Ram question

souliloquy

I'm not sure, to be honest.

Mine reads

12.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (9-9-9-24)

Mine is configured in BIOS to 1600GhZ, so I'm seeing mine at about half (like your friend's) as well. Not sure how the rating works as far as reading it via speccy goes. Perhaps someone more into hardware can shed some light?

Why not close down all applications and then launch Speccy and write the the numbers with minimal RAM in use.

Then close down Speccy and open tons of applications, and then launch Speccy and see if the numbers are the same with a lot of RAM in use.

I would guess it is not whether the RAM is in use, but the honesty of the salesman.

He has dual core processors and dual channel RAM that is all good to 664 MHz so he say 2 lots of 664 = 1228 Mz and round up to 1333.

Here is a question to ponder - How does Speccy know my CPU has a Bus speed of 200.6 MHz.

Did Piriform download a Rubuim Frequency stand with Speccy,

or is Speccy using the frequency determining components of the computer to measure this B)

I'm almost sure this is because the final applicable frequency of your RAM is limited by the FSB of your CPU.

For instance, if your CPU FSB is 2000MHz, and you have 3 sticks of 1333MHz RAM, each stick will be running at a maximum of 667MHz [2000 (FSB) / 3 (sticks)].

The above example is my scenario, which leads me to ask: Will I benefit from using just 2 sticks?

Let's hope someone more enlightened in this topic comes to the rescue. :rolleyes:

[ Cool Piriform User Bar Needed ]

Ok so my friend has downloaded Speccy and it says that he has "8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664 MHz (9-9-9-24)" The question he has is that his ram is supposed to be 1333 MHz. Is the discrepancy just from the fact that the RAM is in use?

You have dual channel RAM, so if you double the speed from 664, you get 1328, which is very close to 1333.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe it is has to do with the RAM being dual channel