help needed

oh boy

In Hiren's Mini XP are you able to access "C:\System Volume Information" and a folder _restore(random charters)\rp(some numbers)\SNAPSHOT ?? (fyi they contain system restore registry snapshot files)

Richard S.

i'll try that as well

Richard, fwiw there is an option at boot up to 'Fix "NTLDR is missing"'. If you click windows key + e it opens windows explorer in mini xp, so I'm going to look for system restore right now. Yes system restore is visible here.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

In Hiren's Mini XP are you able to access "C:\System Volume Information" and a folder _restore(random charters)\rp(some numbers)\SNAPSHOT ?? (fyi they contain system restore registry snapshot files)

Richard S.

yes, i can acces that folder - you want a screenshot?

also availabble (here) is c\windows\system32\rstrui.exe but not sure if it will run.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

STOP: 0x0000006F (0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Session3_Initialization_Failed

This is a very bad STOP code it would seem to indicate that certain files needed to start OS are badly corrupted unfortunately chkdsk.exe, fixboot, fixmbr won't resolve this problem.

My suggestion would be to try and overwrite the system32 folder with dllcache backup files and see if that works.

Start, Run cmd.exe

c:

cd windows\system32\dllcache

copy *.* ..

Richard S.

• Moderators

I gathered from your earlier posts that Safe Mode wasn't an option, which is why I jumped in with the "Rescue CD" option and not a suggestion to run System Restore from Safe Mode.

The rescue CD, which attaches itself to the Windows installation, will run "System Restore" for you via a very simple Wizard. You will get the same user interface which you would see if running "System Restore" normally from a working Windows Installation.

I think now might be the time to give it a go.

When you boot the computer with it, there will be a progress bar running along the bottom of the monitor screen as it loads into memory, and then you should get the sequence of screens I showed you in screenshots.

There's no cast iron guarantee that it will work, but there isn't an easier way to run System Restore on your parents computer.

The menu also has an option to scan all important system files on that computer, and replace any corrupted ones it finds. Again, all from a very easy to follow wizard.

I would suggest first running System Restore, but not the latest listed restore point, go back a couple.

If it fails, try the System Files scan and repair.

Richard, I somehow rebooted into the recovery console here a couple of minutes ago, from the boot menu of Hiren's. Going to see if I can do it again, on purpose :-), and will post back how.

here's how: at bootup, use the arrow keys to scroll down to the word more. That gets another screen. Do that again to go to the third screen. At or near the top of the third screen there is an option to "Boot NTLDR from the hard drive". That option put me into the recovery console.

The reason for your boot problem appears to be corrupted files inside system32 the dllcache folder contains backup copies which Windows normally replaces if it detects a problem.

If you copy all files from ddlcache into your system32 folder there's a very slim chance that the corrupted files could be replaced with good ones.

Unfortunately ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe are not included since a kernel cannot overwrite itself while loaded :lol:

Do you know which XP service pack this machine had installed??

Richard S.

The reason for your boot problem appears to be corrupted files inside system32 the dllcache folder contains backup copies which Windows normally replaces if it detects a problem.

If you copy all files from ddlcache into your system32 folder there's a very slim chance that the corrupted files could be replaced with good ones.

Unfortunately ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe are not included since a kernel cannot overwrite itself while loaded :lol:

Do you know what service pack XP was running at the time??

Richard S.

ah, no i don't know which SP was running.

concerning the copying... i'm afraid i need some more specific instruction on how to copy these files - i'm not nearly as experienced and knowledgeable as you guys

• Moderators

It's entirely up to you oh boy, but I would.

It's a very good program, which I don't think the other guys have seen and therefore not tried. I have, as have members in the past who have fixed non booting Operating Systems by running it.

I can only repeat, it runs System Restore as easy as if you were doing it with your parents computer working normally, and it scans all important system files and replaces corrupt ones. All via a very user friendly wizard.

It can replace them as Windows won't be loaded, just the rescue CD loaded into memory.

It's entirely up to you oh boy, but I would.

It's a very good program, which I don't think the other guys have seen and therefore not tried. I have, as have members in the past who have fixed non booting Operating Systems by running it.

I can only repeat, it runs System Restore as easy as if you were doing it with your parents computer working normally, and it scans all important system files and replaces corrupt ones. All via a very user friendly wizard.

It can replace them as Windows won't be loaded, just the rescue CD loaded into memory.

alright, i'll do this.

enter the following from the DOS Prompt (cmd.exe)

c:

cd\windows\system32\dllcache

If successful your screen prompt should be C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache>

the next command is (please take note of the spaces and dots)

copy *.* ..

exit

*.* refers to all files, the .. refers to previous directory which in this case is system32

Richard S.

I'm gonna step out of the way for a bit, as the calvary is here. :-)

Too many helpers makes it too easy to overlook a post.

The copying idea should be worth a shot. Mini xp runs in ram, and I know that you can save a file to my documents or a usb drive, I did it.

So is the kernel not loaded?

Just want to repeat, there is an option in Hirens Boot menu to

1. to "Fix 'NTLDR is missing'" and

2. to "Boot NTLDR from the hard drive" (that put me into the recovery console)

Hirens also has some memory checker utils and some MBR fixers, which I will list if you guys want me to.

enter the following from the DOS Prompt (cmd.exe)

c:

cd\windows\system32\dllcache

If successful your screen prompt should be C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache>

the next command is (please take note of the spaces and dots)

copy *.* ..

exit

*.* refers to all files, the .. refers to previous directory which in this case is system32

Richard S.

apologies for the interruption.

if you're still there - i have entered these commands, confirmed with "All" and it now says it has copied 101 files.

What shall i do next? exit and restart?

... oh well maybe it's better to continue tomorrow... ?!

Try what you said. Take the cd out & try to reboot. If it won't put the cd back in & go to mini xp.

that didn't work. same as always.

btw, i saved screenshots of the copied files if that's important. it seemed to have stopped somewhere in the middle, then it said "Access denied" and then "101 files copied".

So is the kernel not loaded?

Just want to repeat, there is an option in Hirens Boot menu to

1. to "Fix 'NTLDR is missing'" and

2. to "Boot NTLDR from the hard drive" (that put me into the recovery console)

quite frankly you had me confused with this post and i wasn't really sure if you were talking to me or to Richard/Redhawk.

Kernel? NTLDR? that's already over MY head :)

quite frankly you had me confused with this post and i wasn't really sure if you were talking to me or to Richard/Redhawk.

Kernel? NTLDR? that's already over MY head :)

That was a reminder to redhawk that those options are available on Hiren's. Several posts got put up and he might have missed it. As far as the kernel, I am not sure whether the windows kernel is loaded when you are in mini xp or not, because mini xp runs in RAM.

I'm not going to recommend anything drastic here. Go to that tools icon in the corner, and try to run "Hard Disk/Storage" then HDTune. If it runs, click on the "health" tab and see if everything says OK, Then click on the "Error Scan" tab and check the "Quick Scan" box and run it. All the squares should be green when its done.

Go to that tools icon in the corner, and try to run "Hard Disk/Storage" then HDTune. If it runs, click on the "health" tab and see if everything says OK, Then click on the "Error Scan" tab and check the "Quick Scan" box and run it. All the squares should be green when its done.

alright, i'll check that tomorrow (it's late already over here). thanks!!!

alright, i'll check that tomorrow (it's late already over here). thanks!!!

OK. Don't give up.

Dennis and Redhawk will be back and will have reread this by the time you get back.