Firefox 5 out now

JDPower

Any mod fancy correcting the typo in the thread title :rolleyes:

i've got firefox 5-7, they all run fine on my system :)

It's not like I just collect betas and alphas of programs or anything

I'm way behind the times now, still using FF3.6 :D

Why not update to four? It's quite a bit faster than its older brother 3.6!

Pure laziness to be honest, always like to do a clean install of major updates and just haven't got round to it :rolleyes:

What does FF5 got that FF4 doesn't? :mellow:

AFAIK its not a huge change as they are going down the Chrome route of making every update a major number change (so by old versioning this would probably have been FF4.1). Its supposed to be a bit lighter on resource usage and have some privacy improvements but don't think there's anything major.

When I look at the add-on site and see a total of about 26 add-ons compatible with FF5 and none of them are the ones I use, I think I'll use FF4 for the rest of the year and check back then.

Oh wait, I went to the wrong page, or something. The add-on site keeps confusing extensions and add-ons. :blink:

Hmm, maybe I will try out FF5.

• Moderators

What does FF5 got that FF4 doesn't? :mellow:

A number 5 in the version.:lol::P Seriously see here. I did a clean install earlier, and can't tell a difference between version 4. By the way there's no reason not to update, not even for the lazy bunch (other than being lazy).:P

I think Firefox 5 should work a bit better on slower machines, due to the memory handling and performance improvements :) Haven't had a chance to test yet on a slower machine.

I can probably find a slow machine in the cupboard if you would like to do a swap ! ! !

• Moderators

I think Firefox 5 should work a bit better on slower machines, due to the memory handling and performance improvements :)

I don't have a slower machine and don't know if it specifically runs differently on a lower spec system however from version 4 and now 5 it consumes gobs more memory now, especially with multiple instances of plugin-container.exe but at least those extra processes means a plugin won't usually crash/freeze the whole browser. Albeit the only plugin related issues I've ever had are from Adobe Flash Player.

I don't like their new release schedule...from a user's point of view, nothing was added.

Me either, just stupidly following Chrome's approach for no apparent reason.

however from version 4 and now 5 it consumes gobs more memory now

That's interesting given that's the exact opposite of what they are claiming V5 is supposed to do :blink: