help needed

oh boy

Hello,

this is really embarrassing... so, my parents own a PC with Windows XP. They don't really have a clue about computers and only use it to browse a little, email and stuff like that. if there is something to install or any problems at all, they call me (no expert either, but not a complete noob - usually). Now, a while ago i installed the CCleaner and run it a few times since then, just to clean the temp.files etc.

However, the last time i did that, i guess i had a blackout and decided to also set ALL existing autostart-entries to "No". I was actually surprised when the computer refused to reboot.

At first i thought it's no big deal and wanted to re-install Windows, but it turned out my parents don't have the CD anymore. Then i thought - alright, let's try Linux then (always wanted to do that anyway). Problem is - regardless of the distribution, it seems that i can not install anything on that damned computer anymore (or maybe i'm just too stupid). i'll just never get further then the BIOS - every OS begins to boot and then... nothing.

My question is now: how can i fix this? how do i get the machine to start up again? did i completely wreck it by changing all autostart-entries?

Any help would be appreciated.

Looking at CCleaner's "Startup" entries it doesn't appear to provide a complete list of auto start entries.

This is a good thing because if you disable stuff willy-nilly then you're unlikely to bring down the Operating System.

Because of this fact I'm not entirely convinced your booting problem has anything to do with disabled auto starts more like another problem.

Have you tried boot option (F8) Safe Mode or use "last known good configuration"??

What happens when you boot Windows exactly, i.e.

- My PC beeps 3 times and won't boot the hard drive

- Blank screen, I don't see the XP splash screen

- Windows stuck at the XP splash screen

- Windows loads and then I see a blue flash and it reboots

- Windows loads but stuck on the Blue Screen Of Death

- Windows logs me out every time I click on my login ID ??

Richard S.

Looking at CCleaner's "Startup" entries it doesn't appear to provide a complete list of auto start entries.

This is a good thing because if you disable stuff willy-nilly then you're unlikely to bring down the Operating System.

Because of this fact I'm not entirely convinced your booting problem has anything to do with disabled auto starts more like another problem.

Changing what turns on on startup through CCleaner only alters what starts when you log in to Windows, so it sounds like this was just a case of unfortunate timing.

Thanks for your quick replies!

i guess it is possible that it's just a coincidence, but there was no other problem on the pc (at least none that i noticed).

Have you tried boot option (F8) Safe Mode or use "last known good configuration"??

yes, i tried the safe mode, the "last known configuration",... i tried all available options, none worked.

What happens when you boot Windows exactly, i.e.

- My PC beeps 3 times and won't boot the hard drive

- Blank screen, I don't see the XP splash screen

- Windows stuck at the XP splash screen

- Windows loads and then I see a blue flash and it reboots

- Windows loads but stuck on the Blue Screen Of Death

- Windows logs me out every time I click on my login ID ??

Richard S.

When i try to boot Windows i get up to the regular XP start-screen with the running points/line (i guess that's what you mean with "splash"-screen)... this stays for maybe 10-20 seconds, and then the BIOS starts over and i'll get to the boot options again.

Redhawk knows much more about such issues than I, so I'll just throw in my two cents worth and step back out of the way. I would try to boot up a linux live cd. Can't tell from your explanation if that's what you did.

If the wxp computer will boot from a cd / dvd (most will), you could try Puppy Linux on a live cd and see if it will boot. I suggest Puppy simply because it is relatively small, simple, and runs in RAM, no HD needed.

If it does boot up, then that will help identify the problem.

Download the lupu-528.iso file from here: Latest Puppy.

Burn it to a cd, I use a little app called BurnCDCC? for that purpose, just cause it's quicker. BurnCDCC is HERE

Start the computer with the newly created Puppy cd in the drive and see if it boots.

If it does, don't get carried away and start changing things on the hard drive. :D Linux will allow you to make serious mistakes, as it doesn't suffer (benefit?) from the same restrictions as windows.

Post back what happens. Some of the members who actually know what they are talking about :P will help further.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Redhawk knows much more about such issues than I, so I'll just throw in my two cents worth and step back out of the way. I would try to boot up a linux live cd. Can't tell from your explanation if that's what you did.

If the wxp computer will boot from a cd / dvd (most will), you could try Puppy Linux on a live cd and see if it will boot. I suggest Puppy simply because it is relatively small, simple, and runs in RAM, no HD needed.

Burn it to a cd, I use a little app called BurnCDCC? for that purpose, just cause it's quicker. BurnCDCC is HERE

Start the computer with the newly created Puppy cd in the drive and see if it boots.

If it does, don't get carried away and start changing things on the hard drive. :D Linux will allow you to make serious mistakes, as it doesn't suffer (benefit?) from the same restrictions as windows.

Post back what happens. Some of the members who actually know what they are talking about :P will help further.

so far i tried to install the latest Ubunto, Linux Mint and Fedora distributions, tried it both from CD and USB-stick. i always got to the point where i saw the first install-screen, but after a few minutes the monitor went black or froze and that was it.

i'll try the Puppy Linux as well, thanks for the links + advice!

