The most "recent" restore point issue(bug)?

luweitest

I don't know if my understanding of restore points is correct: the restore points are linked like a chain according to the sequence of snapshot, not the time of snapshot. But CCleaner seems sort them by date, and don't let me delete a previous restore point which created at wrong (future) system clock, now always recognized as the most recent. Could it be solved?

I think that what he is saying, is all his Restore points are incorrectly dated, due to system clock.

And that he wishes to clear them all so he can re-create them & fix all the problems.

_________

You can do this, but first, be sure you have everything backed safely up on an external drive so that you have a method to recover in the event that something goes wrong.

Right-click My Computer, properties & go to the System Restore tab under XP, or System Protection under Windows Vista/7.

Then turn off System Restore/apply, & let it purge your restore points. Be sure that you re-enable so it can create brand new restore points.

If your clock is wrong, it perhaps indicates a low/dead system battery that needs to be replaced. Motherboard batteries keep the clock on time.

Also, when you set up Windows, be sure you select the correct time settings. Normally when you set up Windows, it sets up in the wrong time Zone.

For me, it tries to use - 8 for the time zone, which I have to set to the - 5 Eastern US in order to correctly correct the 3 hr difference.

_________

You can, of course, correct this without the time zone change, but you may experience problems again with the time zone in the wrong setting for your place.

Yes, one of my restore points are incorrectly dated, due to once wrong system time setting.

I wonder whether the correct create sequence can be recognized, and delete that specific restore point. It is not the most "recent" restore point, although it has a future time stamp, and CCleaner greyed it out.

Superfast has given you a viable solution that will give you correct operation - but you cannot return to a previous status.

Is Windows able to return you to past Restore Points - if not then you lose nothing by wiping out the tangled mess.

There are tools available with which you can :-

bypass permission restrictions to the System Volume Information folder ;

find inside the relevant Restore Point folder with the future date-time stamp and set it to and appropriate past date ;

and restore the previous protective permission restrictions.

That could POSSIBLY allow you to restore the system to any past restore point,

but those tools need knowledge and skill to avoid killing a computer so I will not encourage you to go there.

Using that method is dicey -- you don't know if your points are reliable.

I think the best (and easiest) solution is to simply cycle off and on System Protection, which also fixes a corrupt System Restore. Immediately afterward create a restore point.

14895u.png

Using that method is dicey -- you don't know if your points are reliable.

I think the best (and easiest) solution is to simply cycle off and on System Protection, which also fixes a corrupt System Restore. Immediately afterward create a restore point.

Agreed

Thank you all, I think the suggestion to turn system restore on and off will surely works and I'm going to do that.

Yet still I wonder whether the correct restore point sequence could be recognized. If it can, then it will be a good enhancement of CCleaner.

• Moderators

it will be recognized when it is no longer in the future

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yet still I wonder whether the correct restore point sequence could be recognized. If it can, then it will be a good enhancement of CCleaner.

This could all be a waste of time.

Question, does this error break the ability of Windows System Restore to actually restore the system to a previous Restore Point.

If it cannot restore then you have nothing to lose by purging ALL Restore Points via Superfast's suggestion.

Question, does this error break the ability of Windows System Restore to actually restore the system to a previous Restore Point.

If it cannot restore then you have nothing to lose by purging ALL Restore Points via Superfast's suggestion.

Yes, it can restore. I have restored to a previous restore point. But I want to reserve another older restore point.

The clean solution is to scrap all restore points and restart the System Restore mechanism.

Alternatives are :-

Choose to find and use tools such as I first suggested.

This poses grave risks to your system as you have been warned,

and I neither encourage you to do this,

nor have the time and skill to hand hold you; or

Disconnect or Fire-Wall Block the Internet so DATE is under your control;

Set set clock to a date beyond the bad R.P. so that it is no longer greyed out by CC, which may still NOT YET delete it;

Create a NEW R.P. which CC will recognise as the latest, AND THEN you can use CC to remove this R.P. that is causing you grief;

Restore correct DATE and enable the Internet.

The old "bogey R.P." is now gone, but you have created a new one - enjoy :rolleyes:

Edited by Alan_B

Another easier option :-

Reduce the space available for restore points, and Windows should automatically remove the oldest (in reality - not by defective time stamp)

You MAY need to reboot before Windows takes the correct action,

and possibly a second reboot before you can see they have been removed.

Keep on reducing the space and observing the disappearance of the remaining "oldest" and with a bit of luck the rogue with the wrong time stamp will be removed.

I think under XP you right click "Computer" and select properties to control which Drives have System Protection, and that is where you control available space.

There is something similar under W7 but I have no experience of it because I much prefer Macrium Reflect for perfect restoration.

There is something similar under W7 but I have no experience of it because I much prefer Macrium Reflect for perfect restoration.

Yes. As shown in my image above in post #6 -- click Configure, you'll see this slider for controlling usage.

23tjec8.png