"Include" files in specific folder for deletion

Neoacuity

Hello all,

I have tried to include files in folder C:\windows\prefetch to be included for deletion with no success.

I tried to include specific files in the prefetch folder (wild card) to be cleaned with no success.

Am I correct to assume that CCleaner does NOT remove content of specific folders based on its inherent behavior or is there a trick to this?

Thanks in advance

win XP sp3

CClean v 3.06.1433

EDIT---updated and Same condition applies to CCleaner 3.07.1457

I doubt the wisdom or benefit of trying to delete System files.

If you do not know how to "Include" files or the likely result then feel free to create some folders/files in your documents folder and experiment on them.

It is foolish to experiment on files in C:\Windows\anywhere.

You may fail to delete and not realise that the O.S. stopped you so you will learn a "fact" that is generally false,

or you may succeed and possibly as a result Windows System File Protection may demand your Installation Discs or worse.

• Moderators

Do you mean that you can't enter prefetch files in the Include scection, or you can but they don't show on an analyse, or you can, and they either show or don't show on analyse, but aren't removed on clean?

If the latter it might be that CC's 'only clean prefetch files older than 14 days' process is kicking in.

Do you mean that you can't enter prefetch files in the Include scection, or you can but they don't show on an analyse, or you can, and they either show or don't show on analyse, but aren't removed on clean?

If the latter it might be that CC's 'only clean prefetch files older than 14 days' process is kicking in.

Augeas, thanks for the reply. I CAN include the folder (and therefore all the files *.* in the folder) but, as you predicted they are neither included in the analysis NOR are they cleaned. Can you please elaborate on what is the significance of prefetch files older than "14 days" that might be cleaned? Is 14 days period set by the OS? I thank you in advance.

p.s. With regards to the previous poster remarks; I do realize the importance of "System files" however, there is NO indication that deleting said files in any way may interfere with operation. In fact, Firefox recommends to delete its prefetch file(s)in Windows\prefetch in order to address some issues with performance and many other system cleaning software INCLUDE prefetch files in their clean up process.

• Moderators

I find the same thing with the prefetch folder and files running XP.

Using CCleaners "Include", neither the folder nor individual files will appear in analyse. Can't find anyway to delete them with CCleaner. The "Custom Files and Folders" checkbox is checked by the way.

They can all be deleted manually, so it doesn't appear to be a permissions issue.

Which begs the question, are the prefetch files which haven't been accessed for 14 days (a CCleaner rule) actually deleted?

I've never checked that, as it's been a set and forget thing.

EDIT: I've also tried with CCleaners "Prefetch Data" box unchecked in case it affected the "Include" setting.

• Moderators

CC already has a clean old prefetch data option, which I think is anything not referenced within 14 days (and perhaps excludes Layout.ini and Ntosboot-nnn.pf). Maybe this date checking on the Prefetch folder is interfering with your Include entries. This is only a guess as I don't really want to mess with my prefetch folder. Aren't you happy with the standard prefetch clean?

(Posted before I saw Dennis's post, which begs another question, what are you achieving by including prefetch, Dennis?)

• Moderators

I'm not actually attempting to achieve anything.

Whenever possible I try to recreate a posters experience, especially if we are running the same Operating System, and as they state, CCleaners "Include" won't analyse or delete the prefetch folder or individual files, although I can delete both manually.

And as I say above, this begs the question is CCleaner deleting anything at all by having the "Old Prefetch Data" box checked?

• Moderators

Ah, I thought you had prefetch included as your standard setup, not just as a one-off test. As for the begging question, I haven't the foggiest. It's unusual to want to put prefetch in the Includes when there's an option to clean it (old stuff) already available.

• Moderators

Ah, I thought you had prefetch included as your standard setup, not just as a one-off test. As for the begging question, I haven't the foggiest.

Neither have I, and it's something I may try and clear up one way or the other although when you're talking about a folder usually less than 10mb, it doesn't seem worth the trouble. Trouble is my curiosity has been triggered by the damn thing and I'll be forever wondering.

Of course, some folks prefetch may possibly include stuff they would rather not have in there, so finding out one way or the other would probably give them piece of mind. Or not.

I'm also wondering if this is an Operating System thing as XP has always had a few foibles.

The devs may pop in with an answer.

Augeas and DennisD thank you for the information and verification.

I do not have any problem with pre-set of CCleaner to address "Old" prefetch data however, the operative word here is "Old" and I just wondered even with that option off why the data is not included in the analysis --regardless of the age of the files.

I will make sure there are 14-day old prefetch files and run CCleaner to see what happens.

