Cleaning Read-Only Files

MarkSi

I've added some additional items to my winapp2.ini file. One of the folders that I added to be cleaned had a had about 50 files that matched the pattern that I used to specify the files to delete.

When I ran CCleaner and analyzed that particular item, only three files showed up to be removed.

Turns out that all, but three of those files had their read-only attribute turned on.

Now, that's the normal status for these files. The application usually sets these as read only files. They are backups.

(To be more specific, these are backups of the hosts file made by Spybot Search & Destroy. If I perform a cleaning, I want to remove those backup files.) Is there a modifier to the rules that will tell it to force the deletion of read only files that match the spec?

Turns out that all, but three of those files had their read-only attribute turned on.

I do not understand your grammar.

What has the "read-only attribute turned on", the 3 files CCleaner can see or the other 47 files ?

What do you want CCleaner to do with the group of 3 ?

What do you want CCleaner to do with the group of 47 ?

Malware Protection software may use various techniques to protect files it creates,

and you should not expect CCleaner to destroy what is protected.

Have you asked Spybot Support/User Forum for advice on whether these files are essential and under their protection,

or whether there is a way for you to disable such protection ?

Could it be that you don't have access to edit the files at all? When I try to run CCleaner on my highschools computers (as I will when this period is over- I'm in school now) it always picks up all of the windows update logs and whatnot, but being on a student account, I don't have permissions to delete them (I can open them in read only mode though)

• 8 years later...
On 25/05/2011 at 13:20, Andavari said:

CCleaner is only unable to remove locked files, for instance WindowsUpdate.log, etc. Read-only files will be removed.

On my end, read only folders will not be removed.

I would like to remove C:\Users\<Username>\3D Objects\

It's listed in the overview with

C:\Users\<Username>\3D Objects\*.*

... but inside the properties dialog, "Drive or Folder" is selected.

I'm running the latest update of CCleaner.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Tahtu said:

I would like to remove C:\Users\<Username>\3D Objects\

Deleting what may be considered as a system folder I doubt the makers of CCleaner would implement.

This may or may not be what you're after, it's what I found when searching:
https://www.howtogeek.com/331361/how-to-remove-the-3d-objects-folder-from-this-pc-on-windows-10/