DOS Filenames?

Tom G

Just used Recuva 1.31.437 to recover 230 files immediately after I deleted them. (FYI: If you use Synkron to move files and the destination isn't valid, it will delete the whole smegging lot!).

So pleased I had recuva to hand (again) so first off thankyou!

I did however notice that about 2/3 of the recovered files are restored with their oldstyle DOS filenames (i.e. 8 characters max, all in capitals).

Is this known behaviour of Recuval, a bug or the way Synkron went about deleting the files?

More importantly for my purposes: Can anyone think of a way of getting the original names back? They are all video files and I would have to watch them to work out which episode!

Thanks,

Tom

FYI: If you use Synkron to move files and the destination isn't valid, it will delete the whole smegging lot!

"Oh the Humanity"

What a product feature ! !

That merits a warning on all their user forums.

I strongly recommend Teracopy to safely quickly do a perfect job.

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

I use the free version.

I used Windows to copy a set of Macrium image files from my secondary drive to my external USB drive.

only about 15% of the copies were valid - I think there was some problem with the USB port I used.

I now use Teracopy for anything of this nature.

It computes MD5 checksums as it copies each of the files,

and then it reads and computes the checksums of the duplicates to ensure they have not degraded whilst in-transit.

then it compares the checksums and can clean-up leaving only a list of mismatches ready for a retry.

I mainly use it for copy, but it has a MOVE button and I think the original is only deleted after the duplicate checksums have all been validated.

I did however notice that about 2/3 of the recovered files are restored with their oldstyle DOS filenames (i.e. 8 characters max, all in capitals).

Before CCleaner had a summary of cleaned files I would notice that some names were 8.3 Dos format and others were non-DOS style.

I now just accept this as another one of the WONDERS OF WINDOWS ! !

Sorry, but I do not know anything about retrieving the original names,

but so long as the partition has not been written to it may be possible to recover something from Metadata

(I know enough about Metadata to know it will hurt my brain.)

Thanks for responding, and the suggestion, will give Teracopy a go, especially as they have a portable version!

I also use Copy Handler a lot which is brilliant but hasn't been updated in years so was trying out some actively developed alternatives.

Wasn't able to come up with anything useful on the DOS filenames front. I'll just have to watch all those episodes of Pingu and guess at the names...