Lenovo IdeaPad (Netbook) & external DVD Multi-Writer

DennisD

• Moderators

My daughter has a Lenovo S10-2 Netbook, and I'm planning on buying her a mains powered LG DVD Multi-writer to use with it.

The question is the Netbook has a processor speed of 1.66 GHz whilst the LG drive states a system requirement of around 3.0 GHz.

Will this have much effect on the drives performance as I'm assuming it will at least work?

I'm not too keen on the USB powered slim DVD writers as they don't compare build and performance wise, but I'm wondering if the full size mains powered drives are too much for a small Netbook.

It should work fine, so long as the software you are using supports buffer-under run technology.

Windows drag & drop is not a good DVD/CD burner. At least not in XP. It will burn 40 mb to 100 or so mb fine, but much over, & you have a coaster. This is on a highspeed machine. Windows uses buggy code from Roxio.

Windows 7 burn engine, I cannot say for sure on. Nor, can I Roxio, as they are bloated.

Recommended you try one of the following:

- Nero

- Infra Recorder

- IMGBurn

There are other really good ones, & I know Nero seems to do outstanding with buffer under-run tech. In XP, you will want to use Nero 6.6 or higher. In Windows 7, you will want to use Nero 8 or higher. You need those versions to avoid messages about incompatibilities, especially with certain Service Packs being installed.

I have an LG external DVD multi-writer, & it works great with my Aspire D260 Netbook.

• Moderators

Thanks for all your input guys, but my fears were unfounded. It arrived today, and whilst my daughter was at work I gave it a try.

Just for info, it works at the same speeds my desktop internal LG DVDRom drives do with both CD and DVD playback and burning, so the 3.04GHz requirements are not to be taken literally. I've just burned a DVD with no problems or lack of speed ( set at 8X maximum).

I've been an "ImgBurn" user for a long time and use it for everything except CD burning. That honour goes to "Burrrn".

So it's now winging it's way to the dude in the red suit. :)

EDIT: I thought the same hazel, but I'm pleasantly surprised.