Hard disk extra working...

Eli

Hi

My hard disk is incessantly working although I `m not giving it any task to go through, I have tried to find some unknown processes using the task bar with no success, the system was scanned thoroughly with Avast, with no findings, CPU usage=OK, any suggestions?

Thanks

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

• Moderators

What are all the languages in your post there for?

Does it happen in safe mode?

Does it happen if you use another user?

Have you tried turning off everything in startup (including av) rebooting and seeing what happens then? (turn av back on after test of course)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

What are all the languages in your post there for?

Does it happen in safe mode?

Does it happen if you use another user?

Have you tried turning off everything in startup (including av) rebooting and seeing what happens then? (turn av back on after test of course)

Hi Hazelnut

While I was posting,the machine crashed on me and went through memory dump to physical disc that is why all the gibberish.

I`ll try the three other options u have offered and revert.

Thanks

• Moderators

Use 'Blue screen viewer' to try and see what caused the crash

http://www.nirsoft.n...creen_view.html

(download at bottom of that page, be aware ccleaner cleans dump files so don't clean yet!)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

(download at bottom of that page, be aware ccleaner cleans dump files so don't clean yet!)

Oops... I`ve already deleted the dump file, if it happens again I`ll do that, I have this Nirsoft`s program that never used before and even forgot that I have it.

You could give this program a try to see what processes are accessing the disk - the aptly titled Whats My Computer Doing

Blessed be you JDPower, I did not know such a program existed, very helpful, thank you!

Well, there is one thing I`d like the program[what`s my computer doing] to do: where does it write in the disk and how much.

HI, Eli. There is a pretty good system viewer app called "WhatsRunning", found at http://www.whatsrunning.net/

I'm not too sure just what you mean by "Where does it write to the disk" but you could give it a try. It shows quite a bit of info about what your system is doing.

It is harmless afaik. It uninstalls from the native windows uninstaller, but I'm not sure if it leaves junk behind or not, have no reason to believe it does. I cannot test that as I am running it now under powershadow so any changes will be gone anyway.

edit: After uninstall Whatsrunning does leave behind some files and folders in C:\Program Files on this machine, and one or 2 registry entries, don't know if they would be gone after a normal restart or not. No harm done, though.

If you are more comfortable waiting, maybe some other member will ring in with additional information about this app. I have used it some in the past, but just superficially.

Post up whatever you work out. I think everybody here loves problem solving, sort of an addiction. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

HI, Eli. There is a pretty good system viewer app called "WhatsRunning", found at http://www.whatsrunning.net/

I'm not too sure just what you mean by "Where does it write to the disk" but you could give it a try. It shows quite a bit of info about what your system is doing.

It is harmless afaik. It uninstalls from the native windows uninstaller, but I'm not sure if it leaves junk behind or not, have no reason to believe it does. I cannot test that as I am running it now under powershadow so any changes will be gone anyway.

edit: After uninstall Whatsrunning does leave behind some files and folders in C:\Program Files on this machine, and one or 2 registry entries, don't know if they would be gone after a normal restart or not. No harm done, though.

If you are more comfortable waiting, maybe some other member will ring in with additional information about this app. I have used it some in the past, but just superficially.

Post up whatever you work out. I think everybody here loves problem solving, sort of an addiction. :P

Thank you for you reply login123, I`ve tried "WhatsRunning" and that one is definitely a keeper/stripper :lol: thank you!

I meant by where does it write to the disk, for example if it writes to the page file and how much.

BTW, What`s my computer doing, reports some false warnings one should be aware of, and recheck.

Eli, you're very welcome.

Thanks for the heads up about What`s my computer doing.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to tell where and how much an app writes to the disk.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

What kind of warnings?

Even though the attachment states otherwise, the facts are as follows:

1.The file is located in the windows folder.

2.No malware findings.

HI Hazelnut, I got the blue screen again the culprit as per the log is the Windows file:ntkrnlpa.exe.

As you do not have the option to uplad this kind of file, you can download the dump file from here: http://www.2shared.c...i121111-01.html,

I`ve also attached the properties report as per Blue screen view.

Any assistance/suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks.

post-18400-0-10305500-1323583700_thumb.gif

Not really my area of expertise Eli but if I look at your minidump using Windows own debugger this is what I see below.

Thank you Hazelnut, still haven`t got a clue as to what to do next, hope somebody here with some expertise on this issue will help me out.

Yes I did, and it did not find errors. On top of that, the disk still runs like hell a few times a day with no process as culprit and no malware findings as per Avast`s scans.

Unfortunately It looks like I`m going to have to reformat .....or worse if it is a hardware issue.

Is it HDD or SSD? Did this start just suddenly? How about memory/RAM usage? Did WhatsRunning point something weird/huge usage of some software/service?

Have you tried defragging the drive?

It is HDD.Started about 2 weeks ago.Ram usage with FFabout 2 tabs open 50% from a total of 1 GB. Whats running did not point any anomaly I could notice.

• Moderators

Windows own built-in Automatic Updates can cause allot of hard disk thrashing and uses plenty of resources when it's looking for updates. This usually will cease after the computer has been up and running for several minutes.

I personally set the Automatic Updates service to the "manual startup type", since I manually check for Windows Updates, and don't want that services' bloat-age at each and every startup which makes everything else slow until it finishes.

Edit: That service is known to make Windows XP systems run like crap when it's searching for updates!

I personally set the Automatic Updates service to the "manual startup type", since I manually check for Windows Updates

Andavari-- if you change this service setting to "manual," how do you go about manually checking for Windows updates?

Windows own built-in Automatic Updates can cause allot of hard disk thrashing and uses plenty of resources when it's looking for updates. This usually will cease after the computer has been up and running for several minutes.

I personally set the Automatic Updates service to the "manual startup type", since I manually check for Windows Updates, and don't want that services' bloat-age at each and every startup which makes everything else slow until it finishes.

Edit: That service is known to make Windows XP systems run like crap when it's searching for updates!

You are probably talking about waucult.exe that more than once had to kill because it loaded so much on the system so it could not move, anyways I have the updating service set only to inform me if I have new updates, and if there are, I manually choose what updates to download , is that what you mean? or you totally disable the updating service and then you periodically check if any updates available at their site by yourself?