My computer says its connected to the internet but no internet access?

kel23

lol i forgot to click page 2 thats why i posted the same questions twice. OK i am running on windows XP professional service pack 3. The router make is a northstate, and model No: 6218-12-200-0NS. now what?

You are asking questions without showing us what we need to know. Post a screenshot, but make sure you can get to the internet first. We need to know what the IP Address and the Gateway Address are.

25qd6wl.jpg

Can I ask a dumb question? When you did a fresh install of XP, did you get the drivers for your stuff? XP doesn't have the abiity of Win7 to grab the stuff during install.

AJ

It sounds like he is not getting an IP Address...but we need him to get back to us.

..... Now when i try to connect to my wireless internet it says connected but i can't get on the internet? It used to say limited or no connectivity
25qd6wl.jpg

When i type in ipconfig /all, the IP address i get is 192.168.1.1 and the deafult is the same.

CTskifreak - Yes i had to download some drivers for the sound to work, and i downloaded something for the wireless thing but it was something different from what i already had, so i deleted it.

Yes its a router from northstate. Can i reset the router or something and set up my login for it?

Unless your router is running in some kind of weird mode your IP address shouldn't be the same as the gateway IP address. Please double check your IP config values again.

When I'm connected to my LINKSYS router via wired LAN I have the following IP configuration:

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-37-69-64-32

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100 <=== my IP address 192.168.1.100

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 <=== gateway IP 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100 <=== my ISP DNS server

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 14 August 2011 21:27:53

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 15 August 2011 21:27:53

If your gateway IP is 192.168.1.1 then open your web browser with http://192.168.1.1

When requested a username enter "Admin" (without double quotes) and password "Admin" (without double quotes). Please take note of the uppercase "A" because passwords are usually case sensitive.

If login fails try: admin and admin for username / password, if that fails then leave the username box empty and fill the password with Admin or admin.

If you suspect the default password has been changed on your router you may need to perform a hard reset. Look at the back or underneath for a small hole it maybe labelled reset or something. Use a small pencil or needle screw driver and poke the hole (while still switched on).

Richard S.

Can i reset the router or something and set up my login for it?

If you want to resolve this, you need to reply to what we are asking and try not to jump the gun. This should have been resolved already. You CANNOT have the same IP address as your Gateway. Look at Redhawks reply....and give us a screenshot so we can see or copy all the TXT and paste them into a reply.

25qd6wl.jpg

Ok this is what it says when i type ipconfig /all in command prompt:

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

DHCP Server. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

DNS Servers. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

lol sorry i prob didn't look good, but the IP and default are different.

Tr3bg0D - I was trying to fix it myself since i got the problem. I looked all over google and still nothing then i came here, and i only have 1 computer that i use now because both of the laptops cant get on the internet, and when i check back here there are no responses that's why i don't respond.

To login to your router use http://192.168.1.254 and use the password combinations I had mentioned above in this page.

Once you're inside look for wireless options and enable it as well as enabling WPA/WPA2 PSK encryption to prevent spying and unauthorised access.

This video might be of some help (note his gateway IP is 192.168.1.1 but your gateway is 192.168.1.254)

He also selected WEP encryption but you should use WPA pre-shared key instead for better protection.

Richard S.

Tr3bg0D - I was trying to fix it myself since i got the problem. I looked all over google and still nothing then i came here, and i only have 1 computer that i use now because both of the laptops cant get on the internet, and when i check back here there are no responses that's why i don't respond.

The problem could have been resolved by now if you stick to us and follow our steps. Your router is capable of handing out IP Addresses, but when you connect wirelessly you cannot get the proper address. You need to make sure the wireless portion is set up properly with WPA/WPA2 PSK encryption, I recommend WPA2, and the peroper key is entered. Remember this key as you will need to setup this same key on your laptop in order to connect and get an IP Address. If you get a message of Limited or No Connectivity, chances are you do not have the proper key matching in both the router and laptop.

25qd6wl.jpg

when i enter my default IP into the web browser and get the login i can't get on it. I tried all the username and passwords that redhawk gave but still nothing. But i didn't reset yet, does your ethernet cable need to be plugged into the laptop when you press reset or does it need to be unplugged? And when i reset do i try the same passwords again?

