Google chrome

Eli

Hi

I`ve installed Google chrome today and found out that it installs in the hiden Win aplications folder and not in the programs folder + it weights about 200 MB !!!!!

Anyone encountered that ? or is it only me.....?

Thanks

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

That's extremely weird for an installation, however that's were it installs into, so no problems.

Edit:

If you don't want the weird install location you can always use the portable version, or find another Chrome clone to use instead.

Thanks for your reply, meanwhile I uninstalled chrome because of some browser`s malfunction. Any recommendation for an efficient and light on the system browser, excluding opera, google chrome and FF?

Since you're wanting to exclude the main browsers let me see, perhaps try another Chromium based browser such as SRWare Iron, Chromium, or Comodo Dragon.

Don't forget it's a good ideal to try Portable versions first to see what you like first before ever committing to a Setup version.

Thank you for your reply Andavari, I`m trying now the Google chrome portable version, half the size of the installer vesion+

I decide where to put it.... If this one is not going to work for me, then I`ll try the three you suggested, thanks again.

I tried Blackhawk browser based on a recommendation by Hazel. Really good browser.

It is a chrome variant, runs fast, installs to program files at about 53 mb. wxp home here.

Some information here: http://forum.pirifor...wk&fromsearch=1 including a bit of info about resource usage.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Thank you all for the advice, BTW, Maxthon browser is also a fast one, about 80MB HDD as a portable version, with a lot of built in options+additional engine for sites tailored for IE.

Poster is wanting advice about Chrome.

K-Meleon uses Gecko the Mozilla rendering engine.

Scroll up a bit. You will see the following:

Thanks for your reply, meanwhile I uninstalled chrome because of some browser`s malfunction. Any recommendation for an efficient and light on the system browser, excluding opera, google chrome and FF?

Original post WAS about Chrome, but user was asking about alternative to chrome.

A browser that would be more efficient on system resource usage.

In other words, he tried Opera, Google Chrome, & Firefox.

All of those were found to be too large, so he mentioned excluding those.

Which I did! K-Meleon is supposed to be lighter than Firefox, & while it is based on Firefox rendering engine, I believe it qualifies as an alternative, since user mentioned the reason he doesn't use the others is because of the ginormous size.

Edit: Firefox supports IEtab plugin, which also allows IE sites, so I am not sure if K-Meleon also supports it, but could be worth a try.

Edit: Firefox supports IEtab plugin, which also allows IE sites, so I am not sure if K-Meleon also supports it, but could be worth a try.

Is this a benefit or a hazard ?

I understood some years ago that IETab was not a safe imitation of IE, but a "backdoor" that allowed Trident (the core of I.E.) to deliver Active 'X within Firefox.

I immediately removed it and do not look back.

• Moderators

I understood some years ago that IETab was not a safe imitation of IE, but a "backdoor" that allowed Trident (the core of I.E.) to deliver Active 'X within Firefox.

I also removed it after that info was published.

Is this a benefit or a hazard ?

I do not use Internet Explorer.

But for those that do, I would assume that, if they absolutely have to use Internet Explorer, that it is safer to do so from within Firefox, than it is in Internet Explorer itself.

That said, the IE Tab plugin should not be activated by default, lest you change the rendering engine via a click in the status tray.

Clicking the Firefox icon reloads the page using IE renderer & vice versa.

I am well aware of the Active-X exploits of IE, which is why I never use it, but some people have a work related site that fails to load certain things in it because their company forbids any & all browsers except IE. I have a friend who has a company log-in that rejects all browsers that are NOT IE.

Sad, but true. And I would presume that the active-X portion of the browser is never loaded, so long as you are using the firefox renderer engine.

Since it is so easy to toggle between the two, I see no danger. I believe the active-X portion is only loaded when you click to load the webpage using IE renderer, & NOT while it is using firefox.

