Avoid UAC prompt for startup cleaning for admin

I really like the feature enabled by the setting labeled "Run CCleaner when the computer starts". I enable this feature for my limited/standard user account. However, I disable the feature for my admin account because I am annoyed with the UAC prompt that otherwise occurs every time I log into that account.

I propose that CCleaner runs with limited rights for this feature so as to avoid the UAC prompt on the admin account.

• Moderators

asked many times

can't be done, most of what is cleaned and removed by ccleaner needs elevated privilages to run

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Try this...... disable the option for "Run CCleaner when the computer starts". Then use Windows Task Scheduler to run CCleaner at Log-on with the /Auto switch. This will avoid the UAC message and CCleaner will run when you log-on.

07/14/2011...... P.S. Whoops. Correction made. I meant to say "Task Scheduler" and not Task Manager. Sorry for the confusion.

What is the difference between what is cleaned with "Run CCleaner when the computer starts" enabled (admin rights) versus with Task Scheduler running "CCleaner.exe /AUTO" or "CCleaner64.exe /AUTO" (limited rights)? With "Run CCleaner when the computer starts" enabled, the registry is not cleaned. I am glad about this since I want to backup the hard disk before registry cleaning.

• Moderators

Good the registry SHOULD NOT BE CLEANED HAPHAZARDLY.

please follow my advice in my signature regarding that

I believe you meant "windows task scheduler" and not "task manager"? (One is the program that holds triggered tasks; the second is the program used to kill frozen programs)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

No, I don't want to sacrifice the security that UAC provides.

What is the difference between what is cleaned with "Run CCleaner when the computer starts" enabled (admin rights) versus with Task Scheduler running "CCleaner.exe /AUTO" or "CCleaner64.exe /AUTO" (limited rights)?

Still hoping someone will answer my question. If there is no difference, then it is easy to implement my suggestion in the opening post. If there is a difference, then it sill makes sense to clean only items requiring limited rights so as to avoid annoying the admin user. Or at least give the user the choice of whether the automatic cleaning at logon uses admin or limited rights.

Under Windows XP applications could do pretty much what they like, under Vista / Windows 7 this has changed because user accounts are no longer administrator accounts.

For CCleaner to be able to delete files or modify registry keys belonging to other applications it must be granted elevated privileges (administrator rights) with UAC.

Richard S.

With "Run CCleaner when the computer starts" enabled, the registry is not cleaned. I am glad about this since I want to backup the hard disk before registry cleaning.

Cleaning of registry keys does not apply here. Let's assume for now that CCleaner can clean more files with admin rights than with limited rights on Win7/Vista. As I said before, it sill makes sense to clean only items requiring limited rights at startup so as to avoid annoying the admin user. Or at least give the user the choice of whether the automatic cleaning at logon uses admin or limited rights.

clean only items requiring limited rights

But what exactly are you trying to clean??

Unfortunately if files and registry keys do not belong to CCleaner then any action it performs will automatically trigger a UAC request.

Richard S.

On the admin account in Win7, I want to clean the same types of files that CCleaner already cleans on a standard/limited account in Win7 when enabling the option "Run CCleaner when the computer starts".

I now see three reasons to run the cleaner with limited rights on the admin account when the computer starts:

1. Avoid annoying and slowing down the admin user with a UAC prompt at each login

2. It is safer to clean only files accessible with limited rights because the user does not preview/approve the files to be deleted.

3. It is simpler and more visible to check an option in CCleaner than to read up on command line options and set up Task Scheduler.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

There's a lot of CCleaner paranoia here.  Without exaggeration, over the many years I have known about, installed and run CCleaner, I have run CCleaner at least 10,000 times, the registry cleaner probably 3,000 times.  In fact, I have a Windows scheduled task that runs CCleaner every hour (after 10 minutes of no activity) on my main workstation. I have every setting checked on both tabs, Windows & Applications, with the exception of Wipe Free Space.  I have never had a problem on my workstation or any of my clients. 

Additionally, of the thousands of times I've run the Registry Cleaner in CCleaner only once did I have a problem. After I ran it, Windows (ME, I believe) would no longer run. BUT, I knew before I ran the registry cleaner the OS had serious registry issues so it came as no surprise when Windows would not start.   

In my opinion, backing up your registry each time before running the CCleaner registry cleaner is a waste of time and space. 

CCleaner is an excellent, extraordinarily safe and efficient utility way of cleaning up a computer.

• Moderators

@SpudMcFeebie

You have answered a nine year old thread, Windows and CCleaner have both changed a lot since then.

Please check the date on the last post of a thread before replying.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043