Is this the address you used? 192.168.1.254

Scratch that...you get to the login page so it's the correct address. If you reset and the router sets to default, you will have to also reboot the system to get the proper IP address. It may or maynot be the same. The address you are wanting to connect to is the Gateway address.

25qd6wl.jpg

I just now reset and got the same default IP address. And i tried to login again and it still doesn't work. Which light on the router has to be on so you know the wireless is working? these are the lights:

AP: ON

xDSL Link: ON

x DSL Act: OFF

Lan 1: ON

Lan 2: OFF

Lan 3: OFF

Lan 4: OFF

Power: ON

Those are all the lights on the router which one has to be on so you know the wireless is working?

And i have another problem, when i turn on my computer and come to the screen where all the users for the computer are and i click my name, the microsoft thing that says you have to validate your copy of windows or something, and i have to wait 5 seconds and then i click resolve later. How do i get rid of that? and when i get on the computer an icon where the time is says the same thing every 10 mins. What do i have to do to get rid of this?

You are relating 2 other things to your logon issue. If you reset the modem back to factory default, you should be able to login with the default settings. What redhawk suggested may or may not work, it all depends on the router. Do you have a manual? What does it say to use for default user/pass?

25qd6wl.jpg

Connected, but no internet access?

- XP SP3 blocks some older WiFi adapters from connection -> Update the driver, or get a new USB WiFi from Walmart.

- Internet Explorer 8 sometimes blocks internet for some people -> Tools/Internet Options/Connections/Lan Settings/Uncheck use proxy server.

- ISP servers down -> Check other WiFi devices in the house. See if they can connect (TV, laptop, PSP, etc). If no connection, call your ISP.

- Incorrectly configured WiFi -> Press & hold reset button on your WiFi router. Allow it to reset. After a minute or two, try to connect.

- You have rootkits/malware -> Clean install of Windows is probably fastest

- XP installs wrong WiFi driver -> Although not common, Windows sometimes installs the wrong driver. Update to the correct driver.

- You have cable, & not DSL internet -> Unplug Cable Modem for 1 min. Plug it back in, then after 1 min, plug in Router, then try to connect.

- Internet Security application blocks access -> Check your firewalls, & enable your browser to access the web if necessary.

- Dead/dying/misconfigured router -> Try a direct cable/dsl internet connection to be sure its working.

These are the main problems that people have when connecting to the web.

2 very common ones are that Internet Explorer settings get set to Proxy Server, & that SP3 blocks certain hardware from connecting.

Check the settings above & see what works for you.

Thanks!

I have another laptop and the wifi doesn't work on that either, but the wii connects to the internet. Why did my wireless icon next to the time disappear, that's what tells you if your connected to the internet or not? I'll try to download something from dell and see if it works.

After 3 pages I still am not convinced that there is reliable control via the ethernet to the router.

It looks like another 3 pages being added to this saga with a different laptop and possibly a different operating system.

If absolutely everything is the same with both computers then nothing new can be learnt from the addition of this new laptop.

If there is a difference then nothing that has been determined or deduced about the first can be depended upon for the second,

and all facts need re-establishing.

I suggest this other computer should have its own separate topic,

and should start with a summary of all answers requested for the first but adjusted to this second computer.

Ok i downloaded the Intel driver from dell, and when i finished installing it my other wireless icon popped up, but now i can't find my network. It shows networks in range that i can connect to but not mine. Do i have to setup my network again or call my internet provider? And my wifi light came on. The old wireless icon doesn't show any networks it says:

Windows cannot configure this wireless connection

If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software

If you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Windows Zero Configuration (WZC)Service. For information about starting the WZC Service, see article 871122 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on the microsoft.com website.

And my new wireless thing i downloaded from dell shows all the networks in range. How do i get the old one to work? And get my network back?

i can't find my network. It shows networks in range that i can connect to but not mine.

You haven't configured your router for wireless access yet why should it be working??

p.s. if you still cannot login to your router then please trash it and buy yourself a netgear or linksys wifi router.

Richard S.