"Include" files in specific folder for deletion

Neoacuity

• Moderators

Two solutions then, but don't get too excited as solving one mystery usually reveals another. :)

Does CCleaners "Old Prefetch Data" routine manage to do what we can't do manually, that is delete the old prefetch data with Secure Delete enabled?

And does anyone really care by now? ;)

Neoacuity can switch Secure Delete off, or if keeping it is the preference, try the rename and substitute method.

All in all that prefetch folder has some strange properties.

• Moderators
Does CCleaners "Old Prefetch Data" routine manage to do what we can't do manually, that is delete the old prefetch data with Secure Delete enabled?

No, I've just had two more candidates for deletion through Old Prefetch Data, so I enabled secure deletion and cleaned them. Both showed up in Recuva under their proper names and not overwritten.

And does anyone really care by now?

Of course, I smell blood.

All in all that prefetch folder has some strange properties.

It sure does, but we can beat it.

I can understand that a Secure delete of a message to/from a mistress might protect against divorce,

but cannot understand how deleting the prefetch files without secure overwrite would lead to divorce or any significant privacy exposure.

• Moderators

I can understand that a Secure delete of a message to/from a mistress might protect against divorce,

but cannot understand how deleting the prefetch files without secure overwrite would lead to divorce or any significant privacy exposure.

Chance would be a fine thing (Wistful sigh).

Personally, I leave the prefetch to CCleaners "14 day without access" routine, but as I have a 1 pass secure delete set for CCleaners general cleaning, purely as a result of the direction this thread has taken I was curious as to whether CCleaner was securely deleting eligible prefetch files with that blanket setting, but it appears not.

• Moderators

Ah ha! Dennis and Neo, a breakthough (maybe). It's the pic that holds the clue. Dennis, you're using secure deletion. I kicked off DoPDF again, created the prefetch entry (the include entry was still there), set secure deletion to one pass, ran Custom Files clean and nothing was removed!. I went back to normal deletion, ran clean, and the prefetch entry went.

Now all hangs on whether Neo uses secure deletion. I almost feel excited.

P.S. During testing I added a non .pf file to the prefetch folder. I tried to delete it and Windows didn't allow this, or a rename. Secure deletion edits, renames and deletes. Perhaps it's this?

What was I saying about "Catch22"?

I can't test this on my computer now as my "new" prefetch folder shows up in a scan with "1 Pass Secure Delete" enabled. :lol:

Although .. I haven't rebooted since the substitute thing.

Isn't this fun.

Greetings and sorry about the delay in reply but here, we had a 3-day weekend and I was gone.

My setting is on normal file deletion. I Included a .pf file (from the prefetch folder) and proceeded with "Analyze custom files and folder". Nothing showed up but, this time when I initiated "Clean" even though nothing was detected, CC confirmed deletion of the .pf file!!! Same process failed when I set CC to "Secure delete w/ one pass". No file was removed.

Funny thing is, I followed your procedure and added a non-PF file in the folder, I set to secure delete and the file showd up in analysis of Custume files and folders and was deleted as well.

With regards to creating a duplicate prefetch folder, I agree and confirm that all .pf files within the new folder successfully were detected and removed as if OS or CC did not care about contents of the new folder that bears name of prefetch but is NOT created by the OS during OS installation. DennisD, perhaps that is why your new folder shows up in the analysis as it is NOT the one created by the OS during installation. The one that most likely is tagged, referenced, documented, coded, ...somewhere

Confusing...Simply confusing

• Moderators

It is an odd folder that one.

If things are working for you now, it's back to using CCleaners routine to look after mine.

A good spot by Augeas that the secure delete setting made a difference to what CCleaner did with those files.