ccleaner

joe1264

Hi, I am a newbie to this site, so be gentle.I had trouble updating my 3.08 to 3.09. It was just not finishing, so aborted several times.However, It had successfully downloaded and works fine, but for some reason has not registered in add/remove programs in control panel.revo-uninstaller also could not detect it. Any advice why would be appreciated.Also, and this is my main question. I now have several backup files from when I cleaned the registry.Is it safe to delete all but the latest, and whats the best and safest way to do it?

Hi, Joe1264.

That does seem to be a bug, been reported more than once. I can't duplicate it here, using wxp home.

What OS are you using?

The developers read all these posts, they'll see this.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Hi, Joe1264.

That does seem to be a bug, been reported more than once. I can't duplicate it here, using wxp home.

What OS are you using?

The developers read all these posts, they'll see this.

Hi, Thanks for reply.The only way I resloved the problem was to use a restore point before the download.The uninstaller download was also corrupted.Back to previous version.3.08.I am using vista premium, avast av, malwarebytes/spybots/d.I just allowed the cc to update itself to 3.09 , but what a performance to cure it, or, get rid of it.Others I have blogged have had no problems, so I thought it clashed with something on my pc, but, had no trouble doing the same thing before.I was tempted to try again today, but am dubiuos until I know it,s cured.Thought it may be best to uninstal 3.08 completely before trying 3.09, who,s to say 3.08 isn,t corrupted, and clahed with 3.09? As others have had the same problem , it signifies to me software problem clashing with certain other programs? I didn,t run as admin as it was just an update.Also didn,t when I tried again downloading direct from.piri and filehippo, same problem occurred.Can try again if you advise best way to do it;? I like everything up to date.

Also Joe did you install it to a user account or admin acount?

Hi, User account, mine as I am administrator, although I know that some it may have to be run as admin, had no reason to doso, the damage was done on the update.It obviously had installed because I was able to use it, but some files ,including uninstal mast have been missing.How it didn,t show in programs installed in control panel, and also not shown as on the pc with revo , has me puzzled; That,s pc,s though, wouldn,t do if it all went smooth would it.Thanks for reply

Joe, I don't know what to tell you. Ver. 309 installs fine here.

Until something changes, you could just run the portable version of 309 from here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds.

You can just extract it to a folder you create and run it, no need to uninstall 3.08 if it is working ok for you.

Be careful though, all the cleaner and registry cleaner options were already checked when I unzipped it here just now. You might want to evaluate those before using them.

Post back how it goes. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Joe, I don't know what to tell you. Ver. 309 installs fine here.

Until something changes, you could just run the portable version of 309 from here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds.

You can just extract it to a folder you create and run it, no need to uninstall 3.08 if it is working ok for you.

Be careful though, all the cleaner and registry cleaner options were already checked when I unzipped it here just now. You might want to evaluate those before using them.

Post back how it goes. :)

Hi,Login, Thanks for reply.Someone else advocated portable, something I,m not familiar with, presume it,s like a sandbox affair.Guess I wll wait aweek or two and retry downloading 3.09 again.I will post results back when I do so.Cheers and thanks for your help.I,ll consider portable if next attempt fails. :)

presume it,s like a sandbox affair.Guess I wll wait aweek or two and retry downloading 3.09 again.

No way is it a sandbox affair.

That would imply you could change you mind afterwards,

like the childhood prayer after breaking a window - "Please God make it didn't happen"

Portable means that it is NOT installed and does not utilise the registry.

I NEVER install software if there is a Portable version.

Portable software NEVER sticks to the system - you simply delete the single folder that holds it and it is ALL GONE,

then you can update/upgrade/replace and there are never any remnants stuck in the system to interfere.

If Installed CCleaner has got something stuck (typically due to Windows self-corrupting access permissions),

you may have difficulty updating with the installed version,

but the Portable version just needs its own folder and it will be happy.

To cover all bets, unzip it to a different folder or partition, or onto a flash drive.

Hi,Login, Thanks for reply. ...

I,ll consider portable if next attempt fails.

Fwiw, I just uninstalled ccleaner, made a folder called cc-309port and unzipped the portable into it.

Unchecked a few boxes then analyzed and "cleaned" some stuff.

