\Local Settings\Temp\ not cleaned ...

mtodorov

Hi

I have currently a great problem with Piriform CCleaner latest version, 3.12.0.1572.

After "Analyze" it showed something like 2.5 GB tmp files to remove, but when "Run Cleaner" was started, only something like 50 MB was actually deleted. This information is often different, giving false hopes that a big resource hog is about to be removed.

Any idea why this happens?

Also, is there a utility to clean Firefox cache and Windows TMP files (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\*.*) of all users, since they are obnoxious to delete from user to user.

Thanx.

Mt

Try this:

1. Go into 'Options -> Advanced'

2. Untick the box with the ".....24 hour" setting in it.

Yep, this works. But I filled experimentally folder with files from 2009 (obviously older than 24 hrs) - and they remained despite being "older than 24 hours".

BTW, how could I make Ccleaner clean up "Local Settings\Temp" dirs from all users?

Thanx

Mt

• Moderators

Note that this will only work from an Admin account:

1. Open CCleaner, and go into: 'Options -> Include', and then add those Temp folder paths.

2. On the main CCleaner GUI area click the large 'Cleaner' image, then on the 'Windows' (tab) scroll all the way to the bottom and tick the box under 'Advanced' which reads 'Custom Files and Folders'.

Your issue with the Temp folder could be solved by using the above instructions too, I've personally always added in my Temp folders like that so the contents are always deleted. Note that adding in Temp folders like that will never respect that "....24 hour" rule box.

Yep, this works. But I filled experimentally folder with files from 2009 (obviously older than 24 hrs) - and they remained despite being "older than 24 hours".

BTW, how could I make Ccleaner clean up "Local Settings\Temp" dirs from all users?

Thanx

Mt

To me they are obviously less than 5 minutes old

I have just copied a file and then selected each and right click for properties.

The original was modified and accessed 19 February.

The copy has the same Modified, but Accessed is 5 Nov 20:46:58

• Moderators

"Modified in last 24 hours" is how the option is worded

moving definitely qualifies as modified

just make the uncheck and they will go

cleaning all users will, in all likelihood, never be added, it could cause too much harm on a not network ccleaned computer

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

To me they are obviously less than 5 minutes old

I have just copied a file and then selected each and right click for properties.

The original was modified and accessed 19 February.

The copy has the same Modified, but Accessed is 5 Nov 20:46:58

Good point, Alan_B, but files in my original folder were left from 2009 and probably not touched (i.e. inst_KB######.log or something).

Thanx anyway.

Mt

"Modified in last 24 hours" is how the option is worded

moving definitely qualifies as modified

just make the uncheck and they will go

cleaning all users will, in all likelihood, never be added, it could cause too much harm on a not network ccleaned computer

I see. Pity at least Firefox & IE cache cannot be cleansed for all users, or can it? I am not sure any longer.

Thanx

mt

Note that this will only work from an Admin account:

1. Open CCleaner, and go into: 'Options -> Include', and then add those Temp folder paths.

2. On the main CCleaner GUI area click the large 'Cleaner' image, then on the 'Windows' (tab) scroll all the way to the bottom and tick the box under 'Advanced' which reads 'Custom Files and Folders'.

Your issue with the Temp folder could be solved by using the above instructions too, I've personally always added in my Temp folders like that so the contents are always deleted. Note that adding in Temp folders like that will never respect that "....24 hour" rule box.

Yep. This will be a serious effort on N computers I maintain, so I will probably use it just on disk clogged machines, but it is better than going from user to user and folder to folder each time.

Thanx.

mt

You have caused, or are suffering, a misunderstanding.

I understood you to have copied files from an undisclosed location to an experimental folder,

and assumed that you tried to delete those files from the experimental folder.

It REALLY does not matter that your original KB*.log files were "probably not touched" since 2009,

what IS important are the THREE date and time stamps on the COPIES in your experimental folder.

You have caused, or are suffering, a misunderstanding.

I understood you to have copied files from an undisclosed location to an experimental folder,

and assumed that you tried to delete those files from the experimental folder.

It REALLY does not matter that your original KB*.log files were "probably not touched" since 2009,

what IS important are the THREE date and time stamps on the COPIES in your experimental folder.

Good heavens, @Alan_B, no! You didn't understand a thing I'm saying.

I said that on the machines where I did not even touch C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp folder - it remained uncleaned for years! Access time there was probably as old.

I certainly still more have such machines now, but @Andavari's workaround will provide a temporary fix.

It is just that it is obnoxious to search through all users, all IE, Firefox and other browser caches and temp dirs manually when machine is i.e. 98% clogged on C: drive. I wrote out of desperation.

Thanks anyway.

mt

• Moderators

how many computers are you managing? Is this in a domain or are these separate networks (i.e. Various home users)

if the former piriform has ccleaner network edition for a fee (not trying to sell you it. I didn't even get it yet, as my domain is too small)

you could also, since this is xp, setup a copy of ccleaner on each machine with a ini file that is only readable (not writeable) by users. Have that set to clean certain user locations and have it run in automode at user startup.

you could also use computer policies to remap all users' temporary files and internet files to the folders that belong to the admin (you'll have to make those folders writable for everyone) and continue to use ccleaner as you do now.

also you could look in to the internet files viewers from nirsoft which allow access (for admins) to other users' folders)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com