Thanks again

Regards,

• Moderators

There's not a thing in my prefetch folder older than about a week.

Windows apparently looks after old stuff in the prefetch folder, but not as regularly as appears to be the case in my folder, so I have to put that down to CCleaners routine.

Still strange why an include won't work, but I'll live with that small mystery.

• Moderators

Windows chops some old entries when the file count reaches around 138 (from what I can remember) to drop the count to a more reasonable number. I never get anywhere near to that number so I use CC's facility to clear the older entries. I'd never thought of including any prefetch entries in CC's Include section. Yes, it would be nice to know what's going off with those entries.

• Moderators

Ah! Today, on Analyse, I had one prefetch file suitable for deletion with CC's Old Prefetch Data option. I then added the prefetch folder to the Include section and ran Analyse. The file didn't show up in the Custom clean analyse whether I had Old Prefetch Data checked or not. (But still showed in the Old Prefetch Data analyse.)

I then dragged the particular prefetch file to the include section, but unfortunately this updated the last accessed date, so nothing showed anywhere. I suppose a wild card or a manual edit, so that the last accessed date isn't changed, is the next test. I'll have to wait for another candidate for deletion to try that.

So prefetch folder as a whole doesn't seem to be enabled in Include/Custom clean. Specific entries? Probably not either.

• Moderators

Me again. I had another candidate for removal this afternoon (as shown by Old Prefetch Data analyse). This time I manually edited an Include entry to the full prefetch file name. I then ran Custom File analysis and nothing showed up, whether I had Old Prefetch Data ticked or not. I then cleaned Custom Files, and the prefetch file was removed.

I then edited the Include to refer to a prefetch file that wasn't eligible for deletion by Old Prefetch Data (i.e. wasn't more than 14 days old). This also didn't show in Custom Files analysis, but was deleted when I ran Custom Files clean.

So with this morning's experiment I think that I can say that:

The prefetch folder, and individual prefetch files, can be added to the Include list but will not be displayed in Custom File analysis.

Individual prefetch files added to the Include list will be cleaned when Custom File clean is run.

Following this I would say that there's a good chance that the prefetch folder contents would be deleted if the entire folder was added to the Include list, but I'm not going to test this. Perhaps Neoacuity can test this.

Hello again

The following is with reference to several prefetch files (*.pf) all with date-stamp of May 25, 2011 (less than 14 days old), "Old Prefetch Data" option enabled during each analysis during first run and disabled during second run of analysis with "Custom Files And Folders" option enabled throughout the entire analysis:

1- Included ENTIRE widows/prefetch FOLDER for clean up. Analysis did NOT include the folder or any of the files within the folder and did NOT delete the folder. Even though the files within the folder are less than 14 days old, the folder should have been deleted. I believe date of files must not have a bearing on deletion of an entire folder.

2- Included ONLY several files in widows/prefetch folder for clean up and again, analysis did NOT include any of the files and no files were removed after cleanup.

3- I copied several of the files in windows/prefetch with extension pf to another folder (C:\test) and included all the files in the said folder for analysis. "Advanced-Custom files and folders" hence, all the noted files WERE included in analysis for deletion--yippee but of no use in my case

4- I copied several of the files in windows/prefetch to a folder WITHIN the prefetch folder (C:\windows\prefetch\test) and included all the files in the said folder for analysis. "Advanced-Custom files and folders" hence, all the noted files, WERE included in analysis for deletion--yippee but again, no use in my case

5- I copied several of the files in windows/prefetch to a folder WITHIN the Windows directory (C:\windows\test) and included all the files in the said folder for analysis. "Advanced-Custom files and folders" hence, all the noted files, WERE included in analysis for deletion

CCleaner is being selective and obviously likes to bypass files within C:\windows\prefetch yet, it picks *.pf files, everywhere else that they may be residing regardless of the age. Just plain confusing and please let me know if my description needs clarification.

Regards,

• Moderators

Some effort put in there Augeas, and Neoacuity, but CCleaner won't delete any files in the Prefetch folder (or the folder itself) although none of them are old enough to be eligible for the "14 days without access" CCleaner setting.

I've tried every setting and permutation available in the CCleaner "Include" window, but that folder and files, on my computer, will not respond to an analasys or be deleted after many CCleaner runs and reboots since I added that entry.

Just as another test to add to Neoacuity's, and show that there's some kind of relationship (for want of a better word) between the prefetch folder and CCleaner I did the following, and as old Confucius recommends, a couple of pics ...

I've had these entries in CCleaners "Include" window for a couple of days now:

You'll notice a "prefetch_2" in there as I made a "control/left mouse drag" copy of the prefetch folder:

CCleaner will pick up the identical (apart from name) prefetch folder and files, and will delete them every time, but not the original.

