3 tabs, not 2

In CCleaner, I think it is a bit confusing to have Internet Explorer under System, & Firefox under Applications.

I wish there were 3 tabs, not 2. Right now, there is Windows/Applications

What about having 3 tabs that are: Applications/Internet/Windows

Applications -> All 3rd party apps

Internet -> All internet browsers (including internet explorer)

Windows -> Same as before, but minus internet explorer (since it is now in Internet)

I think this would make the interface far simpler to understand at a glance

Hope you like this idea!

• Moderators

That sounds good actually, a perfect well thought of suggestion!;) It's odd to have Internet Explorer under the Windows tab, then other browsers under the Applications tab.

Of course I also realise making an Internet tab would also cause a moving of allot of other Internet related applications into the Internet tab such as Adobe Flash Player, BitTorrent, uTorrent, etc., so it could be more cohesive.

That sounds good actually, a perfect well thought of suggestion!;) It's odd to have Internet Explorer under the Windows tab, then other browsers under the Applications tab.

Of course I also realise making an Internet tab would also cause a moving of allot of other Internet related applications into the Internet tab such as Adobe Flash Player, BitTorrent, uTorrent, etc., so it could be more cohesive.

In that case, they could simply do subgroups (like they do now in tabs)

Internet tab could have a *Browsers subgroup, & an *Applications subgroup

But of course, you could also exclusively reserve this tab for web browsers, or name it Browsers.

It would be very nice to at least have all the internet browsers grouped together, I think.

To be able to see at a glance, Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc. Soooo confusing to have to look in multiple tabs for multiple browsers!

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Here's an example of an annoyance because of deficiency when you cannot specify your choices well enough:

How do I tell CCleaner to compact the Firefox -.sqlite files, but leave the Thunderbird .sqlites alone? It is annoying to the extreme when CCleaner starts compacting the global-messages-db.sqlite, especially if that db is on another computer (ie. on a network computer) and/or the db-file is a very large one. There should be a difference in what the program touches and what not, therefore the setting "Firefox/Mozilla" as such is insufficient if you chose to optionally compact the databases.

• Moderators

Here's an example of an annoyance because of deficiency when you cannot specify your choices well enough

And what exactly does your complaint have to do with this recommendation? You're basically hijacking this topic when you should've started your own!

Thanks for this suggestion :) Have been wondering myself of the fact when been working with winapp2.ini that CCleaner actually could have one more pane instead of just two. Sounds & looks fair as there is room for one extra additional tab.

I wouldn't say no thanks for a even more modern improved tabbed interface either but also realise many has been used with using winapp2.ini for quit some time and if developing these menus too much there might be difficulties in keep it like it is in this stage in not lose the file of freedom for include and exclude things.

Why not make a second row of more tabs in spread it out on more categorys :rolleyes:

Windows is a big one with lot of settings and could almost have more than one tab e.g System Standard & System Advanced.

Applications many times huge too, perhaps Split it up in several like system-utilities, office-tools, virtualization & gameing and so on.

The same with the Internet related field of different stuff people use, I'm sure this group of features won't be smaller.

Beyond this using subgroups inside tabs sounds rational as well and a good idea in split things up for easier overview.

Thanks for this suggestion :) Have been wondering myself of the fact when been working with winapp2.ini that CCleaner actually could have one more pane instead of just two. Sounds & looks fair as there is room for one extra additional tab.

I wouldn't say no thanks for a even more modern improved tabbed interface either but also realise many has been used with using winapp2.ini for quit some time and if developing these menus too much there might be difficulties in keep it like it is in this stage in not lose the file of freedom for include and exclude things.

Why not make a second row of more tabs in spread it out on more categorys :rolleyes:

Windows is a big one with lot of settings and could almost have more than one tab e.g System Standard & System Advanced.

Applications many times huge too, perhaps Split it up in several like system-utilities, office-tools, virtualization & gameing and so on.

The same with the Internet related field of different stuff people use, I'm sure this group of features won't be smaller.

Beyond this using subgroups inside tabs sounds rational as well and a good idea in split things up for easier overview.

Extra TABS would be very inefficient in use.

I launch CCleaner and during Analyse look down the Windows TAB and see that all is well and Boot-up will not be destroyed.

I would not want to skip from TAB to TAB.

The Analyse results show that my cherished applications will survive another day, and it is all "Good to Go".

I do not worry about cookies so do not mind if they are on a separate TAB which I will rarely bother to look at.

When I update is generally the only time I will inspect and consider what is now available for cleaning,

and then it is no problem if I need to scroll a bit.

Extra TABS would be very inefficient in use.

That depends, Alan.

I agree that TOO MANY tabs is excessive.

