Overwriting HDD to sell PC

LFX64

So basically it's secure enough for everybody except the NSA and FBI and shiz like that? No user equipment could recover my credit details?

If that be the case, then I'll be happy to sell my PC knowing it is safe and secure from little thief-o'z

If this helps, here's a little info I received directly from the Dban folks a few years ago:

"The default options in DBAN are sensible for almost all circumstances (AutoNuke).

The Quick Erase is probably good enough for most home users, but the DoD wipe is the default because most businesses want to do things the way they've always done things.

Autonuke uses the DoD Short method, which is the "right way" to do the?DoD wipe.

The DoD Long method is the way everybody used to do the DoD wipe?until the software developers actually read the specification document."

Ahh I did DoD short, so I'm good. Took about 8 and a half hours.

I suppose my PC is ready for selling :)

I'll be sure to post back here in this thread if I have any other concerns, but as of now, thanks for everyones help.

I have a somewhat similar question, but with a little different twist.

I have an older external HDD that died a while back with lots of stuff on it - and there's absolutely no way of accessing that data (believe me, I've tried). I've also tried disassembling the case to remove the drive itself, but it's really tough to get the it out of the case. (Not even sure what I would do with it even if I could get it out). Obviously, I'm no longer using this drive, but I'm not exactly thrilled about just tossing it in a dumpster somewhere.

What can I do? Any thoughts on how to destroy the data content on a dead external?

What can I do? Any thoughts on how to destroy the data content on a dead external?

Some info here, much of it just plain silly (e.g. do not shoot it with a gun) <_< . http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-298466.html

One method, (not tested by any forensic labs afaik), but...drill a couple of holes in one side of the actual HD, get it hot enough to destroy any silicon chips, then let it cool and fill it with the cheapest 2 part epoxy you can find and let it set. Then toss it out. :)

Might not defeat James Bond and Q, but will defeat anybody without tons of expensive equipment.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Any thoughts on how to destroy the data content on a dead external?

It's the 4th of July so if you have any fireworks you could blow it up, set it on fire, etc.;)

Or visit a place with a car crushing machine, plop it in and see what the results are.

• Moderators

Ah, you'd all (in the UK) be in breach of the WEEE directive: 'householders are now covered by the duty of care and must ensure they only pass their waste to a registered waste carrier or other approved person.' So the green police will get all you fire-bugs.

Ah, you'd all (in the UK) be in breach of the WEEE directive: 'householders are now covered by the duty of care and must ensure they only pass their waste to a registered waste carrier or other approved person.' So the green police will get all you fire-bugs.

Errr, ummm, you could just sneak it onto the edge of the grill during a cookout, put a hot dog on there so it will smell right, and WALLAH, you have accomplished step one of my untested but highly sophisticated method. 4.gif

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.