Checked the registry before and after, no entries made except some mru entries.

So the portable version won't gum up your registry and it's easy to uninstall, just delete the folder.

Just saying, in case you really want to try ver 309.

Wait a bit if you like, because if I misstated something other members will correct me.

Seems like windows installations are like fingerprints, no two the same. :)

Fwiw, I just uninstalled ccleaner, made a folder called cc-309port and unzipped the portable into it.

Unchecked a few boxes then analyzed and "cleaned" some stuff.

Checked the registry before and after, no entries made except some mru entries.

So the portable version won't gum up your registry and it's easy to uninstall, just delete the folder.

Just saying, in case you really want to try ver 309.

Wait a bit if you like, because if I misstated something other members will correct me.

Seems like windows installations are like fingerprints, no two the same. :)

Hi, I have tried 3.09 again, Nogo, had to abort, resulting in another wind back to restore point with 3.08 on.Tried removing 3.08, nogo, same problem as 3.09, certain files missing, .So stuck with 3.08.+ now having AV trouble, windows Security centre not picking Avast/malwarebytes up. First time ever.Without restoring back to when I first put cc on , I,m stuck with 3.08. it,s even refusing to do restore points, had to abort several attempts.Either I have something on my pc ,or, cc has been corrupted all along.I,m going to do a Hijack this, see if anything can be found.

Even revo half way through uninstalling 3.08 said "running the application uninstaller failed.Possible invalid uninstal command" Rather in a quandry at present what to do, apart from complete complete OS re-instal, which will be last resort.Will keep trying, any more advice would be grateful.Cheers.Until I can remove 30.8, I,ll defer on portable, but thanks for reply, much appreciated

OK. Can't think what else to do, :( lots of clever members here, tho, maybe someone else can.

• Moderators

I think you could pop over to the Spyware Hell area of the forum and follow the instructions there... just in case

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120

I wouldn't bother with HiJackThis as most spyware mods don't ask for it now.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

You can unzip the portable to a different location and it should work regardless of any CCleaner installation in other places.

I use Comodo Internet Security and this takes great interest in what is being done and by whom and under what authority,

When I create or even edit a BAT script the next time I launch it Comodo will stop it and ask if it should allow :-

The initial launch;

The execution of DIR piped through the FIND command by this script (regardless of how many other scripts are told YES);

and I forget what else.

Subsequent launches it remembers and re-uses my answers automatically without query/answer delay.

Comodo sees everything CCleaner does and there is a STOP imposed whilst it checks whether CCleaner has been authorised to do these things.

I can disable Comodo (after disconnecting the Internet) and typically CCleaner will clean the system in half the time,

but this only saves 2 seconds, and it really ticks off my daughter if I forget to restore the Internet ! !

Is it possible that you have real-time protection which may have recently updated and is more aggressive against CCleaner and its actions?

Has Microsoft recently installed more security patch updates - always good for a hysterical laugh and convulsive weep ! !

Personally I prohibit Windows updates until I have a fresh back-up image of the system.

No way is it a sandbox affair.

That would imply you could change you mind afterwards,

like the childhood prayer after breaking a window - "Please God make it didn't happen"

Portable means that it is NOT installed and does not utilise the registry.

I NEVER install software if there is a Portable version.

Portable software NEVER sticks to the system - you simply delete the single folder that holds it and it is ALL GONE,

then you can update/upgrade/replace and there are never any remnants stuck in the system to interfere.

If Installed CCleaner has got something stuck (typically due to Windows self-corrupting access permissions),

you may have difficulty updating with the installed version,

but the Portable version just needs its own folder and it will be happy.

To cover all bets, unzip it to a different folder or partition, or onto a flash drive.

Thanks Alan, much appreciated.I will try the portable version and try on a flash stick.Not sure how to unzip a file though.BUt, I still cannot remove the existing 3.08 version on my system, and what about all my regisrty backup files I have saved.? If you would oblige me and talk me through , I would be most grateful.

If you double click on a *.ZIP file it should get unzipped automatically.

Exactly where is dependant upon whatever Vista defaults unless some utility has been installed and replaced the defaults.

Safest for you is to copy the downloaded *.ZIP to your Flash drive and then select the file.