The devs would probably be able to explain this in an instant, but it's beyond my knowledge of CCleaner.

• Moderators

Well, I don't know what you two are doing, as I did get .pf files deleted, if not shown in analysis. I'm on XPSP3, but on CC 3.05. I'll try again when I go to 3.07 shortly.

• Moderators

I'm using 3.06.1433, and I don't doubt you for a second Augeas, but it won't happen on my computer.

I've tried stipulating all files with the .pf extension, files only, files and subfolders, files subfolders and the folder itself. They're all still there.

I've also tried adding one file to the include list which was 5 days old. Still there.

The obvious conclusion to draw is that CCleaner must be hard wired not to delete anything which doesn't come under the "Not Accessed For 14 Days" rule, which I can't check as I don't have any files in there which fit that description.

The only spanner in the works of that conclusion is that you managed to delete one. I wish I could also get it to work and then hopefully get it to happen for Neoacuity but no go here I'm afraid.

What we need now is some input from a couple of courageous members who may also have a go at deleting some prefetch files using the include routine. There must be others who are trying this themselves, if just to satisfy their curiosity.

Well, I don't know what you two are doing, as I did get .pf files deleted, if not shown in analysis. I'm on XPSP3, but on CC 3.05. I'll try again when I go to 3.07 shortly.

Same here Augeas, as DennisD stated and I strongly concur; I don't doubt you for a second and it just is not happening on my confuser either. Just plain peculiar

EDIT---updated from 3.06 and Same condition applies to 3.07.1457

• Moderators

Ran it again to be sure.

Opened DoPDF, a prog I haven't used for a while with no previous prefetch entry. The entry appeared in the prefetch folder, closed DoPDF.

Dragged the DoPDF entry to CC's Include secion. Ran Custom Files analyse, nothing. Ran Custom Files clean, DoPDF entry cleaned.

This was with the Old Prefetch Data checked, as it is my standard setting.

Ran it again (except that I didn't have to drag the DoPDF prefetch entry to CC's Include, as it was already there from the above). Unchecked Old Prefetch Files, ran Custom Files analyse (nothing) and clean, entry gone.

I am running analyse and clean by right-clicking the particular options in CC, so as to get a clearer view of things.

• Moderators

This is just weird.

I duplicated your way exactly by running a program, "Windows Movie Maker", I haven't used since I don't know when. A couple of years at least.

Dragged the newly created .pf file into the Include window, analysed by right clicking the "Custom Files And Folders" checkbox.

Nothing appeared. Ran CCleaner by the same right click and ...

... still there.

Same thing happens with the prefetch box unchecked.

I give up.

:)

Augeas and DennisD, perhaps you as "Moderators" should contact Piriform and report this as a bug as no one from Piriform has stepped in to shed light on this matter unless they are trying to figure out what the deal maybe or, just perhaps, the belief is that the issue is not worthy of clarification?

I ran R-Wipe&Clean and it did remove all "Prefetch Traces" in the C:\windows\prefetch folder therefore, I am under this assumption that OS or my system as a whole has nothing to do with preventing files from being deleted by CCleaner.

Thanks to both of you for your efforts.

Regards,

• Moderators
I give up.

I lied.

I've found a way for you to have complete control over all the prefetch files.

Make a copy of the prefetch folder by a simple "Ctrl+left mouse click hold and drag", to an empty area of the Windows folder, or copy and paste it inside the Windows folder. You'll now have a "prefetch_2".

Then delete the original prefetch folder manually (or move it somewhere else if you want to hang onto it), and rename the copy to "prefetch".

A CCleaner analyse will show up any included files, and delete them.

I don't know if this new prefetch folder will revert to being undeletable after a reboot, as I'm busy doing something which means I won't be rebooting for some time, but you can find that out yourself of course.

EDIT: An afterthought. The renamed prefetch folder still works as it should as I tested it with Moviemaker again, and the new entry appeared as it should.

• Moderators

Ah ha! Dennis and Neo, a breakthough (maybe). It's the pic that holds the clue. Dennis, you're using secure deletion. I kicked off DoPDF again, created the prefetch entry (the include entry was still there), set secure deletion to one pass, ran Custom Files clean and nothing was removed!. I went back to normal deletion, ran clean, and the prefetch entry went.

Now all hangs on whether Neo uses secure deletion. I almost feel excited.

P.S. During testing I added a non .pf file to the prefetch folder. I tried to delete it and Windows didn't allow this, or a rename. Secure deletion edits, renames and deletes. Perhaps it's this?