R.I.P. Little Bird

Andavari

• Moderators

I went into my garage about 50 minutes ago to close the window because it's supposed to storm and rain this afternoon according to the weather forecast. As soon as I opened the door there sat on the ground a very small bird, and it didn't look well which I suppose was heat exhaustion, starvation - all that nasty fatal crap rolled into one.

I thought it would possibly just fly right out the door, but no because it had evidently been in that nearly 100 degree Fahrenheit garage for some time, and I haven't been in there for at least two days. It's the closest I've ever been to a living bird before.

So I went about putting down a small drinking bottle cap filled with cold water thinking the bird may drink it but no it didn't, so I changed to putting really small drops of water on its feet and it's back feathers which got an immediate response. Thinking I was doing good I went back into the house and called the only local animal rescue place but of course the typical crap on weekends I instead got "our business hours are Monday through Friday from blah, blah, blah time to blah blah blah time" so I thought oh great I don't know how to save a bird in such a bad condition.

So I went back to the garage and opened the big door to get air into it and let as much heat out of it as possible, and I placed a box fan pointing at the bird thinking maybe it could cool it off a bit and also if it feels some wind on its wings it may be encouraged to fly. But of course that didn't happen instead I watched it roll around a bit and end up on its back then the tail feathers did this upward motion and the bird died. I wish I had gone in the garage yesterday, I'm thinking maybe it could've survived but I'll never know.

Now remember, I'm the kind of guy who sorta cries if I witness a house fly dying. Yeah. Um, that's how I roll.

My parents passed away years ago, not a tear from me, but that's more of a religious thing with me. But still, I dunno, transference maybe? :blink:

• Moderators

So where did you bury it?

I didn't bury it, I put it in the lawn just outside the garage. I never touched it since you never know what you can catch disease-wise from birds, that and I don't know if it was sick or not from something.

Now remember, I'm the kind of guy who sorta cries if I witness a house fly dying.

House fly, really? :huh:

Andavari I totally get your concern and feelings regarding finding a young bird and not knowing what to do for the best.Last month I came down the stairs to find a very young bird sitting in the hall looking absolutlely scared out of its mind..and a cat looking at me with eyes saying "look what i brought you " The poor bird must have been round the living room a few times as there were little feathers everywhere.We got the bird outside on the decking but it didn`t move just stared and couldn`t move it was so traumertised.I went out to see it about halkf and our later and it shuffled off the decking and disapeared in the undergrowth as i never found any little bird body since then in that area I can only hope it recovered enough to get away,

I have a similar story, but my 4 birds just fell out of the nest with the nest and had no feathers. I boxed them, took them home and called a local Nature Center. Of course they did not want them and told us to feed it the hamburger type dog food and give them water using an eye dropper. 2 of them died several days later as feathers were coming in. 2 weeks later one more died and it had full feathers. My daughter, who was very young, was in tears. So we buried it in the back yard. The other was very strong. We began letting it out of a cage we got and put it back in at night. One time we felt it could fly away and tried letting it go. It flew but we wanted it stronger so we got it back and put it in the cage. Once it was strong enough to fly, we let it go and it would come back to its feeding ground...us. When I called it, it landed on my arm and we fed it; when my wife called it, it landed on her head where we would pick it up and feed it. One time when we woke up and went outside to call it, it did not come back. SO we thought the best and it flew away. We continually called it and one day it was on our garage waiting for us....but this time it was calling us. When we opened out door, it flew on my arm where we fed it. It stayed with us for a few minutes and then flew on to the garage. It looked at us, gave out a few chirps and few away. We knew what happened....it came back to tell us thank you and it has to leave us. Till this day we wonder where it went and how long it survived. It was truly one memorable summer for our kids and will never forget it.

25qd6wl.jpg

I have a similar story, but my 4 birds just fell out of the nest with the nest and had no feathers. I boxed them, took them home and called a local Nature Center. Of course they did not want them and told us to feed it the hamburger type dog food and give them water using an eye dropper. 2 of them died several days later as feathers were coming in. 2 weeks later one more died and it had full feathers. My daughter, who was very young, was in tears. So we buried it in the back yard. The other was very strong. We began letting it out of a cage we got and put it back in at night. One time we felt it could fly away and tried letting it go. It flew but we wanted it stronger so we got it back and put it in the cage. Once it was strong enough to fly, we let it go and it would come back to its feeding ground...us. When I called it, it landed on my arm and we fed it; when my wife called it, it landed on her head where we would pick it up and feed it. One time when we woke up and went outside to call it, it did not come back. SO we thought the best and it flew away. We continually called it and one day it was on our garage waiting for us....but this time it was calling us. When we opened out door, it flew on my arm where we fed it. It stayed with us for a few minutes and then flew on to the garage. It looked at us, gave out a few chirps and few away. We knew what happened....it came back to tell us thank you and it has to leave us. Till this day we wonder where it went and how long it survived. It was truly one memorable summer for our kids and will never forget it.

(the Piriform gang)

iseverybodyhappy.png

Now look what you've done.

Hi Andavari,

Haven't talked with you since it was snowing. Just took a little break from some paperwork and decided to prowl around a little on the Forum for relaxation. I ran across your post and it brought back memories of how the Mrs. and I found a little bird while out and about.

We also put it in the shade as it probably was suffering the same. We into a nearby store and an employee brought out some water and bread crumbs. After a bit it got to feeling better and flew off.

I have only one thing to say. Anyone with a heart like yours is in our hearts as we're card-carrying animals lovers. You walk with God.

Warlock

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain. (Emily Dickinson-1830-1886)

... It was truly one memorable summer for our kids and will never forget it.

Nice one, Tr3bg0D. If one out of four survived without their mother, you guys did great. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Oh, I did read it! I just thought it sounded appropriate to give the bird a final resting place.

After all, it was so heroic sounding, the effort you spent to save it's life.

I just thought that would be the icing on the cake!

icing on the cake! :o

We are talking dead birds here.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Dude you're so effing annoying, there I said it.

Cremating a bird:

I'm not making a damned chicken sandwich out of it.

Doing some hocky pocky s**t around a barn:

Yeah I'm in Iowa "cornville and farms to some uneducated people" but I live in a city.

Nuff said.