Chromium Cookies to Keep

gsouders

Hi Everyone,

I am curious if cookies to keep is supported for Chromium? Cookies show up in the list and I move them over to keep but they get deleted anyway. In fact the entire cookies file is deleted. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks...

What operating system ?

What version of Chromium - are you expecting full support for a beta product ?

I am using XP SP3 with Chromium 14.0.797.0. Not sure why you would call Chromium a beta product. Chromium is the same as Chrome without Google branding. Chromium has the same cookies file that Chrome uses. Does Cookies to keep work for Chrome?

I am using XP SP3 with Chromium 14.0.797.0. Not sure why you would call Chromium a beta product. Chromium is the same as Chrome without Google branding. Chromium has the same cookies file that Chrome uses. Does Cookies to keep work for Chrome?

I did not CALL it beta, I queried the possibility of an unspecified version.

I have just done a Google search for

Chromium Beta

This shows there are beta variants available (but no way am I going to download to see what junk they are trying to unload on me)

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

And this suggests that you are possibly 3 increments on from what was a possible beta release that was issued 3 days ago.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

Thursday, June 16, 2011 | 16:04

Labels: Dev updates

The Dev channel has been updated to 14.0.794.0 for Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome Frame platforms

I cannot comment on how CC works on either Chrome or Chromium because I only use Firefox.

I merely asked you to identify relevant details that Chromium users may need to assist you.

Alan_B,

Your links point to Chrome releases not Chromium. This discussion of which version I am using is pointless. CCleaner either supports the keep cookies function for Chromium or it does not. I suspect it does not since cookies are stored in a single file. Keeping select ones would require parsing the file. Anyway thanks for your input...

I searched for Chromium and results suggest a similar code base.

I have just searched for

"Chromium 14.0.797.0"

and only got

9 results (0.07 seconds)

The first result was your post

The other 8 were mostly foreign non-Ascii language results from foreign sound URL's,

most of which I felt could be sources of Torrents or malware.

I am out of here ! !

I have solved my problem. Cookies to keep does work for Chromium. My problem was that I had winapp2.ini file that contained entries for Chromium. I added these entries many versions ago when Chromium cleaning was not supported. Now it appears that Chromium cleaning is supported. Chromium is treated as Google Chrome so an analyze will display results for Chrome even though it is really Chromium data. Makes sense since chromium is the same app as chrome without the google branding. Anyway the entries in winapp2.ini were wiping out the entire cookies file. Working great now for keeping/deleting cookies. Sorry we pissed back and forth Alan_B, no heart feelings I hope...

• Moderators

:blink:

Just to clear up things

Alan_B chromium is a non-google-biased form of a the open source chrome browser . . . in fact it is the basis for which chrome is made from (not the other way around)

and yes as was discovered chromium based broswers are cleaned by google/Chrome

also Mozilla-based browsers (such as k-melon) are cleaned and managed by Mozilla/Firefox

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

:blink:

Just to clear up things

Alan_B chromium is a non-google-biased form of a the open source chrome browser . . . in fact it is the basis for which chrome is made from (not the other way around)

and yes as was discovered chromium based broswers are cleaned by google/Chrome

also Mozilla-based browsers (such as k-melon) are cleaned and managed by Mozilla/Firefox

Nergal,

Thanks for clearing things up. I hoping you can clear something else up for me. When I run a clean with ccleaner, I notice that residuals of cookie data and history data remain in the cookies/history files. Just opening them up in wordpad or a hex editor shows this. When I clean using chromium "Clear browsing data" the residuals do not remain. The interesting thing is that if I examine my history or cookie data from within Chromium after running ccleaner, it shows no history or cookie data. Yet residuals clearly still exist in the files. Can you shed and light on this? Thanks for your support...

• Moderators

That I can't answer as

1) I do not use any chrome based browser

2) I clean my internet tracks via a different software than CCleaner (I use ccleaner for many other cleanings and to catch the items not cleaned from IE caches and histories via my particular cleaner.

Thus my answer here is pure supposition.

1) Previous to cleaning with ccleaner open task manager and make sure EVERY instance of the browser's exe are closed. For this you will need to go to the second tab on task manager "processes" and it is helpful to arrange the items by name.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Thanks for responding Nergal. I am positive that all instances of the browser is closed when cleaning. I like that the browser does not show any cookies or history after a ccleaner run. However leaving residual data in the cookie/history files could be a problem. The files will continue to grow in size and never get properly cleaned. With a browser clean the data is completely removed and the files are shrunk as they should be. Do you know anyone one the dev team that can look into this? Thanks for your support...

• Moderators

The devs read every and all threads, so they may ask you to provide more information (or they may not comment at all, hang in there and we'll figure something out)

The devs read every and all threads, so they may ask you to provide more information (or they may not comment at all, hang in there and we'll figure something out)

Thanks Nergal,

I have solved this problem. There is an option under Google Chrome called "Compact Databases". It is greyed out and unchecked by default. Checking this option removes all residual data in the cookie/history files. Good job developers!!!!