That also said, I do not use IETab personally, but there are those who may benefit. IETab was merely mentioned because of Eli's reference to the fact that he used a browser with a renderer tailered for IE sites that require IE.

Or just use IE9 and enable ActiveX filtering to disable everything but the ones you really need, and then enable others on a case-per-case basis. Just like you would do with NoScript.

By the way, the "ActiveX exploits" are the same as the NPAPI ones, unlike what many free software fanboys want you to believe IE hasn't got any super-critical unpatched vulnerabilities...

Piriform French translator

Or just use IE9 and enable ActiveX filtering to disable everything but the ones you really need, and then enable others on a case-per-case basis. Just like you would do with NoScript.

By the way, the "ActiveX exploits" are the same as the NPAPI ones, unlike what many free software fanboys want you to believe IE hasn't got any super-critical unpatched vulnerabilities...

Not to crush your bubble, but a lot of people do not know about active X filtering.

Additionally, you HAVE to have Active-X on IE to play Facebook Farmville. (At least you did last time I tried it!)

I know, cause I had someone call & get me to re-enable active-X after I disabled it for her safety because of malware she had contracted earlier.

So, I disabled it so that it would help harden her system from future attacks.

Guess what she told me? That's RIGHT! She said "Please enable Active X. I don't care if I get anything, I will take the blame! I just want to play farmville!"

So, I enabled it for her...

Good news! In Firefox, you don't NEED active X to play farmville.

Not saying Firefox is perfect, but I will tell you that on the systems that have deployed Firefox, as opposed to IE, I have seen a relative drop in malware attacks of around 90%, possibly more. I know that I used to get tons of malware calls, & they dropped dramatically when I got them to switch.

That said, while I do believe browsers have vulnerabilities, I do NOT believe they are as severe as IE, else the proof would be in the pudding, and since Firefox is in even greater use base than IE in recent years in a lot of places, if Firefox were NOT more secure than IE, you should see a relative explosion of malware. Since this does not happen, I can safely assume that IE is fraut with danger, & Firefox is the shining savior.

Not that it's perfect, cause nothing is, I suppose. But it has just plain out PROVEN that it is more hardened to attack, much as a tank is harder to destroy in battle than a lone foot soldier.

* On older OS's like XP, it is much easier to update to the latest Chrome, Opera, or Firefox than IE. IE on XP is only supported through version 8, although I have somewhere, a pre-release of IE version 9 that DOES work for XP, back before they lied about it & said they cannot make it work on XP. (They can, they just want you to buy 7). Not being able to update IE is not only dangerous, it means your system is much more exploitable because the bugs in IE 8 are very old, giving attackers much more time to craft their attack.

You can also use IE 9 on Vista, but it is a little harder to setup than on 7.

Firefox/Opera/Chrome are easier to use on facebook, along with adblock etc, than to use IE (which does NOT have any blocking mechanisms for this), than to use IE and have to fiddle with ActiveX plugin filtering. Besides, what happens if you FORGET to disable it, BLOOM! Instant drive by malware, anyone? Oops, Opera doesn't have adblock, sorry! Just another reason I don't use it. Although I would choose it over IE, but anyway, back to the story here.

Thought I would post a few warnings for those who believe IE 9 is the end all of security, because it's not. I know, because I use it on my 7. It is a lot better than 8, but still doesn't match other browsers for their security on the web. And that's a proven fact. Most users cannot/don't know/will not mess with default browser settings, so Firefox is much more secure than IE by "default" and that's just another fact!

• Moderators

Super Fast please try to remember that you are just posting your own opinions on browser security. Following statements with .... ''it's a known fact'' is just your opinion and nothing else.

Stating things like IE9 is not as secure as other browsers is pointless. We can find any number of websites showing statistics to prove or disprove browser facts (no, we don't want to see these web statistic sites anyone)

Most times a good enjoyable browsing experience can be achieved using any browser when coupled with a solid defense and common sense.

All browsers have bugs and loopholes, and most browsers do bug fixes and updates.

