clean out computer

Getandgo

I have a toshiba satellite laptop about 6 years old. I would like to clean it out keeping the xp operating system and start over. Any suggestion on how to do it. thanks

Richard

• Moderators

Do you have an xp disc?

Does the computer have a 'factory restore' drive?

Do you have all your docs backed up/copied somewhere else (e.g. usb flash drive or external hard drive?)

Has something happened to make you think about doing this, infections for example?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Do you have an xp disc?

Does the computer have a 'factory restore' drive?

Do you have all your docs backed up/copied somewhere else (e.g. usb flash drive or external hard drive?)

Has something happened to make you think about doing this, infections for example?

I haven't used this computer in several years. Nothing on it I want it is just slow slow because of all the unnecessery junk on it. i have pulled any useful stuff.

thanks

richard

• Moderators

If it have a 'factory settings' partition perhaps just run that.

Get ready to install all the service packs and updates of course.

How much memory does it have? Perhaps adding more may save you from doing anything, plus defragging and emptying all temp files.

Or, you could just stick Linux iso in the cd drive, dive in and explore :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Easiest thing would be to reload the system as Hazel has already suggested. If you don't have the Recovery Disks/Recovery Partition on the system, you can do it the long way: Delete the user account and create a new one. Use CCleaner to remove unnecessary files and Programs.

1. Create a new account first, log into that new account and delete the old account. You can find information on how to manage accounts on this Microsoft Support Page.

2. Once you do that, run CCleaner from the new account (or get it installed if you don't see it). You can remove programs using the Tools options and "Uninstall" Button. The list of programs to your right. Uninstall the ones you know about. If you don't know what it is, leave it alone.

But this is really roundabout (and flawed in that you need to know what programs to uninstall). Only do this if you have no choice.

I have a toshiba satellite laptop about 6 years old. I would like to clean it out keeping the xp operating system and start over. Any suggestion on how to do it. thanks

Richard

1st, be sure you have everything you want backed up & saved, including pictures/videos/music/favorites.

2cd, open CCleaner:

- Run CCleaner to clear junk files, being sure all browsers are closed

- Under startup tools, disable all un-necessary items

- Under uninstall, uninstall all programs you don't need such as Firefox/flash/shockwave/office/antivirus, etc, because they are likely older versions, anyway. You should reinstall the latest Firefox/flash/antivirus to bring them up-to-date.

- Run Nirsoft startup run & also disable any BHO items

- Start/run/tasks/enter & remove all running tasks

- Control panel/user accounts & delete all but the account you want to save.

- Delete all files you added such as pictures/videos/music in your user account/documents directory/C: directory, etc.

- Start/Run/%appdata% & enter. Clear Firefox profiles/user added folders/etc, but leave the ones that are Microsoft related.

- Start/Run/%programfiles% & enter. Clear remnant Opera/Chrome etc folders, but leave everything microsoft related such as windows media player, internet explorer, common files directory, etc.

- Right click my computer/properties/system restore tab/disable & apply to release all old restore points, then re-enable to create a new one.

- Open Defraggler & run it to consolidate files + free space

- Open CCleaner again & under drive wiper, choose wipe free space. This will also wipe MFT free space, & can increase performance.

Although this may not be perfect, it will greatly help before donating a PC to someone.

Best is always a clean format/total wipe/re-install windows.

Peace!

• 4 weeks later...