Sounds like you're already pretty knowledgeable, so forgive me if i belabored the obvious.

For the Puppy distro, you aren't installing it, just running it from the cd.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Sounds like you're already pretty knowledgeable, so forgive me if i belabored the obvious.

For the Puppy distro, you aren't installing it, just running it from the cd.

no no, i'm sincerely grateful for all the help + advise i can get.

like i said - i "tried" to install these distributions, and since nothing works i'm afraid that my knowledge is rather neglectable...

But again - it might indeed be a hardware issue, the computer is... hmm 5-7 years old i guess, and it wasn't too expensive.

Well, it does sound "hardwareish". If your BIOS will look to the CD at startup, Puppy might just start and run. There are users who run it with no hard drive installed at all.

If it does, then that will help Andavari and Redhawk figure out whats up.

Puppy scares you when it starts, all those little dots and black letters running across the screen, you wonder what it's doing to the real operating system. But no harm will come from that, only if you tinker with the windows OS using Puppy. I learned that the hard way, messed up some important system files.

Dude, it works!!! That was a great tipp, thanks a lot!

I'm running Puppy Linux from a USB stick and have access to the hard drive. This solution is already good enough for me and we'll have all the files available again. But i know that my parents will be asking for their beloved Windows XP...

so, this might be a dummy-question, but would it make sense to install CCleaner again (under Linux) and re-change the Autostart-settings and then Windows will work again? Actually... this already sounds as if it's a stupid idea... is it?

so, this might be a dummy-question, but would it make sense to install CCleaner again (under Linux) and re-change the Autostart-settings and then Windows will work again? Actually... this already sounds as if it's a stupid idea... is it?

alright, there is no CCleaner for Linux - i had a feeling it was a stupid question...

any suggestions on the XP-issue?

Again, i'm already pretty happy that the pc is running again, so if there's no solution, then my parents just have to get used to Linux :)

Good news. Glad that worked. :D

Better news is that you can probably get on the 'net with it. That is easiest if the xp computer is wired, just hook to the network Puppy finds, probably called "eth0". But is also possible with wireless, just a couple more steps to get it going ... it will probably be called "wlan0" and you have to know how the wireless is configured (WAP or WEP, access key).

No, no CCleaner for puppy, won't work. Also, be careful when you save files...don't "Move" them using Puppy, either "Save" or "copy" them, I forget which.

You can copy anything you want off onto a USB stick or drive using Puppy if it has enough capacity. The biggest benefit of using Puppy on a live CD is that you can take the CD out and put in another if you want, and you still have all your USB ports available to copy to. Not an issue if you still have one you can use.

Now we are sadly at the end of my expertise. There are many members and moderators on this forum who can help you use an emergency boot CD to repair the system, but I have never done that, so will not attempt to now. Afraid to wreck something. Easy to wreck something, since windows access restrictions are not working.

But it sounds like the problem is as Andavari said, hardware, maybe ?? the hard drive. Maybe he or Redhawk will know just what to do using a boot CD. By the way, do you have one already?

If not, one that is generally well reported is Hiren's, but you should wait, there may be others that are more efficient. Hiren's is a big download 523 mb. Its HERE

Good news. Glad that worked. :D

Better news is that you can probably get on the 'net with it. That is easiest if the xp computer is wired, just hook to the network Puppy finds, probably called "eth0". But is also possible with wireless, just a couple more steps to get it going ... it will probably be called "wlan0" and you have to know how the wireless is configured (WAP or WEP, access key).

No, no CCleaner for puppy, won't work. Also, be careful when you save files...don't "Move" them using Puppy, either "Save" or "copy" them, I forget which.

You can copy anything you want off onto a USB stick or drive using Puppy if it has enough capacity. The biggest benefit of using Puppy on a live CD is that you can take the CD out and put in another if you want, and you still have all your USB ports available to copy to. Not an issue if you still have one you can use.

Now we are sadly at the end of my expertise. There are many members and moderators on this forum who can help you use an emergency boot CD to repair the system, but I have never done that, so will not attempt to now. Afraid to wreck something. Easy to wreck something, since windows access restrictions are not working.

But it sounds like the problem is as Andavari said, hardware, maybe ?? the hard drive. Maybe he or Redhawk will know just what to do using a boot CD. By the way, do you have one already?

If not, one that is generally well reported is Hiren's, but you should wait, there may be others that are more efficient. Hiren's is a big download 523 mb. Its HERE

okay, cool. right now i gtg, but i'll check back tomorrow and i'll have the boot cd ready. i'll be careful with puppy and not change anything in the system except for maybe copy a few files to the usb-sticks (there's 3 ports, so no problems).

Thanks again!

alright, there is no CCleaner for Linux - i had a feeling it was a stupid question...

any suggestions on the XP-issue?

Again, i'm already pretty happy that the pc is running again, so if there's no solution, then my parents just have to get used to Linux :)

Not a stupid question at all, how can you know if you don't ask?

