"Cookie to Keep" deleted anyway

jmorlan

I have westernfieldornithologists.org and www.westernfieldornithologists.org listed under "Cookies to Keep." However, when I run CCleaner (latest version, Win7 SP1, 32bit) a cookie with the name "coppermine_data" is removed from that domain name anyway.

I'm using Firefox 7.0.1. How can I prevent this from happening? It's important to me that that particular cookie be saved.

Thanks.

Latest to you is not always latest to me.

Which version number CCleaner ?

Did the previous version have the same problem. ?

Have you looked at the "Cookies to Delete" list and moved to cookie to the "Cookies to Keep" side ?

This is what I get when I check for updates:

You are using version 3.12.1572

Congratulations, this is the very latest version!

So that's what I mean by the latest version which I am using.

Yes, previous versions had the same problem.

Yes, I have checked "Cookies to Delete" and there are no entries for the domain name westernfieldornithologists.org on the list. Both have been moved to the "Cookies to Keep" list as described above.

You will not have a "coppermine_data" cookie unless you are an administrator with login credentials to the photo gallery. The cookie is set when you login and check the "remember me" box. That's the only cookie that's being deleted without permission.

Thanks.

You will not have a "coppermine_data" cookie unless you are an administrator with login credentials to the photo gallery. The cookie is set when you login and check the "remember me" box. That's the only cookie that's being deleted without permission.

Thanks.

How do you know the name is seen by CCleaner as "coppermine_data" ?

Could it be disguised with a public visible name that is different ?

Are you saying that a Cookie by that name never appears as either "Cookies to Save" or "Cookies to Delete"

and yet CCleaner deletes it ?

Can you see its presence before cleaning and its absence after cleaning, and where / how do you see it ?

Or do you only know it is gone when you return to the site and it does not remember you ?

Which Browser Cookies is responsible , e.g. is it when you clean I.E. or Firefox etc.

Could it be Applications / Multi-Media / Adobe Flash etc.

Personally I always wipe the entire Macromedia structure - they need to pay me rent before I will let them bloat me with their MBytes of privacy invaders.

I don't know how CCleaner sees the name of the cookie. The cookie is not specifically listed. Only the domain is listed. I do not see cookie names in CCleaner. I only see domain names. Filtering appears to be available only by domain name. If I wish to add a string to "Cookies to Keep" I am asked to enter a domain name, not any other kind of string. When I "analyze" the Firefox cookies in CCleaner, it tells me that 0 bytes will be removed. It does not tell me the names of the cookies which will be removed:

ANALYSIS COMPLETE - (0.225 secs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 bytes to be removed. (Approximate size)

The cookie is listed when I display cookies within Firefox and look for all cookies under that domain (westernfieldornithologists.org). It also shows within Firefox when I search for cookies with "coppermine" in the name. The coppermine_data cookie is present when viewing cookies within Firefox. After cleaning it is gone from Firefox and it is necessary to login to the gallery again with credentials and check the "remember" box to reset the cookie.

It is not a Flash cookie. It is a standard cookie, the content of which is some kind of encrypted text string that looks something like this (exact details changed for security):

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%3D%3D

Edited by DennisD
Put your example in a code box to prevent it scrolling the entire forum page. :)

Under Applications / Firefox there are many check boxes, including

Cookies

Saved Form

Saved Passwords

Is your coppermine_data preserved by unchecking the above Cookies ?

Could the culprit be any one of the other Firefox checkboxes ?

• Moderators

Do you have a "Coppermine" installation on your computer?

It seems the username and password could be stored in a "config.php" file.

A little research shows this to be MYSQL Database stuff, but what MYSQL and "config.php" have in common I have no idea.

Somewhere to start at least.

http://www.knowledgesutra.com/forums/topic/23886-finding-mysql-database-password/page__view__findpost__p__156586

If you can find the files location, then you can protect it from being deleted.

Under Applications / Firefox there are many check boxes, including

Cookies

Saved Form

Saved Passwords

Is your coppermine_data preserved by unchecking the above Cookies ?

Could the culprit be any one of the other Firefox checkboxes ?

Yes, the coppermine data is preserved by unchecking the "Cookies" box under Firefox in CCleaner. But so are all other cookies including those that are unwanted and which I want to have deleted.

@DennisD - No, Coppermine is not installed on my computer. It is installed on the computer that hosts the westernfieldornithologists.org domain.

Thank you.

Yes, the coppermine data is preserved by unchecking the "Cookies" box under Firefox in CCleaner. But so are all other cookies including those that are unwanted and which I want to have deleted.

I suggest you clean and suffer the loss of Coppermine one more time.

Then aim Firefox direct at coppermine and login again and then close Firefox

After minimal exposure to the internet there will probably be very few cookies in the "Cookies to Delete" column,

and although you may not recognise it, one of those could well be the key to your password, and just needs shifting into "Cookies to Keep"

Good idea. After cleaning, I again saved the coppermine login. Exited Firefox and checked the "Cookies to Delete" column. There were only two domains listed:

addons.mozilla.com

lastpass.com

I added both domains to "Cookies to Keep" and did a new clean. This time the login information was not deleted.

It doesn't make any sense to me, but it seems to have worked.

Weird.

I use LastPass and somehow it keeps all my internet passwords on its remote servers,

and when their servers went down for a few days last year I lost all passwords until they restored service.

LastPass does not use cookies for the passwords

I have just looked in my Cookies To Keep and I see that there is a LastPass.com cookie,

which I guess is how they know me and are ready to issue my passwords from their servers as soon as Firefox is up and running.

Do you employ LastPass for other Internet sites without any problem, even when the LastPass.com cookie was removed ?

I would guess that perhaps Coppermine has some special requirement which merits a special lastpass.com cookie.

Perhaps Coppermine is using two-factor validation, which I believe is a recent LastPass enhancement.

Glad you got it fixed.

Right now LastPass has set six different cookies on my system. One sets the language. One appears to support secure connections, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Thanks for the idea, which I should have tried right from the start. It should be a standard first step to troubleshoot CCleaner cookie issues.