Boot-time Defrag

JTD121

Hey all,

Been using Defraggler for...wow, about 4 years now....

Anyway, I ran Boot-time Defrag a couple times when it first was included. Now that option is greyed out. I am not sure what to do to enable this feature again. Do I need a certain amount of free space? Certain number of free, contiguous blocks? Is there an INI option that will overrride the menu option that I am not aware of? Haven't looked at the INI as yet, but will.

Also, is there a certain version I should uninstall and do a clean install from? Say, I have 2.0, and I want to (finally) upgrade to 2.0.6, would I need to uninstall and do a clean install, or is the upgrade just fine? Curious is all, since some freeware programs completely change numerous things that might require such steps at times.

-Josh

• Moderators

Do you have your options set to use ini? I believe that was the issue for many people who encountered the greyed out box who were not using portable defraggler

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Sorry for the late reply!

I am using Windows XP w/ SP3.

I do not remember if I am using the portable or normal installer version. Which version should I be using? When I update Defraggler on my laptop, I usually just use the portable one and overwrite the previous, then also update my USB stick for utilities.

And I did check; I do have it set to use INI, but that option is greyed out, as well. So I assume this is the portable version of the program. Will using the normal installer give me the option of Boot-Time Defrag, then?

As an aside, does anyone have any opinions on SysInternals PageDefrag? Better than Defraggler for the pagefile?

-Josh

The "portable.dat" file greys out the boot time defrag option. If you delete it you may be able to use the feature but I would just download the installer and untick everything except for Defraggler.