Firefox is no doubt a good browser, but not to the extent that it has to be promoted by you to users as the most secure browser on the planet.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I do not use Internet Explorer.

I am well aware of the Active-X exploits of IE, which is why I never use it

Additionally, you HAVE to have Active-X on IE to play Facebook Farmville. (At least you did last time I tried it!)

Thought I would post a few warnings for those who believe IE 9 is the end all of security, because it's not. I know, because I use it on my 7. It is a lot better than 8, ...

Super Fast, you really gotta try decaf. ... :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Most times a good enjoyable browsing experience can be achieved using any browser when coupled with a solid defense and common sense.

All browsers have bugs and loopholes, and most browsers do bug fixes and updates.

Firefox is no doubt a good browser, but not to the extent that it has to be promoted by you to users as the most secure browser on the planet.

While true, I am referring to the out of the box settings. Most users will not manually adjust IE security to max, nor adjust manually their Active X settings. Internet Explorer has always been plagued by problems because Active X allows things to automatically run, just by visiting a webpage. This will never go away till it is either disabled or removed by default from IE. While I am aware that there is whitelisting for IE Active X controls, & they are said to be better in 9, I am also aware that not too long ago back, a Chinese researcher for McAfee discovered that a user could visit a specially crafted XML page that would cause IE (all versions) to whitelist older known bad controls, that would then allow an attacker to run anything they wished on the computer.

Active X has never been safe, & it never will be. Anytime you have a browser that allows you to run anything you want, with no questions asked, it is never safe. Now, that said, sure, you can manually turn it off, or manually increase security settings, but my personal experience has been, that although you might adjust these, Hazel, & although others like me, or others that do know about it may take such measures, the overwhelming majority of users will not.

All browsers do have bugs, & they do have bug fixes, but I am not aware of then having bugs as severe as Active X, where just by visiting a webpage, you can become infected. I have seen IE on computers become infected countless times, just because a user visited a certain website. Sometimes in facebook, sometimes in myspace, sometimes in other websites. The default settings for IE have active X enabled, and it is just not safe! Maybe you have never been adventurous on the web, but I know a lot of people who are. I noted earlier, that you were kinda appalled by the fact that I had so many tabs open on a web browser before, but its not really that unusual for me to open 50, or even 300 tabs in 1 session. A lot of people do that, Hazel. Not just me. And besides this, I have tested IE 8, I have not had time yet to test IE 9, although IE 9 does seem a lot faster & more stable than IE 8, but I know personally that IE 8 crashes a lot. You try opening 20 websites in IE 8, & it will crash a lot of the times before it even gets to 20. Then, when you try to reload the browser, it crashes on tab recovery. I am not saying the things I say because I have not tested things, Hazel. I am saying them because I have. I speak from personal experience. I know which browsers are more stable. I know which ones crash less, & which ones have a higher infection rate.

I have had to service a lot of computer for people, & I know 100% for a fact, that the people who use Firefox are a lot happier, & a suffer a lot fewer infections, because I used to get malware calls all the time when users used IE. Now, I know that Opera is ok as a browser, & I know Chrome is as well. But both Opera & Chrome do not have a limitation on a minimum tab size. If ever you go over 50 tabs, you will see what I mean. Needle thin tabs you cannot click. Opera doesn't even include an ad block plugin.

I know that you use & love Opera, Hazel, I just cannot recommend it, because while it is fast, I have problems with certain webpages not loading properly, plus the tabs shrink to nothing, plus you don't have right click + t for new tabs like in firefox, + you cannot highlight (unless they recently changed this) a text hyperlink & open it in a new tab. Firefox just works for the way that I use it, and for the way lots of other people use it. If there were higher rates of infections after switching to Firefox, I would get more calls, not less. But this does not happen. I get less. Far less. And the fact is very provable. Open a lot of websites in IE 8. Then do the same in Firefox. IE 8 will always lose, because it just isn't as stable! You can use IE 8 ok on maybe 1 tab, or possibly 4 or 5. Anything much over that, & you crash it. Try going to 20, 25, whatever. Internet Explorer WILL crash! I know for a fact that I have had 1,611 tabs open in Firefox with no crash. Sure, my PC slowed down as it was running out of memory at the time, but I know Internet Explorer never made it to 20 something on the sites I had loaded! You might make it to 20, maybe 30, possibly. But IE will crash. No doubt about it. You can personally verify this & know its a fact. Because I did, & thats how I know its a fact.

