Microsoft Security Essentials

Jamin4u

• Moderators

Resource-wise on XP it's actually heavy with the amount of RAM it uses. I personally wouldn't put it on an XP system unless it had at the minimum 1GB RAM! Most notable however is the scanning time on XP when doing a full scan it takes an unexpected long amount of time. For XP machines Avira AntiVir doesn't consume gobs of RAM, and complete scans are quick enough too.

Thanks for the replies all. I haven't heard from anyone running MSE on XP so I've been hesitant to try it.

Andavari, do you use Antivir 10 and if so does it still start a full system scan if realtime finds a virus?

I'm a fan of version 9 and I'm willing to try 10 on my XP box if I can get some positive feedback here.

I think MSE is really meant for 64bit systems. I mean systems with 6 to 8 gigs of ram, they could almost, almost, almost handle Norton or AVG! ;)

XP 64bit, I bet MSE would work well in that.

I think MSE is really meant for 64bit systems. I mean systems with 6 to 8 gigs of ram, they could almost, almost, almost handle Norton or AVG! ;)

XP 64bit, I bet MSE would work well in that.

That's funny Corona. :lol:

I believe MSE is available for Windows XP (32-bit only).

Vista and Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).

It seems that XP is being left behind more and more.

As much as I love XP, that's why I moved on to 7-64 ( skipping Vista). XP is definitely a role model they should base/compare future versions of Windows by. It was a definite hit.

• Moderators

Jamin I think that MSE can be run okay on XP and I know lots of people who do without any problem.

I think why it works so well with win 7 64 bit is because it was written by them so perhaps avoids a lot of the hoops other apps have to go through.

I would give it a try on your XP box, if it runs well for you, good. If it doesn't, just move to something else. I've never had any problems with installing/uninstalling it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Andavari, do you use Antivir 10 and if so does it still start a full system scan if realtime finds a virus?

AntiVir's real-time has never been triggered fully on my system! Sure once in awhile it will freak out over ClamWin's database giving a false positive, but then it almost immediately self-corrects and automatically knows to ignore it all on its own.

Jamin I think that MSE can be run okay on XP and I know lots of people who do without any problem.

I think why it works so well with win 7 64 bit is because it was written by them so perhaps avoids a lot of the hoops other apps have to go through.

I would give it a try on your XP box, if it runs well for you, good. If it doesn't, just move to something else. I've never had any problems with installing/uninstalling it.

It should run fine, the excessive amount of RAM it uses isn't really noticable. Like I stated before it's the slow scanning that's the most noticable thing on XP.

As for installing it installs fine, just make sure you're connected to the Internet since it has to validate your Windows as legit, and of course download the signature files, etc.

As for uninstalling that's another can of worms as with most antivirus it leaves allot behind, so it's wise to track the installation with an install watcher ("Total Uninstall (Last Freeware Version), ZSoft Uninstaller, etc.,). If uninstalling use an uninstaller program which gets rid of many left-overs ("Revo Uninstaller Free, IObit Uninstaller, etc.,) on it, then followed by which ever install watcher program was used to track the installation, and perhaps use a System Restore Point to undo everything else missed. The best way to fully get rid of it though is using a backup image previously made with imaging software (Macrium Reflect Free Edition, Acronis, Drive Image XML, etc.)

Does Microsoft Security Essentials have the same effectiveness on XP as Vista and Windows 7?

I read that it did better on the newer operating systems.

MSE works flawlessly on my antiquated machine with XP and 1.5G RAM. I'd never heard of any concern over XP until reading the replies to this thread.

From MS:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/ProductInformation.aspx

Microsoft Security Essentials uses smart caching and active memory swapping so signatures that are not in use are not taking up space, thus limiting the amount of memory used even as the volume of known malware continues to increase. This makes Microsoft Security Essentials friendlier toward older PCs, as well as today?s smaller, less powerful form factors such as netbooks.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/SystemRequirements.aspx

Minimum system requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials

Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7*

* For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 256 MB RAM or higher.

* For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.

MSE works flawlessly on my antiquated machine with XP and 1.5G RAM. I'd never heard of any concern over XP until reading the replies to this thread.

Zone54 I also use MSE on a XP Pro with 2.0GIG of RAM with no issues at all - also used alongside AVG

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"