CCleaner Fails Latest Beta Google Chrome

Steve1209

Hello,

I have Google Chrome Beta 13.0.782.24 installed & running the latest CCleaner, I close the Chrome browser before running CCleaner but still get this as if Chrome is still openThis Error

Thanks for any help,

Steve

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

open task manager go to the process tab you will see that there still is chrome running (or perhaps a process called plugin_contaner or some like that)

either a plugin, extension, or theme is stopping chrome from proper shut down

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hi Nergal,

What you say is 100% true, I un-installed all of my extensions, I don't believe I have a theme installed and what-ever plugin's I have are the default for the version of Chrome I have. It would be nice (IMHO) if CCleaner closed down Chrome completely and cleaned without intervention. When I start Chrome, in task manager I have 5 Chrome.exe's running, when I close it down I still have 1 running, I close it (the one Chrome.exe) in task manager & then of course CCleaner works perfectly!

Thanks for the info,

Steve

It would be nice (IMHO) if CCleaner closed down Chrome completely and cleaned without intervention.

I think that would be a stupendous error.

If Firefox was forcibly shut down then the bookmarks and passwords that I have just changed would not be securely synchronised with the LastPass and Xmarks servers.

I guess Chrome might have similar problems

OK, Google Chrome even the DEV version 14.0.825.0 works just fine with the current version of CCleaner, you can NOT be using SYNC or cloud printing in Chrome & then everything is working perfectly with CCleaner!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I was having the same problem... Hopefully this works for me!!!

Life may not be fair, but the least we can do is make games fair.

--Me

• Moderators

funny enough I've run into many people for whom exiting chrome is impossible with sync or cloudprint

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Take that back, it still didn't work for me.... Sigh.....

Life may not be fair, but the least we can do is make games fair.

--Me

• 1 month later...

I was having this same problem with Chrome ver. 13.0.782.220 m on Windows XP.

My fix was as follows:

If you go to Chrome >> Spanner icon >> Options >> Under the Hood

The very last option is "Background Apps" with a checkbox "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed"

When I unchecked that box, CCleaner finally ran without the message about closing Google Chrome (when it was already closed).

I don't think I have ever signed up to Google Cloud Print or Synch so that wasn't a factor for me.

This Google thing only happened to me and CC since I grabbed the latest version of CCleaner 3.10.1525 about 10? days ago.

Thanks CCleaner I love your work!

• 3 months later...

open task manager go to the process tab you will see that there still is chrome running (or perhaps a process called plugin_contaner or some like that)

either a plugin, extension, or theme is stopping chrome from proper shut down

Nergal, what would happen if I killed the 4 google chrome tasks that are running in my task manager? Ended them?

Would I mess up something, or do you think I would then be able to use ccleaner to clean my chrome files?

Bad idea?

Thanks for having patience with a noob :)

I would like to make a final comment on this subject, for now.

We know that Ccleaner is not cleaning out Google Chrome's browsing history and other Chrome data.

Until this is fixed, or a work around is established, there is always this very simple option.

Before you run Ccleaner, open up your Google Chrome browser...

Go to:

Options

Under the hood

Privacy

Clear browsing data

and manually clear out all of the browsing data for google chrome.

Then you can run Ccleaner and let it do its job for your other browsers, and other data you need cleaned out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After I read some of the possible reasons for ccleaner showing google chrome's browser as "open", and reading about uninstalling apps and themes and plugins, I went here:

Options

Under the Hood

Content settings

Plugins

disable individual plugins

There are a bunch of "individual" google chrome plugins that you would have to remove, if that is what you think is causing this issue.

I mean, alot of them.

Even if you disabled all of them, I dont think that would fix this issue.

Happy New Year everyone

Peace

Razz

• Moderators

Nothing would happen except you would lose what ever browsing was occuring on them, and the issue (for this OLD thread you reserected) is usually tied to a bad plugin/theme or the use of Google Cloud-Print or Google-Sync

razzell, it is old for everyone, the date is old, it was/is an old thread. The last post was nearly four months ago.

Nergal is a moderator, and you should probably be a bit more respectful to him, as he reserves the right to remove you :ph34r:

You violated Muphry's Law in your own post, by the way ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Winapp2.ini, you mean Hartman's Law of Prescriptivist Retaliation? :)

I did not mean to offend anyone, nor did I mean to disrespect anyone, least of all a moderator of these forums.

I am not worried about being removed from the forum, but I want it to be clear that I was only trying to be funny.

I should have put an lol or a smiley face behind my comment I suppose.

As for my comments on this thread.. I was told by Nergal himself to start a new thread regarding this issue, (which is new for me, having just donated and paid for my ccleaner pro and then having an issue with it). I had originally posted this on another thread that was old, and so I thought I was posting to a thread that was new, or newer anyway.

Being new to this, or any forum to be honest, I am just learning how and when and where to post my questions.

I feel bad if I angered anyone. I also feel bad that no one got my joke about misspelling a word, and I feel bad that no one thought my rhyme..."rude dude" was funny. :(

Stay loose, everyone. Don't sweat the small stuff ;)

• Moderators

meh internet anger only lasts a few seconds, i've no interest in (nor reason to) banning anyone for "speaking their mind" or "posting where they though they should"

my "point" was more of the "You have a new issue and need to start a new thread" mindset.