But I see nothing at all wrong with grouping:

Applications (all 3rd party apps)

Browsers (All browsers, such as FF, IE, Chrome, etc)

Windows (All windows settings)

In effect, I think 1 more tab which groups all the internet browsers together, would be much more efficient, than looking for IE under Windows tab, then Firefox/Opera/Chrome/whatever all grouped together with things like Adobe flash, AVG, Avira, Avast, (fill in the blank here)

The reason being, that most items do NOT require users to change settings often.

However, since a lot of people are/do change web browsers frequently, & some want to keep cookies, others delete, some want to keep auto complete, whatever, this IS a section that changes a LOT depending on who needs whatever for whatever.

Therefore, it would be much more functional to group all web browsers together in their own tab, rather than spread out all over the place where users have to hunt and peck (Internet explorer? What? It's NOT in applications tab? I thought it was a program! Where is it?) etc.

I do agree that many tabs only complicates matters, but I feel that it is entirely reasonable to ask for 1 more tab that groups all web browsers due the above scenarios & simply due to the fact that it would unify all browsers where all could be edited in the same place for ease of use. I am sure that you are a power user, & that you do not perhaps change IE/FF/Chrome/Opera/Safari etc that often, but for people who do, its a real headache to switch between tabs just to see the different browser settings!

I am quite happy an approve of the initial suggestion - one extra TAB for all the browsers.

I also suggest that Macromedia Flash should be there as well since it causes many posts about cookies that are not deleted when the browsers are set to have cookies zapped.

I only object to extra TABS for sub-divisions of Windows

It doesn't sounds wrong take it gradually and begin with a third tab as a first step in help it up a bit.

From my own v3.09.1493 of CCleaner.

Windows Tab: Internet Explorer (8), Windows Explorer (5), System (11), Advanced (8). Summary Tickboxes= 32

Applications Tab: Google Chrome (8), Applications (12), Internet (4), Multimedia (10), Utilities (12), Windows? (31), Additional Webbrowser winapp2.ini (17), Secondary webbrowser winapp2.ini (17). = 111 items to check.

(Around 34 + a couple objects more caused of the file which is used).

Must say I like the idea in the original post. Webbrowsers for Internet should have an separate tab. The same with Windows related stuff (except IE) in discussion of 3 Tabs incl. subtitled groups and one Tab aimed for Applications (third apps). And like before, much can still be done from the file winapp2.ini and other files in fix things up by personal taste for everyone who wants it. The last thing is a great help to have in CCleaner! Just keep it simple & easy to use :)

I am quite happy an approve of the initial suggestion - one extra TAB for all the browsers.

I also suggest that Macromedia Flash should be there as well since it causes many posts about cookies that are not deleted when the browsers are set to have cookies zapped.

I only object to extra TABS for sub-divisions of Windows

Seems we share "Macromedia Flash", it's one of my wishes to in move it in under the Internet Tab, it belongs there for sure. B)

Otherwise there are plenty of programs that also share and use internet so it's certainly not easy where to draw the line but keep it somewhere between those that are most well known among these types of software might be fair in not making the internet Tab too big.

If take a fast check and look in what could be realistic in next improved generation of CCleaner...How does it sound like if starting use Extended sub-division groups in give this panels more room for more items and save some space :rolleyes: In my wild imagination I see this as a compromise for using Tabs and then it would be possible for the user in having many blocks under the same pane/field/workingspace you name it :) Another pro would be that we don't have to use the scrollfunction that much..possible to hide what might be desirable to hide and see what we want to see.

Could be a line to hit and maybe not only a simple (+), small buttons hard to hit with the cursor so something bigger would be a good choise from my point of view :D Just another idea

Could be a line to hit and maybe not only a simple (+), small buttons hard to hit with the cursor so something bigger would be a good choise from my point of view :D Just another idea

+1

And what exactly does your complaint have to do with this recommendation? You're basically hijacking this topic when you should've started your own!

Why dont you let the user choose whether to as a preoption use 2 or 3 tabs and group content accordingly? More important is what after that choice comes in those tabs, and how these choices work. The example should just give you the idea.

Besides... the former input was not a complaint, it was just a mere observation of how things are now. And by no means was that a hijacking attempt in any way of this topic. (Sorry because of the fact I have another native language, maybe that confuses understanding when/if things don't come out too well?)

It is annoying to the extreme when CCleaner starts compacting the global-messages-db.sqlite, especially if that db is on another computer (ie. on a network computer) and/or the db-file is a very large one.

That is a complaint which can reasonably be considered as a hijack.

Your problem is nothing to do with the use of a third TAB.

If you are annoyed then you should start your own topic with a suitable title requesting advice.

• Moderators

That is a complaint which can reasonably be considered as a hijack.

Your problem is nothing to do with the use of a third TAB.

If you are annoyed then you should start your own topic with a suitable title requesting advice.

Exactly as Alan_B has stated! If you don't like something and have a complaint just start your own topic.