Possible bug with larger drives?

DJSparkles

Weirdness. Love the program, works wonderful on my interior drive.

It won't even scan my exterior drive, though. 3Tb. Wondering if maybe it's not set up for the larger sizes coming out? It used to work on the others I had, all less than 1Tb. Just curious more than anything, although I'd love to be able to use it on the big one. It won't analyze, just fails every single time I try.

Have tried restarts, running as Admin, everything I can think of. Anyone got suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

DJ

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I'm using version 2.09, 64-bit. I have two interal 2GB drives. I have a 1TB external and small external drives and Defraggler works with all of them. I added a 3TB USB 3.0 external, but on it, Defraggler says "analysis failed", on both "analysis" and "defrag".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am also trying to run this on a 3TB external hdd but get the same problems. Maybe it doesn't like the 4k sector sizes of these newer large drives.

I am pretty sure that is not the case, since Win XP has support for formatting drives in 4K sectors by default, & my Win 7 shows 4K, 8K, & also smaller sizes.

4K seems to be the default used on formatting most drives. So I am pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the sector size.

Has to be something to do with it being 3 TB.

* If you partition it into two 1.5 TB, or three 1 TB drives, does it work then? Thought it would be interesting to check, if the drives are blank...

• Moderators

Perhaps you're confusing sector size with cluster size. Windows cannot format at the sector level. The common disk sector size has been 512 bytes for years, the new larger disks are pushing 4k sectors, not before time. The disk controller probably has to emulate 512-byte sectors to keep NTFS happy: Windows is a rather conservative O/S.

• 7 months later...

Actually I _think_ it's more do with the amount of freespace on the drive rather than the size of the drive per se. My experience is this:

1. I have a 1TB LaCie USB drive which I've been using without error for 2.5 years now.
  2. Normally it runs at about 50-60% capacity, and Defraggler has been consistently and often defragging the drive without error
  3. Recently I deleted a lot of crap from the drive, bringing it down to about 20% capacity, if memory serves.
  4. After this, Defraggler failed the Analyze process and after that the drive was reporting to Windows as RAW i.e. NTFS had been knocked out along with all my data
  5. Nothing wrong with the drive, I think, as it reformatted ok and reported no errors in usage
  6. I repeated steps 4 & 5 three times with the same result.

So, I just think DF blows up on too much freespace. Still, whatever the reason, I think it's a bit rough that the analyse phase of software screws the drive. Ok if it reaches some internal limit and report as such, but to fail the drive as well in a supoosed read-only process? Not good

I've switched to Smart Defrag 2 for now, but will continue to monitor this thread. DF has the better interface, but I'm wary of testing new versions until I hear that this particular problem has been fixed.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

I just downloaded/installed/ran the lastest ver and am having the same problem on a WD GoFlex 3Tb USB external drive and an having the same problem (Analysis Failed)

Is this not fixable? Any help would be appreciated.

I have Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Desktop, shrinked the initial 3TB drive to about half (1.5 TB now). I mean, the initial reason to think about Defraggler is that if i defrag the drive, maybe i can shrink even further, but DF won't even analyze it!!

I'm going to update DF just in case it has been already solved, and i will check back....

Same here: Iomega 2TB (usb 3.0)

i might belive this external hard drives does come pre formated with security software and might conflit with Defraggler not sure,

(it came pre formated with ntfs files so didnt bother) i have no clue why defraggler cant analyze my 2TB external HDD -__-;

• 4 weeks later...

I have Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Desktop, shrinked the initial 3TB drive to about half (1.5 TB now). I mean, the initial reason to think about Defraggler is that if i defrag the drive, maybe i can shrink even further, but DF won't even analyze it!!

I'm going to update DF just in case it has been already solved, and i will check back....

I have tried various cases, and here are the results:

I have Seagate Expansion 1TB External Hard Drive that i bought few years ago, and Seagate Backup Plus 3TB External Hard Drive that i bought recently. I'll just call them "Exp" and "BP" for short.

On Exp, Analyze is fully functional. No problem.

On BP, I tried analyzing the existing 1.5 TB volume; it failed.

I created a new volume of 100 GB; analyze failed.

My laptop is 500 GB with about 100 GB free space, and analyze has no problem. (I bought the laptop in Feb 2011)

All of the devices tested were NTFS, and under Windows 7 Home Premium x64. Some drives had some files and folders, other volumes were completely free space.

Bottom line is that this new external hard drive, and probably other newly sold hard drives, are having issues with Defraggler. (Maybe other way around) As you may have noticed, for BP, no matter how big or small the volume/partition was, analyze failed all the time. The only issue i can guess that would cause this problem is USB 3.0 driver, but my laptop didn't have USB 3.0 available back then, so this may be an issue rising from USB 2.0 backward compatibility, or whatever the new driver that comes with new hard drives is not compatible with Windows 7, Windows 8, Defraggler, or whatever else.

It's been about a month since last time i posted, and this topic has been on for quite a time, and yet no prompt response has been given. From a Piriform fan, it's very disappointing.

• Moderators

The developer read all threads yet they hardly ever (read never) reply to specific threads unless they need more information, I highly suspect1 they are attempting to find and fixing something like this is high on the ToDo-List.

However

Priority support (i.e. Developer "prompt response") is available for each software

1suspect means I have 0 inside-information on this suspicion.

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Edit: my bad :(

I misread the Original thread date as 2012 instead of 2011

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 10 months later...

This issue was posted on September 22, 2011 at 4:45 PM and there is still no solution to this issue. I have a Western Digital 2TB hard drive that has always displayed "Analysis Failed" when I analyze it. It is now November 13, 2013; over two years later. Please give us an update on how this issue is being addressed or if it can even be fixed. It could be possible that the engine you are using does not recognize larger drives therefore it fails. After two years we respectfully deserve an answer.