CCleaner Wipe Disk Bug

Hello! What's up? Well, I think this is my first question in CCleaner Forums and wanted to share a concern that I have some time ago.

In itself, this question is not "How the CCleaner works?" but rather, specifically in "How it Cleans the free space?".

Let's see:

* I have Windows 7 Ultimate x86

* I have a 465GB hard drive

* I have 2 partitions: Disk [C:] 146GB & Disk [D:] 319GB

* I have the latest version of CCleaner [Actually: 3.08.1475]

What happens is that I started to make my PC clean thoroughly, so I had check all of CCleaner options and activates the Method: Gutmann 35 Pass to permanently eliminate the trash.

I realized that to wipe free space on Disk [C:] CCleaner creates me a lot of folders, subfolders and files called "ZZZZ.zzz .. zz.z.. ZZZZZZ":

87zzzz.jpg

And that takes me much free space, then: Of 146GB, 100GB free now left me, but that does not worry me, because I've found these are temporary folders, and when CCleaner finishes the cleaning, these folders and files will be removed and I will have my free space that I had before.

The problem is to run in my Disk [D:], then, long before the 1? cleaning, I had 40GB of free space, I ran my CCleaner and it left me with only 1.24 GB free, then I passed it the CCleaner again and now I have only 212KB of free space WTF? :huh: :huh: :huh:

13212kb.png

But what? So what's the problem? Assuming that CCleaner has to create temporary files: "ZZZZZ... zzz ... ZZZZ ZZ" in cleaning up the disk space [D:] Where will they fit? How CCleaner will clean my [D:] disk?

I've explored to the hidden files in the [D] and I have not found anything ...

What the matter? I hope someone can help me with this situation, but because I'll have to buy a 700TB disk :lol:

I had to pass the CCleaner again, and this is the result:

740v.png

0KB of Free Space?... Seriously, You've had to be kidding me... ^_^

Thanks in advance CCleaner Support and Greetings from Ecuador B)

I have the same problem. It's not the first time when this problem appears. For example I have 9 megabytes free on drive D. I try to delete 4.5 GB of information from this drive. And what do I have now? 328 KBs! WTF?

• Moderators

Sounds like a couple things going on here

Yes, this is how wipefreespace works however it should be cleaning up after itself, if it isn't that's usually a case of the user stopping the clean before it's done

This can be fixed by opening CCleaner and running only WFS by itself, this should clean those up.

That said, you really SHOULD NOT run WFS unless you are selling the hard drive. it WILL drastically lessen the life of your hard drive by running WFS more often than I have just prescribed. This is especially true of high pass number wipes (anything more than 1 secure is Overkill). Gutmann himself now states 35 passes is insane to do.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Delete all the zzzzzzz and you will gain your drive space back.

Again, what you are doing with the WFS is not the suggested usage (too often) and the only reason for these files to stick around is that either you or the program itself are ending things before the wipe finishes. see if you still have the same problem with 1 single secure wipe.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

they are found a the top of your drive

i.e. if you wiped drive f: they are f:\zzzzzzzzzz

I wonder though, as both the current poster and the original poster seem to have this in common, if perhaps something is going incorrectly for non-english lang users and drive wiping.

Are you both running ccleaner in the same language as your computer?

I can't say for Pandora's but system and CCleaner language are the same (Russian). BTW only one secured run let me free the space on drive D. My usual DOD 3 run method didn't work for me just like normal file deletion.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I have the similar problem, however the filename on my computer is: 3590F75ABA9E485486C100C1A9D4FF06AUDVKAIPOOHGZMRF.

After searching & finding your description of the problem, i began a new freespace wipe using only one pass. Now it has created a new file named: 3590F75ABA9E485486C100C1A9D4FF06ZZZ..Z.....ZZZZZ.

I gather this will be removed after the wipe completes. Will the other file also be deleted when the current wipe is finished? Or will I have to use a new wipe using 7 passes (I started out doing the 7 passes, & stopped it because it was showing that it would take almost a whole day to complete the wipe).

Thanks for any assistance you can give me on this...

• 3 years later...

this post is old, but I have the same problem. my filename is a different random fileneme (3590F75ABA9E485486C100C1A9D4FF06GFQGDUHIMHWKCSQA), and my system rebooted in the middle of a wipe. Now, it won't let me delete the file, says access denied. I'm an administrator on the box, still doesn't let me. if I try to rename it move it or anything it says it's in use by System.

• Augeas locked this topic