Now, I don't know how to do it, but would be willing to bet that it is possible to get windows going again. It might require purchasing some hardware, for example if it turns out that the hard drive has failed. You would have to get a new one and transfer the OS to it, might have to reactivate it.

I am going to wait for other, more experienced members to ring in. There are folks here who have already done this, and it would be better to follow their advice than for you and I to flounder around and try things, maybe gum it up permanently. :)

But just for my curiosity, can you get puppy on to the 'net? If you do, that little firewall in the lower right corner is easy to configure, just use the default option.

There is BleachBit which is kind of like CCleaner for Linux. It even supports Winapp2.ini!

Looks like a kaput HD, if so, he probably needs to "migrate" to a new one. I don't think that erasing things is in order just yet, you know?

And for all I know, Redhawk will ring in and suggest chkdisk and that will fix the whole thing in one swoop. :lol:

I just don't know enough about it to go any further.

Your very first post is very scary.

You have attempted various distributions of Linux before you came here.

A Linux Live CD was suggested at post #5.

What have you been using ?

A Linux Live CD can be used without needlessly damaging Windows.

A Linux Installation DVD could destroy Windows beyond hope of repair.

I have no experience of Linux but I think Bleachbit for Linux could be the worst possible idea if you have any hope for a Windows repair

I doubt that it will give any benefit to a Linux Live CD.

Your very first post is very scary.

You have attempted various distributions of Linux before you came here.

A Linux Live CD was suggested at post #5.

What have you been using ?

A Linux Live CD can be used without needlessly damaging Windows.

A Linux Installation DVD could destroy Windows beyond hope of repair.

I have no experience of Linux but I think Bleachbit for Linux could be the worst possible idea if you have any hope for a Windows repair

I doubt that it will give any benefit to a Linux Live CD.

yes, like i said - my parents don't seem to have the original Windows CD anymore, so before i came here i tried to install Linux Mint 11 and 10, the latest Ubuntu, the latest Fedora. Some from CD, some from USB or both. You know, just to be able to get the machine working again, if it runs on Windows or anything else is not really of major importance. But nothing worked, i never got any further then an initial installing screen and then it went black or froze.

That's why i thought that all these switched-off autostart entries prevent the computer from booting anything at all.

I tried to find something on the web about it as well... thought that maybe there is a possibility to switch some autostart-things back on in the BIOS. But to be honest that already goes beyond my usual IT-capability, so i came here.

The Puppy Linux that login123 suggested at post #5 works fine. This i have started from a USB flash-drive without installing it on the computers hard-drive. I now have access to the hard-drive and am able to open and copy files from there. Which is already more than i initially hoped for, i thought it'd all be lost.

I am also able to get online with that computer now, no problem at all (only the browser included in the puppy linux is not the most advanced).

I haven't done anything beyond that - no further installations or anything. Just downloaded the Hirens CD (as suggested in post #13), but am waiting for further instructions.

I would guess that a Linux installation DVD might POSSIBLY abort if there is insufficient unallocated space for it to create its own partition,

in which case there is the possibility of a successful repair.

Other possibilities include the over-writing of at least part of the Windows system and documents.

Linux experts will be able to help you evaluate your situation.

I am not your guy for this.

I'm pretty sure that the ability to boot into Puppy means that 1) your BIOS is OK, 2) your motherboard is OK, and 3) your memory is (probably) OK. Guess that points toward the HD as the culprit.

If the only thing wrong with your old computer is the hard drive, one or the other of Hiren's utilities might restore the OS to another hard drive.

The utilities on Hiren's v-14.1 are listed HERE. BurnCDCC is included in the Hiren's zip package. Go ahead and burn Hiren's to a cd. Start BurnCDCC and navigate to the file called "Hiren's.BootCD.14.1.iso" w/out quotes. Read verify the burn.

Take a look at the list, especially "Mini Windows Xp". If you boot into Mini Windows XP, sucessfully, you can get back out of it without changing anything if need be.

I just burned it to a cd here, am going to sign off and restart with the Hirens cd. Not sure if that will work, will know in a few minutes. Be right back.

Edit: OK, that worked, am on here now using Opera browser included in Hiren's. I'm in way over my head, have never used these utilities. Wouldn't even try this except on my own equipment, but the way you describe your situation you have little to lose, soooo, am checking into the utilities now.

When you get Hiren's burned to a cd, and start the computer with it in the drive, boot into Mini Windows XP.

In Mini Windows XP:

Click on Start > Run and type cmd

At the prompt, type C:

... Assuming C: is where your operating system is

The prompt will change from X:\ ***something*** to C:\

Type chkdsk/r

If the HD is fixable that may do it. Wait a tiny bit before you do that, I want to check something.

Edit: I think it is OK, but checked with Nergal, if it is likely to blow up he will tell us.

I think it will work. Like I said, never done this this way before, but looks safe.

I ran chkdsk here without the fix switch, no harm done. Gonna log out now, go back to the real windows, see if anything still works. :lol:

Well, that worked, made it back here in the "real" windows.

I have to log out now, duty calls...ugh...but will check back later this pm. Would be really interested to know how it goes for you, oh boy.