.RAR

Canary

RAR is an archive. It compresses many files and puts them together into an archive which is one file. That makes the file smaller while compressed. You can extract it if you want.

See Wikipedia article; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAR

You can use 7-Zip for extracting RAR archives. www.7-zip.org

It is a completly free archiver.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Come on guys Zip Genius is where its at. It uses every format I can think of as well.

ZipGenius is a powerful zip tool that offers support for more than 20 different compression formats, including 7zip, ZIP64, UPX and many others. It supports drag and drop, 5 compression levels, full customization and integration in Windows Explorer. The program also comes with a built in FTP client that allows to download and upload files from within the software. The signature features allows you to add your signature and contact information to any zip file you create. ZipGenius also supports the creation of self-extracting exe files, complete with custom setup launch and icon. ZipGenius also comes with additional features like encryption, scanner support (acquire pictures and zip them into files), backup, statistics, download time calculator, disk spanning, file export, support for OpenOffice and more. It can also interact with your Pocket PC device. Very nice!

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/zipgenius.html

You geeks can argue all you want about which archiver is best, I still say many computer users have no need of one, they just need to be able to extract compressed files. That's why I suggested ExtractNow, it's small, simple, and it only takes a minute to figure out how to use it.

• Moderators
You geeks can argue all you want about which archiver is best, I still say many computer users have no need of one, they just need to be able to extract compressed files. That's why I suggested ExtractNow, it's small, simple, and it only takes a minute to figure out how to use it.

24371[/snapback]

Wow is someone a little bitter that they suggested a crappy program? :P /joke

We werent arguing either. We were answering this guys question about what program we use and why.

I think your wrong though, in this day and age where people send attachments in emails zip programs are widely used.(I send in my HW all the time zipped as an attachement).

Wow is someone a little bitter that they suggested a crappy program? :P /joke

We werent arguing either. We were answering this guys question about what program we use and why.

I think your wrong though, in this day and age where people send attachments in emails zip programs are widely used.(I send in my HW all the time zipped as an attachement).

24383[/snapback]

The OP just asked for something free that could open .rar files, what programs you use and why was not part of the question.

While I found your debate pretty interesting, it went way beyond the scope of the request that started this thread. I just thought you guys needed to be reminded that there are a lot of computer users out there who are not very advanced, for some people the best program is the simplest program.

Nothing really wrong with this thread evolving into a discussion of which archiving program is best, but it's important to make sure that the person who was seeking assistance is helped, as the first order of business.

Go back and look at the original post, do you really think that person needs a program that can compress/decompress twenty different formats? B)

For people who just use computers sometimes, not so much, check the mails, visit a website, talk to some people on their faovourite IM, then they can probably live without an archiver.

But any serious computer user should have an archiver. They are very useful, it handy to be able to extract/compress files from/into many different archive formats. It saves disk space, saves bandwidth, can download/upload a compressed file/archive faster than uncompressed raw file.

You can send one archive containing thousand of files, instead of sending them one by one.

I use 7-Zip, I choose it because it is simplistic, light-weight, un-intrusive and because of its open and free nature.

There are probably alot of other decent archivers out there. Several years ago I used to use WinZip, it used to be pretty good. Now I dont use it anymore, because it sucks, I dislike it. It puts itself and runs in the background all the time instead of just staying away and not being there when not needed.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

"But any serious computer user should have an archiver." I wouldn't argue against that statement. The serious user would know how to find one, though. The person who comes to this forum asking "is there a program that can open a .rar file, that I don't have to pay for?" is most likely a newbie.

More advanced users will see this thread, too, so if it continues on into a "favorite archiver" discussion, that's great, lotsa people will be interested. It just seemed like an opportune place to deliver a message: Don't forget to help the noob.

But any serious computer user should have an archiver. They are very useful, it handy to be able to extract/compress files from/into many different archive formats. It saves disk space, saves bandwidth, can download/upload a compressed file/archive faster than uncompressed raw file.

You can send one archive containing thousand of files, instead of sending them one by one.

Which is why I use TUGZip....