After Cleaning the Windows Explorer settings (position, size) is gone

Guest HarryPotter

Guest HarryPotter

Hallo,

after cleaning with CCleaner the Windows Explorer Settings (u.a. Window Position, Size, etc. is gone). Which Parameter is responisble for that?

regards Stephan

• 3 weeks later...

My problem was with desktop folders in which I have icons for various applications I use. After cleaning with version 3.12.1572 the folder View would default from the Icons to Detail and be resorted alphabetically. Disabling the "Other Explorer MRUs" option under Windows Explorer resolved my problem.

I know that it should theoretically resolve the problem. However, if I uncheck everything (I even deleted custom rules to be sure), the problem still occur. I don't clean the registry.

Before: Folders with specific parameters.

Cleaning with CCleaner (even if all rules are unchecked).

After: Parameters lost.

• Moderators

Could your basic Windows Explorer folder settings have been toggled, for whatever reason?

You don't actually say that they always remain as set after rebooting, so I thought I'd ask the question.

Open any Windows Explorer window and go to "Tools\Folder Options..\View" and make sure the "Remember each folders view settings" box hasn't been un-checked.

Just a thought for want of anything better at the moment.

I really don't do anything special, I guess.

I open a folder with specific settings. I close the folder. I open CCleaner. Cleaning. I close CCleaner. I open the same folder, settings are lost.

The "Remember each folders view settings" box is okay. ;-)

• Moderators

Out of interest Galidorn what operating system are you using?

So you are saying that even with no boxes ticked if you select analyse and then clean, your settings are lost?

Does the analyse show up anything when you have all boxes unticked?

If you open your folder with the settings correctly showing and then close them and reboot, when you open the folder again are they still correct?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

but it isn't very useful :P

Very true BUT at least we now know that Windows does not throw a hissy fit when CCleaner is looking at the existence of trash,

it only gets twitchy when CCleaner is in the mood to zap anything it is allowed to zap.

This has to a small extent narrowed down the possibilities to consider.

Time to think some more. :unsure:

I'm using Windows XP SP3. I'll see if the problem occur on Windows 7.

I tried to uncheck everything. I also deleted the custom rules. The analysis showed nothing and the cleaning cleaned nothing. But the settings were still lost after the cleaning.

I reboot my computer every day, and as long as I don't use CCleaner, my settings are correct.

On my Windows 7 x64, this issue is caused by "Windows 7 Shellbags*" under the Applications tab (Winapp2.ini used).

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

Okay, it's getting weirder. :/

The box "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours" was ticked. So I unticked every box again, including this one. And it worked, I didn't lose my settings. Then I ticked the box again, leaving all the other boxes unticked. I didn't lose my settings.

Then I ticked all the boxes. My settings were lost again. Now I can tick or unticked the boxes, my settings are lost every time.

And something weirder now. It happens when I tick or untick the "24 hours" box. I close CCleaner without doing a cleaning. I open my folders with specific settings. I close the folder. I open it again and my settings are lost.

I hope I'm giving enough details ? :unsure:

• Moderators

I'm closing this thread now as CCEnhancer is neither approved nor supported by Piriform, therefore no assistance will be given to anyone using it.

If the original poster requires this thread to be reopened then please pm me, but any further discussion will not include CCEnhancer.