do. So I quit on correcting what mistakes I did. Back to the old reformat and NO saving programs. I can add them.

Thanks alot for the help. Keep blowing those balloons.

Mudd

• Moderators

You can also delete files on reboot by using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware then go into 'More Tools->FileASSASSIN' or download FileASSASSIN as a separate program to use alone, both are at http://www.malwarebytes.org/.

HijackThis can also delete files on reboot in 'Misc Tools->Delete a file on reboot'.

You can also delete files on reboot by using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware then go into 'More Tools->FileASSASSIN' or download FileASSASSIN as a separate program to use alone, both are at http://www.malwarebytes.org/.

HijackThis can also delete files on reboot in 'Misc Tools->Delete a file on reboot'.

I've downloaded the files and will try Tuesday. I've had it today. Been at this for hours. Medical stuff tomorrow. If this doesn't work, back to reformatting.

Thanks for the information.

Mudd

• Moderators

Mudd once you made a super admin account you didn't need any permission to delete, so you wouldn't see right-click run as admin, you just had to right-click delete.

You are doing really good trying all these things, you will end up teaching us at this rate!!.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Ma'am I tried that and things that and all he things that Andvari suggested. That didn't help as it will not do as I hoped it would.

So old smart me?decided to go back to square one and do something else. So I did a restore back to where I was just after he Ghost. Once done, the world exploded inside Hy PC.

Current is won't : Start; Safe Mode: with a recovery disk in the CD; or will it start with a Repair d*** that came with the Unit. In summary it just won't!!!!!

I having to have some Medical work out of the area today and possible tomorrow. Will report back on how much noise the PC made when it fell at the Dump or how well my new One runs.

Thank you Hazelnut, you are a very generous person with you time and advise.

Mudd

Mudd