I know that different browsers do have bugs, Hazel. I just don't know of any right at the moment that are as severe as the holes in IE. Or that crash like IE. I am not playing favoritism, & I am not just slamming a browser. I know from testing & from personal experience with people I worked with, what happens. I am NOT gonna say that IE is just as safe (with active x on) or that IE is just as stable (when it crashes a lot more) than other browsers. I just am not. I am gonna tell the truth.

Now, that ALSO said, I am not saying that Firefox is the MOST secure browser on the planet. There are a number of things that can affect it, including the plugins that people install, & there are just so many browsers in existence, it would be quite impossible to test them all. But I do know that Firefox is stable, & if you don't ruin it with plugins, it can be pretty solid as a browser. I am sure Chrome is fast, almost as fast as Opera, in fact, only hundredths of thousandths of seconds away from being a tie with Opera. But recent versions may have made it faster. But the fact remains that both browsers do still shrink tabs to nothing so far as I am aware of, & Opera doesn't include an ad blocker.

I am not recommending, Hazel, Firefox only because of one reason. I use it & like it because it is overall, the best user experience. Now for users who do NOT open a lot of tabs, gee, guess any ole browser will do. And for those NOT concerned about malware, guess active-X is great in IE. But most users that start out on PC's are not aware of that, Hazel, so out of the box user experience is much easier to just install Firefox, and let them use that.

Besides the fact, I get tired of getting calls from IE users about IE crashed man, what do I do? I can't get it to respond, I had like, 13 tabs open, and it died. Now, when I tried to open it, it keeps crashed, it keeps trying to restore the old tabs, but it crashes on recovery... I also get tired of the malware, etc, etc, etc.

Long story short, I am very aware that your hooked on Opera, & I am very aware there are other browsers, but I am also aware that you don't open that many tabs on Opera at a time, so you do not know of & suffer from needle thin tabs, & I guess you like ads when you surf the web.

But others do surf a lot, & others do need to be able to open more tabs without crashing or them turning needle thin. And others do not like the ads that Opera will not block.

I respect your opinion, I really do, but facts are facts, & you cannot tell me IE is more stable than Firefox, because a quick test, right now, will prove it's not. Try it yourself if you do not believe me, then you can see.

Thank you!

• Moderators

Internet Explorer has always been plagued by problems because Active X allows things to automatically run, just by visiting a webpage. This will never go away till it is either disabled or removed by default from IE.

Starting in IE7 and forward it prompts about Active X Controls before allowing them to run -- even those from Microsoft.

Starting in IE7 and forward it prompts about Active X Controls before allowing them to run -- even those from Microsoft.

I am aware of this.

But it isn't perfect, and malware authors can use crafted XML pages to whitelist bad controls & cause known bad controls to allow malware to run again. As stated earlier. And these were findings from McAfee researchers. Additionally, this still does nothing to address the fact that IE is very limited in the number of websites it can have open at once without crashing. I have not had time to fully test IE 9 (also as stated earlier) although I know it is faster & more stable than prior versions.

Firefox does have adblock, what do IE or Opera have? Additionally, firefox has other features (as stated earlier) that I use a lot such as highlighting a textual hyperlink, right click, new tab. Also, opening links in IE or Opera, Firefox you can right click + t for new tab. This saves me a lot of time. Can you right click + t for new tab in IE?

Can IE load 1,611 websites without crashing?