HP Officejet ADF won't engage

Tr3bg0D

OK...been plagued with a problem for a while and not sure if it is me or a problem with the software or hardware or configuration setting.

I am using an HP Officejet Pro L7555 with ADF. At times when putting in pages to scan in the ADF, the feeder does not engage. I don't know what controls the wheel to slam down on the pages to feed. I first noticed the problem with my 2003 server and I thought it was my tough luck since HP did not make all the drivers for 2003. But now on W7, I have the same problem. I searched the knowledge base on both HP and Nuance (Paperport 12.1) and can't find the answer. The only thing I can think of is that the scanner is in a dormant mode and when I fire up the scanning software it takes time for the connection to be made.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of this problem?

25qd6wl.jpg

I just noticed in the SETUP of the printer/scanner that there is a PowerSave Mode. It is currently set to 1hr. I can change it to 4hrs but that really won't make a difference since I seldom use it to print but mostly scan. Today I had to scan and again the drive wheel did not slam down. Once I turned the printer on and off, it worked fine. There is always a possibility that the Paperport software is garbage....don't know why I ever got hooked on it???? :wacko:

25qd6wl.jpg

• Moderators

don't know why I ever got hooked on it???? :wacko:

It's strange the way you can end up sticking with something for certain reasons. I stuck with an HP Printer for a couple of years which drove me mad purely because it fitted exactly into a space :lol:

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I moved away from HP a few years ago when I bought my Brother AIO and then I began putting more ink in the system for just sitting idle. The ink just did not last. Just out of warranty, the heads plugged up. Try getting assistance from Brother...worthless. I finally began filling the individual cartridges with ammonia instead of new ink. Ink for the unit cost more then the printer was worth. This HP I have now is fine...price was right, ink last a very long time but the damn ADF just won't cooperate. Wish I new another peice of software similar to Paperport to switch to and test.

25qd6wl.jpg

Many thanks. While I am searching for a fix, I will also evaluate a replacement for Paperport. I think the combination will be XnView and FileCenter Professional. But I need to see about editing a PDF file. I don't want to bring in a 3rd app, but I am sure I can edit a PDF within Photoshop. After reading the comments, it seems I am not the only one that dislikes Paperport and the problem I am experiencing may trully be a Paperport issue.

25qd6wl.jpg

I need to run some more tests, but I almost convinced that it has got to do with PowerSave on the printer. TOday I had to scan and selected XnView as the program.....was not able to connect to the scanner. SO I tried Photoshop....same thing, Tried the built in windows fax/scan program and even Paperport...no connection to the scanner. Turned the scanner off and back on and everything works.

25qd6wl.jpg

Did you tried different drivers or do you have just one? Could be a hardware intermitent failure or a bug in TWAIN driver or TWAIN driver is corrupted. It is weird printer isn't responding from any of those different applications.

You should also try the printer on a different PC. If it's USB try different USB ports too, specially if using a hub.

Would you do me a favor?

I want to see if it is a hardware or software problem.

Download icarbon http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=54

It can auto scan & print in 1 click, once you go into settings & set the default scanner & printer.

Try that, see if it works. If it does not, post back.

Thank you!

• Moderators

Would you do me a favor?

Download icarbon http://www.idev.ch/i...id=76&Itemid=54

It can auto scan & print in 1 click, once you go into settings & set the default scanner & printer.

Thank you!

Is that compatible with Windows 7 Super Fast?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Would you do me a favor?

Download icarbon http://www.idev.ch/i...id=76&Itemid=54

Thank you!

R U having a similar problem?

25qd6wl.jpg

Did you tried different drivers or do you have just one? Could be a hardware intermitent failure or a bug in TWAIN driver or TWAIN driver is corrupted. It is weird printer isn't responding from any of those different applications.

You should also try the printer on a different PC. If it's USB try different USB ports too, specially if using a hub.

I only have the drivers which I downloaded from the HP site.

25qd6wl.jpg

I only have the drivers which I downloaded from the HP site.

I assume you have checked for updates on the HP website and drivers are up to date, yes?

Do you know if Windows itself has any compatible driver even if lacks some options?

You could try that too.

If I recall, the built in Mail/Fax App did work, but I may have tested when the system was "in-connection" with the scanner.

I am more leaning toward the PowerSave problem...here's why. Today I had to scan after not using it for a couple of days. Before I put the paper in the try, I lifted the lid to wake up the scanner. I then put the paper in the scanner and the ADF wheels slammed down when scanning starts.

One thing I have I have not pointed out is that this is across a lan and not via USB connection...so that throws in another variable.

25qd6wl.jpg

One thing I have found often makes printers work is the blood of virgins, or a similar sacrice, such as a goat, or burning a witch. It requires a very elaborate ritual, taking no less than 12 hours to set up and preform, but it will almost guarentee full functionality of the printer for a good five minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks so I figured I'd update.

Problem still exists and now I am more convinced it is Hardware. I initially thought that powering down and rebooting helped, but that was my imagination. I must have caught it the times it was working. The other day I tried to make copies using the ADF and the printer buttons (software does not factor in here) and the ADF did not engage. So I power cycled the printer and same thing. I have taken the roller assembly apart, looked it over closely....no broken pieces and still no luck. I need to get my hands on a service manual so I can see if there are any "GOTCHAS" that I am missing.

25qd6wl.jpg