Now right click for the context menu and if you can see Winzip that is what I have.

On my P.C. Winzip gives further sub-options in the context menu and I like "extract to here" which puts it in the same folder.

Do not worry about your EXISTING registry backups. CCleaner is never involved in restoring them,

regardless of whether you have a Good CCleaner, a Broken CCleaner, or no CCleaner at all.

If you need to restore just double click and Windows should do it automatically.

If Windows is a bit broken (e.g. File associations etc.) you can use RegEdit to merge/import.

Please worry about FUTURE registry backups - especially their reason - you are tampering with the computers nervous system.

Nergal has useful advice in his signature.

But if you wish to continue cleaning the registry,

then please note that when you "Fix Issues" and are asked about making a backup and you say YES - THEN FREEZE.

Do NOT just click SAVE but first look at where it is saving to and decide if you would prefer a different location,

e.g. where your existing backups are held.

Alan

Thanks Alan, much appreciated.I will try the portable version and try on a flash stick.Not sure how to unzip a file though.BUt, I still cannot remove the existing 3.08 version on my system, and what about all my regisrty backup files I have saved.? If you would oblige me and talk me through , I would be most grateful.

UPDATE; I have downloaded portable version, which included 64bit version, and opened file, and saved to desktop.There are 6 pieces of data/files.can run from desktop.No idea how to get to Flash or separate file.I,m afraid this probably is getting a bit too complicated for it,s own good.Unless I can use it simply, as before, then I don,t think it,s worth all the hassle of having it;All this just because piri told me a new version was available, and do I want it.Couldn,t believe such a small thing could be so complicated, a simple update.

You should not have SIX things on your desktop.

The download is a solitary file with the name "ccsetup309.zip"

The first thing to do is copy it to your Flash Stick.

Then you unzip it onto your Flash.

Below is exactly what I see when I perform DIR after copying to location E:\Unzip\CCleaner.

E:\Unzip\CCleaner>dir
Volume in drive E is E_GPT_E
Volume Serial Number is C044-40A5

Directory of E:\Unzip\CCleaner

10/08/2011  09:25    <DIR>          .
10/08/2011  09:25    <DIR>          ..
25/07/2011  13:59         2,585,408 CCleaner.exe
25/07/2011  13:59         4,389,696 CCleaner64.exe
10/08/2011  09:23         3,164,995 ccsetup309.zip
10/08/2011  09:25    <DIR>          lang
21/07/2010  09:42             5,788 License.txt
26/11/2009  14:02                10 portable.dat
              5 File(s)     10,145,897 bytes
              3 Dir(s)  271,994,052,608 bytes free

You can delete the "lang" directory if you do not need foreign languages.

License.txt is the legal agreement but has no cleaning function.

You only need "portable.dat" and one of the two *.exe files,

CCleaner.exe for a 32 bit machine

CCleaner64.exe for a 64 bit machine

Just double click the relevant *.EXE and it should run.

You should not have SIX things on your desktop.

The download is a solitary file with the name "ccsetup309.zip"

The first thing to do is copy it to your Flash Stick.

Then you unzip it onto your Flash.

Below is exactly what I see when I perform DIR after copying to location E:\Unzip\CCleaner.

E:\Unzip\CCleaner>dir
Volume in drive E is E_GPT_E
Volume Serial Number is C044-40A5

Directory of E:\Unzip\CCleaner

10/08/2011  09:25    <DIR>          .
10/08/2011  09:25    <DIR>          ..
25/07/2011  13:59         2,585,408 CCleaner.exe
25/07/2011  13:59         4,389,696 CCleaner64.exe
10/08/2011  09:23         3,164,995 ccsetup309.zip
10/08/2011  09:25    <DIR>          lang
21/07/2010  09:42             5,788 License.txt
26/11/2009  14:02                10 portable.dat
              5 File(s)     10,145,897 bytes
              3 Dir(s)  271,994,052,608 bytes free

You can delete the "lang" directory if you do not need foreign languages.

License.txt is the legal agreement but has no cleaning function.

You only need "portable.dat" and one of the two *.exe files,

CCleaner.exe for a 32 bit machine

CCleaner64.exe for a 64 bit machine

Just double click the relevant *.EXE and it should run.

Morning Alan, thanks for reply. What I have done is moved ALL 6 desktop icons to documents, and put them in a new folder cc3.09.deleted desktop icons, and ran 3.09 from new folder.ok. ran cleaner first, no problems, fixed All.Then ran registry cleaner, 7 items, fixed them all.Saved 7 items to new folder in documents.ok.I always fix ALL. Probably shouldn,t, but I rely on cc knowing it,s job.I certainly don,t know the items found.NOW. HOW do I get ?.08 off my pc. And what about old back ups, delete or save?? Is it OK to run from document file instead of flash??

The old registry backups MAY be worth keeping for a bit, but I doubt it.

If you understood which backup affected what application then a problem with that application could be cured by using the relevant backup.

e.g. If CCleaner Registry fixing had crippled version 3.08 so it could not be updated, restoring the backup would solve the problem ! !

In this particular instance I trust CCleaner to know itself and its needs well enough that it would not cripple itself,

but some odd-ball applications may make abnormal use of the registry which invites any registry cleaner to decide a key is redundant.

I suggest you leave 3.08 as is for now.

It is possible a future version may incorporate a feature to cleanly unhook the old 3.08 and replace it with the latest.

It is possible the Revo made a mistake,

especially if you have a 64 bit machine and used the Free RevoUninstaller which is good for 32 bits.

I believe you need the Pro version for 64 bit.

It is possible that you have bits of v3.08 still present in C:\Program Files\CCleaner\

and just deleting everything in there could cure the problem,

BUT

there may be hidden/system files that need extra effort before you can see them,

and you may need high powered tools to forcible evict them.

I cannot safely guide you on their use - it is too easy to break the computer.

Similarly a installed CCleaner registry key may be frozen solid due to anything (especially M.S. Security Patches),

and high powered registry tools can seek-n-destroy what you aim at,

but again I cannot safely guide you on their use,

in the hands of a novice it is like "Mutual Assured Destruction".

I will leave it for bolder spirits to advise you on what tools could be of use and how to use them.

Alan

The old registry backups MAY be worth keeping for a bit, but I doubt it.

If you understood which backup affected what application then a problem with that application could be cured by using the relevant backup.

e.g. If CCleaner Registry fixing had crippled version 3.08 so it could not be updated, restoring the backup would solve the problem ! !

In this particular instance I trust CCleaner to know itself and its needs well enough that it would not cripple itself,

but some odd-ball applications may make abnormal use of the registry which invites any registry cleaner to decide a key is redundant.

I suggest you leave 3.08 as is for now.

It is possible a future version may incorporate a feature to cleanly unhook the old 3.08 and replace it with the latest.

It is possible the Revo made a mistake,

especially if you have a 64 bit machine and used the Free RevoUninstaller which is good for 32 bits.

I believe you need the Pro version for 64 bit.

It is possible that you have bits of v3.08 still present in C:\Program Files\CCleaner\

and just deleting everything in there could cure the problem,

BUT

there may be hidden/system files that need extra effort before you can see them,

and you may need high powered tools to forcible evict them.

I cannot safely guide you on their use - it is too easy to break the computer.

Similarly a installed CCleaner registry key may be frozen solid due to anything (especially M.S. Security Patches),

and high powered registry tools can seek-n-destroy what you aim at,

but again I cannot safely guide you on their use,

in the hands of a novice it is like "Mutual Assured Destruction".

I will leave it for bolder spirits to advise you on what tools could be of use and how to use them.

Alan

Thanks Alan for all your help.I only have 32bit vista premium.Now I have 3.09 on portable, I will leave 3.08 on just in case I should need to redo backups taken on it. :)

• Moderators

If you have as you say 3.08 installed and also 3.09 as a portable (inside a folder)then we could try a couple of things.

If you can, can you move the portable folder to a usb stick/flash drive (everyone calls them something different!)so it's out of the way for now, you can always put it back later.

Then can you look inside the 3.08 program file folder and see if uninst.exe is listed there.

If you are able to open 3.08 make sure check for updates is unticked

Then can you download 3.08 again from here on the right where it says 'old versions' and save it to your desktop or downloads folder.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

Then double click on it to install it. It should overwrite the 3.08 version that is there and hopefully repair it so you can uninstall it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com